Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got into a fight and forgot all my training!!!

He's going to throw wild haymakers to take your head off.
    I love it when they do that

Often you spend so long training to fight the technical genius uber-fighter that you tend to forget that the average fight on the street isn't going to be careful, cat-like stalking followed by blurring attack and counterattack.

Generally it is some slobbering drunk wanker who is trying to do the haymaker thing. I can smack around a couple of my MA buddies just by simply not fighting with any skill i.e. crude unorthodox attacks.

That said some of the others can whip me black and blue if I try that!

Whatever works
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

Woohoo! The censor thing doesn't know "WANKER".

God bless Australia and our colloquialisms
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

Originally posted by straight blast
    Woohoo! The censor thing doesn't know "WANKER".

God bless Australia and our colloquialisms
    And no need to tell the uninformed what it means.

They even had to explain some terms in "Austin Powers" for the US audiences.

What exactly is "forgetting" your training? Does your punch come out retarded or something. You forget how to block a hit?
    It's when you fight as if you've never trained. I don't mean the techniques not being as clean as they are in the dojo, but technique, positioning and whatever else you've spent hours practicing to supposedly make you a better fighter don't even show up to the fight. You're fighting like the average Joe, making the same mistakes.

Let's try putz, shmuck, yutz.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Freezing is a common occurance in "real" situations. The best simulation for a real fight is competiton, because the same adrenaline dump takes place in the ring, that does on the street. Ever see football players before a big championship game? Most of them are puking or crapping on themselves because they're so nervous. And when its gametime, they make stupid mistakes like interceptions, or missing easy passes. All that training goes out the window and it comes down to natural talent. After the first 5-10 minutes are over, you'll start to see the nerves calm down, and the training resurface, but how many fights last as long as the first quarter of a football game?

I agree with Dragonz that (at least in my experience) boxing/kickboxing is the best methods of stand-up fighting out there, and Judo/Bjj is the best method of grappling. Real fights don't look like the movies, and when thugs throwdown, they don't do sloppy karate/kung fu, they do sloppy boxing and wrestling, two things that boxing/kickboxing, and Judo/bjj exponents train against everytime they enter the gym.

Just to toss this in the fire, I once saw a kid in kung fu do some amazing drunken form. However when it came time for this kid to spar, he wasn't doing drunken style, he was doing something that resembled American kickboxing (except his hands were down to his waist). No worries, the Karate guy he was going against did the exact same thing. Put them up against a skilled kick/boxer and they're toast, guarenteed.

Originally posted by rogue
    It's when you fight as if you've never trained. I don't mean the techniques not being as clean as they are in the dojo, but technique, positioning and whatever else you've spent hours practicing to supposedly make you a better fighter don't even show up to the fight. You're fighting like the average Joe, making the same mistakes.
    It was a rhetorical question. We all know what it means.
    Somehow it seems to be the opinion that it is the absolute condition. It is not. It is the condition of those that don't fight with contact at their schools. Thats it. Period.

In all honesty, I really really hate to fight, but the couple of times I have, I do use what Ive learned training, but its to the extent that my mind just kinda takes over the body... Dont really think to block or hit, my arms just do it on their own. Dont mean to dance around, but my feet already arent listening to my brain. honestly, my technique doesnt get sloppy. I just dont think before I move. (at least not slow enough for me to realize...)

You probably have to train to fight for it to stick in that kind of situation...so I agree with those saying that putting yourself into levels of sparring that are less than comfortable or are even highly intimidating..as that gets you used to the kind of pressure you may be under, and the realities of some types of fighting. K.I.S.S. works...do your basics enough regularly for long enough, and your advanced techniques will eventually become your basics. Then there is not too much you can forget.
    -Golden Arms-

Originally posted by Golden Arms
    ...do your basics enough regularly for long enough, and your advanced techniques will eventually become your basics.
    I will wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

I've been slowly upping the level of contact in my sparring sessions over the past month or so - and I've noticed in this environment only the most basic of technqiues were coming out.

Slowly, the more comfortable I get with this sort of scenario, the more other movements have started to simply flow into place.

My Sifu has always said - Don't fight differently to the way you train.

This is true both of the style analogies that have been discussed (i.e. total lack of training being utilised) to the point of - if you don't train WITH some contact, or even some sort of pressure - how do you expect to fight under that circumstance?

That being said - not all of us are in this game for purely self defense reasons, and going home with bruises 3 times a week is not for everyone (hey.. sometimes its not even for me... well.. sometimes)

Just my 2c
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'