Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power training?

now that i've returned to training after 8 months off i can definitely say that weights have absolutely nothing to do with power. i'm weak .... i realized how weak i was when i helped my buddy move a little while ago. i mean im not struggling with 20lbs or anything, but im definitely running at about 40-50% strength. i expected the same when i returned to the heavy bag a month and a half ago. surprisingly though my striking did not deteriorate anywhere near that level. i was probably striking about 70% from the get go and have been quickly improving. i'd say im creeping up on 85% of my old power. i always believed it to be true, but this proved to me how little strength had to do with power.

all this said i love lifting and can't wait to get back to it. it's not like you'll never be able to use strength in a fight.

off the top of my head my main power generation exercises would be 2 breathing sets, stance work, the heavy bag, pad work, drilling slowly with a partner, striking a brick wall very - fairly slow, slow sparing.

done in full (working back up to it now) the first breathing set involves sitting in horse for about 15 minutes while doing simple arm movements along with your breath. without break i go immediately into another which involves going down to thighs parallel, holding it, coming back up, back down etc. this helps me build root which a little guy like me needs to have any power at all. all the emphasis on slow training is to give your body the time needed to perfect everything for whatever type of power you are generating. gives you time to adjust and to feel what every inch needs to be doing when whipping, sinking, turning, spiraling, etc. it's honestly a toss up to me as to which is more valuble in my power training... bag work or slow training. the more i train the more i'm leaning towards slow training. ill always do both though.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 04-15-2003 at 12:30 PM.
    where's my beer?

It's all in how you lift. A good strength program does indeed increase power. Learning how to apply it is a different story.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 04-15-2003 at 12:34 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

my power training...

heavy bag work, two man drills concentrating on resistance,stance work(mostly horse), mild weight lifting.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Heavy bag workouts are good for power, but if using a heavy bag you need to do more speed training. Heavy bags get you used to your hand stopping at contact.
    I usually do lots of wrist push ups and dips, then pushing and breathing drills....

Originally posted by fa_jing
    I think to a Kung Fu practicioner, it's the other way around.

But I could be wrong.

Edit: the first thing that comes to my mind is training that involves hitting a bag.
    I'd consider that external.

Even for a kung fu practitioner, I'd bet most external guys would think of external things - notice what's been mentioned so far - stance work, 3 star drills, bagwork, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

hmmmm, Did we inadvertently discover the difference between internal and external?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

"Answer = muscles can only perform effectively in the EXACT manner in which they are trained." WD - thats neuromuscular reactions
    But let me fix that quote - muscles can perform most effectively in the EXACT manner that they are trained.

Theres internal and external power, neither was specified in the name of this post... and Im not quite sure if you guys are arguing yet... but if you are no ones right or wrong. ;p

Nice one Shaolin-Do : this is about the different methods amongst the community. All the posts have answered my original question so I'm happy

People dabble in short-hand styles sometimes and take the principles back to whatever it was they came in on - to their 'secret' advantage

You guys have heard of the Chinese flip-off about big muscles equals easy target..? (7* excluded cos u train like a mutha!)

It's late here. g'night.

-David

Nobody seems to agree on the exact details of the external-internal divide.

I must say I'd like the definition this thread is hinting at. It neatly also includes room for styles which are not entirely external, but include (perhaps at some latter point) "internal" methods of power training.

I think this definition is a KFO special, though.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

David

It sounds like your school and my school train power in a similar way - partnered exercises rather than weights. Good to hear we aren't alone in our methods
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.