Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plum blossom sword form

Just to add,

Hung Gar, from my experience, does not have a Fan Form. However, Hung Gar has borrowed many of the weapon forms so there may be some teachers out there who do teach a Fan Form. It is not part of my lineage and I have yet ran into one that has it.

I am not sure how other schools are ran, but I always get a quesy feeling when I hear people wnat to learn specific form. I think all students do want to learn certain forms, but it seems like too many are actually expecting to learn certain forms. Many teachers teach in a specific pattern. Some have some flexibility, but forms are typically still taught at certain stages. Some are much more advanced than others ones. I don't know where the straight sword or fan rank in Choy Li Fut, but I would just caution against focusing on these forms unless you have a choice. I have heard the straight sword is typically an advanced form for most systems. There is a lot more finese and skill in order to use it. I have no idea about the fan.

Just to through it out,
    I want to learn the long pole, Butterfly knives, and chain whips. LOL

Tom
    ________
    Fix Ps3
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    master mak teach this gim form in his kwoon ?
    No I've never seen him teach anybody the gim. We do have a fan form though which in my opinion is very nice.

Incidentally, I might mention that I believe the gim and fan are not a traditonal southern style weapons. They are more associated with northern kung fu.

Traditional Southern Kung Fu weapons are the staff, spear, dahn do, butterfly knives, etc. So CLF is real strong in these but less strong in some of the weapons associated with northern kung fu.

As my Sifu explained it to me, CLF masters of old had a kind of "me too" attitude. They want to be as comprehensive as possible so if they came across a weapon form they liked they would slightly modify and adapt it into the CLF curriculum. Then they could say "we have that weapon also. "

Another thing about the Gim, as my Taiji teacher explained to me, is that it is harder to learn than the Dahn Do. Why? Because the curved shape of the Dahn Do blade makes it easy to make nice fluid and circular movements. Where as with the straight sword it is much harder to do this because the blade is straight.

So in my opinion the Gim is a more advanced weapon and you might want to start by learning the Dahn Do.

I always thought that CLF had weapons from northern systems aswell because of the founder of CLF (was it Chan Heung, Jeong Yim, or somebody else) had teachers from both southern and northern shaolin. Atleast this is what I've heared, youve propably heared it too, but what is the truth?
    No, it's not a typo, it's Jabb.

Although not common throughout all of the WFH lineages, the fan is within the Hung Gar system as taught by the Tang Fong branch. Tang Fong was well known for his fan skills.

Blog Entries
    I always thought that CLF had weapons from northern systems aswell because of the founder of CLF (was it Chan Heung, Jeong Yim, or somebody else) had teachers from both southern and northern shaolin. Atleast this is what I've heared, youve propably heared it too, but what is the truth?
    You are correct, tt does have weapons from southern and northern kung fu traditions but what I'm saying is that I doubt they all came from Chan Heung or his Shaolin teachers. Weapons like the fan, horse bench, etc. are not "Shaolin" weapons. They are weapons of the common people.

People like to reduce the history of martial arts to single "pure" lineages. This is ludicrous. Kung Fu history is incestuous. What I mean is that actual lineages (not the recorded ones) blend together and split apart again over and over again throughout Chinese MA history. So never get into the trap of thinking you study a "pure" style and someone elses is "adulterated". There are good teachers and bad teachers. Good students and bad students. And there is always room for improvement of the individual and to the style as well.

in choyleefut.com.au you can see a short clip of tamo gim.

The gim and fan are both very well established CLF weapons, at least in Chan Family CLF. And the gim is a far more advanced weapon than the dan do.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Fu-Pow

People like to reduce the history of martial arts to single "pure" lineages. This is ludicrous. Kung Fu history is incestuous. What I mean is that actual lineages (not the recorded ones) blend together and split apart again over and over again throughout Chinese MA history. So never get into the trap of thinking you study a "pure" style and someone elses is "adulterated".
    True. It would be better if people wouldn't always argue about the lineages, just stick on the 'hard training'. It doesn't matter who created the system and which lineage is better (and I think there isn't a "better" lineage than others), but it matters that the system is out there to be learned and to be passed for the next generation.
    No, it's not a typo, it's Jabb.

FAN FORM :

master li siu hung have a instructional videotape featuring instructor joe kaith for the fling dragon fan . is a really very cool form , fast and with a lot of fighting street techniques .
    you can order the tape at www.leekoonhungkungfu.com