Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Shotokan really inferior?

Is Shotokan really inferior?

Well we hear a lot of ripping up of Shotokan schools and their members, and I don't know anyone outside of the Karate camp that's been impressed by them at tournaments. But could it be that they are simply a victim of their own success? That it is actually a great style, just that it's so popular that you get the watered-down mcDojo effect, underqualified instructors and dilution of the athletic pool/less serious participants?

This is a spin off? Where's the original?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

check out 24fightingchickens.com
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

If a shotokan guy fought a TKD guy who would win?
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

The audience would win... the site would be too funny NOT to enjoy
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

I bet it's a pretty good style because otherwise, it probably wouldn't be so popular. And it was well-regarded enough by the Koreans to take it and modify it into TKD. I have studied TKD, I don't think it's the best way to learn because the fighting is not the same as the forms. However there are plenty of formidable practicioners of both styles.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    most people have not witnessed real shotokan. Check out JKA Shotokan-Japanese Karate assn. They are the real deal. Real shotokan has great structure-very much like Hung-Ga,a killer reverse punch,destructive blocks, simultaneous block/strike, interception of opponent's intent, and aggressive footwork.Trouble is, most of what you see here in the states are guys who when stationed over in Japan, or whatever, took it for a year or two and came home and taught. Then people played 'telephone' and the rest is history.

Thumbs up

agreed when i used to train shotokan (from JKA as well) we used to do a lot of application stuff and not so much competition sparring - but that was just my sensei...

We covered a lot of stuff, not the usual bouncing around and backfisting either

I used to find it hard to compete because i was used to fighting differently, but it was fun

Really helped me get a good grounding in MA as well as saved my @ss on numerous occasions.

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

One of my teachers best buds was a Royal Marine Commando gent and a lot of his system from what I understand is stripped down old-school Shotokan karate.

The little I saw was nasty.
    Regards

most people have not witnessed real shotokan

Isn't this the case with most arts?

lol

practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I train in Shotokan... It aint flashy but belive me if you **** anyone off who knows it.. your gonna seriously get your ass handed to you.
    Really I kid you not. My Sensei is like in his 60's, but because he did shotokan everyday of his life for the past 40 years he is fast as lighting and has a huge amount of power.. he's a 7th degree
    Not to bad!!!(for 60)
    So dont mess!!! hehehe
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Uh, surfer dude, you smoke weed right? Us bud-heads can often distinguish our own...

My comment to you is, uh that's a hell of an achievement for your instructor. But if he isn't at least 7th degree at 60 years old, then something is wrong. My sifu is 6 years younger than yours and he's no less than 9th Dan in 7 different arts But that's just me talking s-h-i-t.

But what we want to know - or what I want to know - is given Japanese and Korean disciplines' predisposition to linear attacks, how would Shotokan deal with a CMA like Pa Kua, or therefore any animal style, especially Dragon or Snake? It's awfully hard to hit something that doesn't move in a straight line!

Having studied TKD and Shotokan both (very briefly!), I can't see how they could possibly match up to the CMAs.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Copyright 2003 - African Tiger Inc., a Nevada yada yada yada. Any reproduction...oh, to hell with that round kick, my knees are killing me. How about a nice Iron Palm to the nuts, sonny?

The one thing about many run of the mill Shotokan people is they don't work on tai sabaki. While the strikes in Shotokan and older TKD is linear (aka efficient) the footwork and body positioning is what makes it work.

I'd think they'd hold up well AT.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I think that the fact that Shotokan is probably the most widely practiced and best known style of Karate on the planet is what draws people to it's practice. It is also what turns people away and makes them critical of it.

It has completely useful and simple techniques the same as many other arts. Perhaps it's just not mystical enough for many? Maybe some mystify it too much?

I know and have know many a practitioner and sensei of this style of Karate. They (the sensei) are all quite good at the style and very capable of handling themselves in a confrontation.

I wouldn't sell it or any martial art short. they all have something.
    Well...except for that whacko fake ninja stuff! hahahahaha

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.