Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Kung Fu really work on the street?

walkthecircle Guest

that's what I'm talking about

Only when your art is so ingrained into your subconscious that when you "freak out" only your style comes out is when you are beginning to master it.

If you study monkey or tiger or hsing yi you respond like that style. Without thought...it just happens.

If you don't...and respond the same as you have before training...you and your art have not become one yet.

Few people in modern times are willing to put in the time to truly become their art.

This is why the decline of kung fu has happened. It's not the art that's defective it's the practioners that only practice 2-3 times a week for fun. Even 2 hours a day every day is pale to the masters of old dedicating 8 hours to their practice daily.

Scott Guest

Yes

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

Losttrak Guest

No clean cut answer...

Here's an example of my brother and I when we were young. My brother was a natural fighter before he ever took martial arts. I was a red-headed stepchild. His natural reaction to surprise was to strike. Mine was to scream like a little wuss. Over time I soon gained a certain calm with the unexpected, but that was the result of training. Deep down it has to do with our core values and personality. Another variable is how your mood is. There are literally times when I wish something would happen. Its really useless to dwell on how you will react or what you will do. If you train hard, and do your best I think street fighting ends up being a little less dramatic as you may expect. Usually its with some drunk guy who goes down after one punch since he can barely walk anyways. Or its some guy who was simply showing off by trying to beat you down. Watch out for the occasional professional ass beater who is looking for a notch in his belt. Best to avoid those since most experienced fighters would rather get hospitalized than live with an excruciating defeat.

Armbreaker Guest
    NO!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHA what a joke