Thread: ATTN: Apoweyn!

ATTN: Apoweyn!

Hey, I have been taking some Kali classes as of late and I have to say, the huba (SP?) is a lot of fun, but the locks and breaks are kick a$$!!!! I am not real deep into it yet, done a lot of the boxing type stuff, just started getting into the huba and locks!

ghthomason, I am in the progress of sort of determining what I want to focus on. Right now I do Kali twice a week, Muy Thai twice a week and grappling once a week. I also do about an hour in the mornings on my own and an hour or two in the evenings, either after I get home from class, or on days I don't have class. On weekends I manage to squeeze in about 2-3 hours in the mornings.The Muy thai and Kali seem to compliment each other fairly well so some of that training sort of crosses over, and the grappling and Kali cross over some as well.

There are two prioriteis in my life, My wife is first, my study o fthe martial arts is second. Fortunately for me, my wife is now studying Muy thai and Kali!

red5angel,

glad to hear it, mate.

'hubud.' short for 'hubud lubud.' generally translated, i think, as 'to tie and untie.'

(disclaimer: i've had that spelling corrected once by a native filipino. but generally, that's how you'll see it spelled in magazine articles, etc.)

yeah, i'm a big fan of the destructions too. takes some time to get them integrated into sparring, mind you.

i've always thought that kali and muay thai were a great match too. i think kali adds some diversity. and the overall self evidence of muay thai is almost undisputable.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Hubud! For some reson it sounded like Huba! Regardless that was probably the most fun I have had in a martial arts class in a long time.

The destructions were very cool and I really was impressed by how well you can make several flow from one to the other in a chain! OUCH!

I haven't done much of the kicking in Kali yet, but I understand it covers that as well as some ground work. I can also say that the handwork (panantukan?) in Muy Thai and Kali both seem to be very similar.

trust me. "hubud" sounds precisely like "huba" when it's spoken. [shrug] whaddya gonna do.

panantukan varies a bit depending on who's teaching it, i suspect. (that's a fairly safe statement, eh?) my instructors referred to empty hand as 'mano mano' (hand hand). it was a mix of boxing-type handwork, slapping parries into knifehand counters, etc. i injected more elbows based on what i'd seen and read in magazines and books (mostly dan inosanto's stuff).

the kicking (also known as sikaran) was strictly low-line. more flicky than muay thai kicks, but a good complement for that very reason. the oblique kick was my favorite, personally. same kick occurs in wing chun. like a front kick, but with the toes angled outward, opening up the hips a little more.

there is grappling in kali. 'dumog.' but i haven't seen it. my school didn't broach that one.

honestly, though, i tend to think of these things not really as systems themselves. more like acknowledgments by various FMA people that such things are necessary. so i'm not sure that dumog is a wrestling system distinct from judo or BJJ or catch. i haven't seen it and don't know what distinguishes it. but i suspect that dumog was essentially various guys saying, "yep, grappling happens. so we'd better know how to do it."

take cacoy canete for example. he's an avid grappler. but i've not heard him use the specific term 'dumog.' he's done judo and jiujutsu. and he's integrated it with the other things he's done. for ease of reference, he calls it eskrido.

when you get more into the dumog, i'll be interested to hear what it's like.

stuart b.

Hubud lubud also means dressing and undressing..lol. What style of Kali is it? I definately think Dumog exist is a separate style, thought most often integrated with Kali, atleast from what I've heard from my teacher. It's very heavy on conditioning as I understand it. The little I've done was mostly clinching and headbutting methods.

well, there you go. that answers that. thanks kinjit.

AP, I am not real clear yet on the distinction in terms. We have a Panantukan class which seems to be alot like boxing. We have the Silat class which goes over quite a bit, striking, kicking, some grappling.
    As for the grappling, I haven't heard anything specific and it doesn't sound like they teach a full blown grappling style in the Kali classes, but there are a lot of stand up to ground transitions and some basic grappling

Kinjit, for the above reasons I am not sure what the style is, the only terms I have heard are panantukan, silat, kali. All of these are the same as taught by Dan Inosanto I imagine since Rick Faye, my instructor, learnt from him.

be warned that the terminology could potentially give you fits.

eskrima, kali, arnis de mano (FMA)
    pangolisi (stickfighting)
    panantukan, pangamot, mano mano (empty hand)
    pananjakman, sikaran (kicking)

with countless dialects, the terminology is an interesting proposition all on its own.

stuart b.

Hubud Lubud or Tapi-Tapi kicks arse. There are a lot of great elements to that flow drill. Try it blindfolded.

Kinjit- Thats the same experiance I had with some of the dumog I did with the exception of a lot of armdrags and offbalancing methods.

I should be doing some dumog this Sunday. It's good stuff but hard to find, even harder in its own style.

Red, what system of kali are you working with?
    Regards

Apparently there also exist a sport version of dumog. Very interesting!