CK -
The hong kong dr. you mentioned - are the numbers based upon the ol' "feel the pulse, look at the face, look at the tongue - write a prescription for herbs" kind of practice? I've visited doctors who do this and I can see how one could see so many patients. However, in California, it seems people would like an hour treatment including extensive interview, acupuncture, moxa, ringing of bells, lighting of incense and candles - perhaps a mystic Taoist mantra on top Seems like a bit more time consuming to me...

My point is this: in CA, if you treat mostly non-Asian patients, people who visit an acupuncturist are expecting acupuncture and a short visit would not be considered a good value... maybe! I mean, you go to Kaiser, wait an hour, the dr. spends about 5-10 minutes with you and the rest is taken care of by a nurse or an assistant.... the bill is easily over $200... now, that's value? Anyways, I think in CA, the 8 patients a day is plenty ambitious figure.

BTW, I'm a Californian... (but I can do without the incense and candles - just gimme my herbs for my yaw feen plaster!)

herb ox