Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pushing

1. Thumbs up

I think Iīm with Censored.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Seriously, could one of you guys that thinks getting the resistance from your own muscles is a bad idea explain why?

Not that I do, I get the resistance in my isometrics from a solid object, but was just interested

Even if it's not an effective exercise I can't see why it would make your KF worse.

The wall is your friend.

Pushing against the wall is a great way to practice the proper body alignment to deliver strikes. You can take postures out of your forms and deliver the force to the wall. If you move away from the wall when you push on it, you aren't aligned correctly. Apply the force slowly, and don't try to beat the wall; you'll lose.

This is probably more neurologic or proprioceptive exercise than it is for building muscle. Even a little bit of activity will help to prevent your muscles from losing strength. Any way you can get them to be active without aggravating your problem is worth doing.

Yeah..what could be more stupid than for a martial artist to train OPPOSING groups of muscles to be as strong as each other??!! What were those guys thinking when they added dynamic tension to sets and forms? That would make you able to punch and kick faster, while making you stronger..what martial artist wants that??

Seriously though, dont knock it till you try it..from my experience, it does not build the muscles as big, as fast..but it does build strength and muscle density, and over time it does build you up really well...Dynamic tension is awesome.
    -Golden Arms-

Thumbs up

Dynamic tension is very useful. You can do it anywhere, it costs nothing, and you can directly exercise your muscles, tendons, and nerves in EXACTLY the way you use them in your art. I do 1 or 2 dynamic tension sets almost every day.

Not that I'm down on weight training or bodyweight exercises.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein