Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Respected style outside

No prob...

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I think this is the first time I disagree with you, man. Like I said, my judo coach is 73 - I know for a fact it can be done into old age. you only have to train right. you're not gonna be taking full force throws at that age, but you can definitely roll.
    Hey we can't agree about everything, bruh'! I didn't say everyone that grappled or did full contact stuff would be crippled. I just said that the chances were most folks don't have the genetics to endure continuous punishment. Your sensei probably trained smart yet hard. He's probably just innately resilient. I know for a fact that many BJJ guys and Thai Boxers are broke up like football players by the time they are in their late 30s.

The old school Judo cats were into punishing themselves as were many original karate guys. Some guys go all out, and train TOO hard. I know of some Shorinkan bad-asse s who needed a complete hip replacemnet by the time they were 45! That's from wear and tear (from hard sparring), too much stressing and forcing your stretches, and too many high kicks! So bad training includes "traditional" systems also.

To try and explain the reality of the world to someone who only understands and lives in his/her reality, is impossible. I can say that the orig. MP, 7 ("G") Star, and Rogue are 3 of the folks that I respect on this board. I may not agree with them totally sometimes, but they are diplomatic (something I lack) and very astute. Oh yeah, Ryu is included too, even if he teaches JKD (j/k of course)!

I still respect and like you, even if we disagree Sev'. Peace....
    The morrow beckons...

Thumbs down

just to let all y'all outside o teh mantis board
    I NEVER ASKED FOR ANY OF YOUR OPINIONS!
    if it wasnt moved we wouldnt o had this problem.

and you REALLY felt that was necessary to say? Ah well. If it makes you feel better, I mod the southern forum and do look at the NPM forum from time to time.... If I woulda seen this thread there, I still woulda replied. it's a DISCUSSION forum....
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

"BUT as I said it takes too long to learn all of this so learning tai chi is like teh last thing to do if all you wanna do is fight"

Wrong. Wrong diddly wrong wrong.

Dude rode into town on a horse called ignorance.

Intensity of training my man. Obviously things take time, but hey, it'll take a bit of time to be a GOOD Western boxer.

I just said that the chances were most folks don't have the genetics to endure continuous punishment.
    Sadly for me I have those genetics. For the longest time I could train my a$$ off, but now I'm not mending like I used to. My mom recently had a knee replacement and while I marvel at what medical science accomplished I'm in no hurry to end up needing the procedure.

'MegaPoint how's med school going?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Wrong. Wrong diddly wrong wrong. Dude rode into town on a horse called ignorance
    I don't know why, but this made me laugh my ass off. I completely agree with you about the boxing thing scotty. You may learn all the techniques in a very short time, but it could be a very long while before your ready for the title fight.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

good looking out!

Originally posted by rogue
    Sadly for me I have those genetics. For the longest time I could train my a$$ off, but now I'm not mending like I used to. My mom recently had a knee replacement and while I marvel at what medical science accomplished I'm in no hurry to end up needing the procedure.

'MegaPoint how's med school going?
    You seem like a cat that's wid' it. Be good to your mind-body "weapon". You deserve that. Intelligent/real warriors (and people) are few and far between.

I'm almost finished with my fourth year. I'll be going into PMNR (Physical Medicine and Rehab). My internship starts in August. Thanks for asking, and keep striving to be you.

When are we gonna see you in a Hollywood MA flick? Represent... Peace, "7od"!
    The morrow beckons...

Originally posted by shaolin kungfu

I don't know why, but this made me laugh my ass off. I completely agree with you about the boxing thing scotty. You may learn all the techniques in a very short time, but it could be a very long while before your ready for the title fight.
    I don't think we're talking about title fights though... take a guy and train him in boxing for 6 months. Do the same with another guy, but train him in TMA. After 6 months, let them fight. In several TMA schools, it may be three to four months before you do any fighting at all - maybe longer. Maybe the style doesn't fight at all. In boxing, they will start sparring in about 4 weeks. even if he's not a GOOD boxer, he's got months of experience under his belt that the other guy doesn't have.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Good point seven...

You make a very valid point. However, If a tai chi practitioner did start sparring early on(as I recommend they do), I believe they could use the few techniques they know effectively. They would not have the full range of techs available in the style, but what he does have is effective.

I have both boxed and done tai chi, and both have a lot to offer. Boxing is easy to pick up and starts you sparring extremely quick. Tai chi has a wide range of different techs to offer the practitioner. It's true most tma schools don't get sparring soon, if ever. In this case I recommend that people spar outside of the school.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Most respected arts (out of my own) for me would be Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and western boxing for their directness and "no bull****" attitude.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Re: Good point seven...

Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
    You make a very valid point. However, If a tai chi practitioner did start sparring early on(as I recommend they do), I believe they could use the few techniques they know effectively. They would not have the full range of techs available in the style, but what he does have is effective.
    agreed.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

outside of wing chun, which i am obviously biased towards:

i have much respect for GOOD xing yi and GOOD tai chi from what i've heard (not much respect when the internal arts get *******ized and are done purely for health - i'd rather do yoga).
    also white crane, if wing chun came from it, it can't be all bad

i'm not too interested/impressed in boxing as a complete art, because of its lack of legwork, but to each their own.
    Travis

structure in motion

forget completeness. no one art is truly "complete" what about the effectiveness of it?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Yeah I agree that boxing would become 'usable' probably quicker than taiji but that's not what the guy said. He said

"learning tai chi is like teh last thing to do if all you wanna do is fight"

and that I disagree with.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    forget completeness. no one art is truly "complete" what about the effectiveness of it?

mabye i'm just being single-minded when i doubt the efficacy of boxing when the kicks, knees and elbows start flying. yes, i agree boxers can hit **** hard. they are **** good with their set of rules.

i'm not giving the "oh but i can poke you in the eyes and win!" defense here, but from watching boxing (which i have been impressed with), i admit they are excellent in their skill set but i think could be extremely troubled with an opponent with the same amount of training who had experience with kicks, knees and elbows - not to mention any sort of groundfighting.
    Travis

structure in motion