Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unity of artforms.

I used to play volleyball at a relatively high level and found there were a lot of things in common between MA and volleyball, except that volleyball also emphasised the team element.

I have been told that rock climbing shares a lot in common with MA as well - focus, technique over brute strength etc.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I play B-ball but not often enough. My secon dpassion in life is Golf. I was introduced to this maddening sport two years ago. This will be my third year o fplaying and I simply love the individualness of the sport - same as my MAs.

I've found my MAs history has helped tremendously in being physically nimble both in flexibility and tempo, and the quest to find my swing has lead me to research and develop the fundamentals as it relates to me.

The discipline of MAs as always crosses many aspects, Golf easily being yet another.

In my first year I broke 100 twice. In my second year I shot consistently in the low 90s. I might or might not take a mulligan now and then - I'm not on Tour so I'm not a stickler for The Rules of Golf. My practise this Winter was on my swing and engraining muscle memory - sounds familiar, eh? The practise ranges are just starting to open up where I live so I can start to train on course and on the range. My goal - low 80s.

It is also incremental as MAs. But Golf is a helluva lot more $$$ than MAs! Good thing I'm independently wealthy Well, once every two weeks anywho...

nospam.

Apoweyn, you're not the only one. I played basketball for two seasons in a church league as a kid. I scored 4 points; 1 my first year and 3 the second. I sucked at b-ball, and still do. The sad thing is I have lived my whole life in Kentucky. KENTUCKY, for christsakes, where EVERYONE eats, sleeps, and breathes the freakin' UK Wildcats!! I meet someone from the other side of the earth, they find out I'm a Kentuckian, they IMMEDIATELY think I know everything about basketball and Thorobred horse racing!!! AAAAAAHHH!!!!!

Sorry guys, rant over.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

4. Thumbs up

Plenty of thanks.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by joedoe

I have been told that rock climbing shares a lot in common with MA as well - focus, technique over brute strength etc.
    Id have to agree with this, with caveats. Ive only been going climbing for a few months but im already starting to see so many similarities.

There are 'internal' and 'external' schools in climbing, you know? kinda

Some people just use brute strength to haul themselves up the wall and other's take the technical route using correct weight transfer, technique and balance. Climbing can also be slow and thoughtfull or fast and dynamic.

Its also really interested me to note the quick learning of new skills and abilities that very soon plateau's and must then be worked at HARD to make any further progress. Very similar to the way I have found I advance in martial arts (and I guess any other activity).

The adrenaline buzz is there in spades. Instead of controlling yourself and beating an opponent your controlling yourself and 'beating' the route up the wall.

All good stuff.

I too truly suck at basketball. Growing up in England though it wasnt really a sport we played much. Rugby and football all teh time. I suck at them too. Not really keen on team sports.

KUNG FU IS NOT A SPORT IT IS A KILLING ART WHEN YOU CLOSELINE A YONGER BALLER WHAT IF HE EYEGOUGES YOU AS YOU GO FOR THE TAKEDOWN?!!??!?!?!!!
    LOL… eye gouges… do u reeeeally think they can get a gouge on me when they haven't practiced them at full power/speed on a live blah blah blah… f'n hobbyist ...

all this b-ball talk… I cant wait until Sat… I need some new kicks tho…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Originally posted by Cheese Dog
    Apoweyn, you're not the only one. I played basketball for two seasons in a church league as a kid. I scored 4 points; 1 my first year and 3 the second. I sucked at b-ball, and still do. The sad thing is I have lived my whole life in Kentucky. KENTUCKY, for christsakes, where EVERYONE eats, sleeps, and breathes the freakin' UK Wildcats!! I meet someone from the other side of the earth, they find out I'm a Kentuckian, they IMMEDIATELY think I know everything about basketball and Thorobred horse racing!!! AAAAAAHHH!!!!!

Sorry guys, rant over.

My wife went to law school in Bloomington, Indiana. We dated long distance for 2 years. So on my first visit out to Bloomington, we went with some friends of hers to a local pool hall. We're hanging out, chatting, etc. All's well. Then her friend Alexander tells this story about how he's at the driving range and in the booth next to him is Bobby Knight. Alexander was all psyched because Knight had asked him how he was doing. Everyone listening is like, "that's awesome!"

Me: "Who's Bobby Knight?"

Man, that conversation went quiet quickly. I mean, I kinda new he was a sports figure. Could probably even have guessed that he was a basketball coach. But the fact that I not only didn't know as much, but wasn't exuberant about the guy was literally shocking to these people.

[shrug]

Hey, if he's not going to get excited over me, I'll be d-mned if I'm going to get excited over him.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I think the common thread to any and all of these things, though, is probably that it's an activity you feel comfortable enough with that you can relax as you perform it. Your mind is free enough of technical thoughts that you can 1) get into minutiae 2) free associate or 3) deeply contemplate something completely different.

I've noticed that I usually get my 'epiphanies' driving in the car. It's a mechanical activity that I've practiced so often that it's sorta mindless. Sorta wu wei. Focused enough that I don't get completely distracted. But automatic enough that my mind is sorta freed up.

The trick is hanging on to that feeling after I get out of the car (which, even on my most 'enlightening' commutes, I'm always itching to do).

Stuart B.

yeah driving is the best… I wish I was as automatic in the ring…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Originally posted by Suntzu
    yeah driving is the best… I wish I was as automatic in the ring…
    I'd have said the same thing before those two idiotic accidents.