Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tai chi practitioner wins mixed martial arts tournament

Originally posted by KungFuGuy!

Dre, it's not so much being "strong" in a martial art that causes you to echo that style in other arts you study, it's that if it's the first thing you studied for a decent amount of time, elements of that art tend to incorporate themselves into your style with other arts. I experience pretty much the same thing as you, only with taekwondo.
    Yeah, I know this thread is a few days older than dirt, but I disagree with this. muay thai wasn't my first style or the first I studied for a decent amount of time, but it's what comes out most, because that's what I was strongest at.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

When the only things a guy has trained in preparation for his MMA includes Chi Kung, 5 Steps, and 8 Gates, what system is he's using?

It's not everyday that a Tai Chi player beats a Team Quest fighter from Couture's gym. Maybe all the idiots who posted on this thread trying to tear down and dismiss J's Tai Chi skillz were just suffering from shell-shock. ...ah the memories...
    Last edited by Shooter; 03-17-2003 at 12:06 AM.
    Tai Chi is

It's not everyday that a Tai Chi player beats a Team Quest fighter from Couture's gym.
    A tad disingenuous, but true, in and of itself.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Disingenuous? Not intentionally. I'm just giving props to J.

He and his teamates have already done more to proof their TCC in the public arena than most every 'teacher' or fellow player on this continent ever will.
    Last edited by Shooter; 03-17-2003 at 01:04 PM.
    Tai Chi is

Amen to that.

I have already promised myself I am going to come play up there sometime. I hope you don't mind
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Merryprankster, that'd be hellakewl. *cracking knuckles*
    Tai Chi is