Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickboxing: Kung fu and Karate at advanced levels?

Kickboxing: Kung fu and Karate at advanced levels?

Last Saturday, me and some friends decided to do a little free sparring in the backyard, with pads and such. All of us are instructor grade and pretty advanced in our respective styles. What struck me when we began free-sparring, was that the stuff we were doing looked almost identical to kickboxing, except for some trapping and throws.

I've witnessed this before at the Sabaki challenge, a full-contact karate tournament held by some Karate school who's name I forget at the moment...

Anyway, seeing blackbelts in Shotokan, Wada Ryu, Goju, and other karate styles degenerate from wonderful pre-set demonstrations complete with spectacular throws, and reverse punch knockdowns, to sloppy, slappy, kicking fests once the full contact tournament begins is rather depressing.

I can't really name a Kung Fu counterpart, except for Chinese kickboxers, but they're kickboxers, and they look a lot better than what I saw at the various Sabaki challenges.

So is Kickboxing the pinnacle of arts like Karate and/or Kung Fu? In the end, when it comes to fighting with these styles, are we to become nothing more than sloppy looking kickboxers? Is all the forms, kata, etc. we learned for nothing?

Yup, Kung Fu sux, better go MMA.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Yeah, your wasting your time. Go do some kickboxing.

Kickboxing is the real street lethal.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Last Saturday, me and some friends decided to do a little free sparring in the backyard, with pads and such. All of us are instructor grade and pretty advanced in our respective styles. What struck me when we began free-sparring, was that the stuff we were doing looked almost identical to kickboxing, except for some trapping and throws.

I've witnessed this before at the Sabaki challenge, a full-contact karate tournament held by some Karate school who's name I forget at the moment...

Anyway, seeing blackbelts in Shotokan, Wada Ryu, Goju, and other karate styles degenerate from wonderful pre-set demonstrations complete with spectacular throws, and reverse punch knockdowns, to sloppy, slappy, kicking fests once the full contact tournament begins is rather depressing.

I can't really name a Kung Fu counterpart, except for Chinese kickboxers, but they're kickboxers, and they look a lot better than what I saw at the various Sabaki challenges.

So is Kickboxing the pinnacle of arts like Karate and/or Kung Fu? In the end, when it comes to fighting with these styles, are we to become nothing more than sloppy looking kickboxers? Is all the forms, kata, etc. we learned for nothing?

Chinese kickboxing is san shou.
    There are rules that are applied, but it is essentially that.

The pinnacle of your art form is in your ability to apply what you have been developing through your practice.
    If you are unable to apply more advanced techniques then you need to practice more and of course test you ability more.

Kickboxing is not "sloppy, slappy, kicking fests" in it's competition level form. Certainly, an artform developed for martial application should not be designed to be that either.

Forms contain keys, keys open doors and in martial arts, those doors lead to understanding. From this understanding as a holistic being (body/mind/essence) you can attain Kungfu.

so don''t worry, just keep practicing.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kickboxing shmickboxing. Everyone knows only Muy Thai crossed with Bjj is effective.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

OK here's my serious answer.

A lot of people end up fighting with a kickboxing style because the techniques of kickboxing are among the simplest and most immediately and broadly useful striking techniques. People who have not trained their art enough, or who do not have the confidence to employ the principles of their art will rely on the simplest and most broadly useful techniques - hence looking like kickboxing. There is nothing wrong with this except that if you want to fight so that you look like you are fighting with your art rather than with kickboxing, then it means you need to practice fighting with your art more and build your confidence in that manner of fighting.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

I would also like to add that when you are ingaged in a friendly sparring match the tendency is to size up your opponent and engage in a friendly exchange of mostly straight punches and none threatening kicks. San sau is a little different. I have yet to attend a kung fu tournement where the sparring does not look like kickboxing.

Good Post, joedoe
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by monk weed
    I would also like to add that when you are ingaged in a friendly sparring match the tendency is to size up your opponent and engage in a friendly exchange of mostly straight punches and none threatening kicks. San sau is a little different. I have yet to attend a kung fu tournement where the sparring does not look like kickboxing.
    I don't think I'd agree with that. When I spat, I don't change my techniques, only the speed/strength that's used, depending on how we are sparring.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks 7*. I like to occasionally contribute something to the forum other than the usual drivel I come up with

Re: Kickboxing: Kung fu and Karate at advanced levels?

Originally posted by ArrowFists

Go to kazaa and do a search for kyokushin. they've got some nice kicks - the roundhouse reminds me of the thai roundhouse, almost. I used to train with a japanese friend of mine who kicked the same way - he had some of the hardst strikes of anyone I've ever been hit by, and he was 5'5 and weighed 160 or so.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Ditto Monkweed. In every tournament I've been to where sparring is one of the events, I have yet to see someone lean down into a front stance, and block using a traditional karate block, or do a backstance and employ chambered had techniques.

I'd also like to thank those contributers who are being serious, and not acting like this is another thread that bashes traditional styles, that's not my intention with this thread in the least. I'm simply asking why in competitions around the country, people can do their forms wonderfully, but when it comes time for sparring, the form shown in their katas are erased, and a kickboxing-looking stance, and fighting style are employed. I've seen it throughout Kung Fu and Karate, and throughout the ranks, from white to black belt/sash.

I'm simply asking why. Joedoe says that its a lack of training, and confidence in one's style. Well if that's the case, then we have a serious epidemic on our hands.

Kung Lek, I wasn't calling kickboxing "sloppy, slappy, kickfests". I was talking about the Sabaki challenge participants, and the style they were doing that they called "karate".

Arrowfists

The other thing to bear in mind (and this is speaking for kung fu - I don't know much about karate) is that the protective gear worn often hampers the ability to use certain techniques. If you are wearing full boxing gloves, then you are pretty limited to what techniques you may use. I know MMA comps use open fingered gloves, but we are not talking about MMA comps here. And if the tournaments you are talking about use open fingered gloves, then you also have to look at the rules of competition to see what techniques are legal. Ultimately if the rules only allow you to kick and punch then you are limited to mostly kickboxing techniques aren't you?

However, if none of this is the case, then yes you have a serious epidemic on your hands

Re: Re: Kickboxing: Kung fu and Karate at advanced levels?

Originally posted by SevenStar

Go to kazaa and do a search for kyokushin. they've got some nice kicks - the roundhouse reminds me of the thai roundhouse, almost. I used to train with a japanese friend of mine who kicked the same way - he had some of the hardst strikes of anyone I've ever been hit by, and he was 5'5 and weighed 160 or so.
    As a student of Shotokan karate for over a decade, I know all about Kyokushin. In fact, our school is a fusion of Shotokan and Kyokushin karate.