I also have a desk job. It is hard to meet training schedules. By being in shape I mean really in shape. Not all bulked up from working out with weights. I am 29 and I train my little cousin(15) in shaolin. He would be the picture of physical fitness just by looking at him. Yet when we train he gets winded way too easily. My point is kung fu is about developing energy and fast twitch muscles. All I ever here about is applications. If the person you are fighting is not fatigued and you are, all the techniques and hidden applications won't save you. Sorry to make it sound like all Americans are out of shape. In my travels most are though.
In a way I am defending wushu because everyone bashes it but few do it well. Yet everyone considers traditional to be all these applications. Someone in one of these forums said that they are disciple of this guy and blah blah blah. Anyway he said there was a tournament so he would have to get back in shape. He should have been in shape to begin with! More training!