Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ATT: San Antonio members

"Philly and Atlanta are a segregationist's dream, and Chicago is WAAAAAACK! "

I disagree entirely - I grew up in Philly - only major city I know where black people dominate the government, there are large integrated areas including my neighborhood Mt. Airy which is cited as one of the top 10 examples of a successful integrated neighborhood in the USA...the one thing that everyone complains about is the f'd up city wage and gross receipt taxes which drive businesses and jobs out to the burbs - and the one -way streets downtown, but what are you going to do about that? Those streets were originally designed for horse and buggy. Also public trans is a nightmare. Beautiful area, though - lots of woods, streams, 1 hour from the ocean, 1.5 hours from incredible camping/fishing whatever in the Poconos, two hours from NY if that's your thing...

I live in Chicago now - there's definitely more segregation here, but there are still a lot of good parts - my neighborhood has Africans, Jamaicans, Mexicans, whites, African-Americans...a few blocks away is a Pakistani/Indian community, a few more blocks away is a big Jewish/Korean community. Much better run city than Philadelphia (city services, attractions) plenty to do, I think the place rocks, though the weather can stink, still there's plenty of sunny days. The disadvantages are high housing cost, not much in the way of day-trips, tough winters. Sorry you Southerners may have the weather, but I will always relate better to Northerners....

My bad

I haven't been to Philly in awhile. My bad. There was a lot of bad attitude when I was there though. One thing I can say about practically every major city, except SA, is that the Hip Hop culture is at least present in them on some level. SA is like the only top 10 city to not have a branch of the "Zulu Nation". I have to go to LA to sell my beats. I know Philly is a hot bed for real Hip Hop culture. I'm not just talking rap either. The same can be said for Chi-town. Common, 'Da Brat, so on. We are behind like a decade when it comes to Hip Hop in SA. Still, for somewhere to live the cost of living, convenience, space and friendliness of this city is 2nd to none. Peace...
    The morrow beckons...

Originally posted by TaoBoxer

During my time in san antonio I dated women of hispanic, asian, anglo and african american descent. I learned spanish for no other reason than to better treat the poor rural population of South Texas, where I was often time the ONLY health care they recieved. I worked in free clinics and for a county 911 service, treating up to 150 undocumented aliens a month for exposure and injuries sustained from entering this country illegally.
    OK, so your quick to talk about the poor old rural latinos, and how you helped los pobres mojados. Is that all you see? You're very quick to say negative things about the city, and then make references to hispanics or Mexico to back it up. Is everything negative associated with latinos?

There's a whole lot out there you're missing. Or if you do see it, you choose to reinforce the negative sterotype, and that is so much worse. Here's an example for you. I went to a wedding this weekend, and I had the chance to run into a lot of my old "poor hispanic" buddies. Franco, the groom, works for Hummer and supervises quality control at the plant. Cesar just opened his own restaurant. Armando just graduated law school and will be taking the bar in July. Jesse has 1 more year of law school to go. Tone is back in school and gets his BA in finance next year. Chris is plant supervisor at Ford. Orlando has 1 more year of med school and he will be a doctor. My other friend Chris is in territorial sales for Pitney Bowes. Raul's still not doing much, but Hey! that's just Raul Hey! at least he's educated.

Hopefully my observations will balance out your negative stereotypes so that people on the boards can get a truer representation of the community you so graciously decided to save.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

yes, Philly is kind of famous for bad attitude - actually they just aren't used to visitors/newcomers, and that's just the way people talk - it's an East Coast thang. To really appreciate the city, you almost have to have been born there - you won't find your way around easily or quickly. But man, South Philly Italian market, Fairmount Park (the largest municipal park in the country),which has a freaking great 7 mile gravel running trail in the middle of the woods by the Wissahickon river, with quarter mile markers and exercise stations, plus lots of trails if you're into mountain biking. The Art museum/area, Schukyll river, great clubs but NOT the d.umbass suburban meat markets/jello shot joints on Delaware Ave. --I mean the cool clubs like Silk City and the Bank on Spring Garden Ave, you've got Olde City area, also 17th -23rd street and Walnut/Chestnut, several jazz spots, South Street (OK too many piercings LOL), great pizza. Plus you can actually afford to live downtown if you wish. I don't know if you've hung around U of Penn but that area sucks, ignorant college kids can't figure out that you need to cross the bridge into Center City where the cool spots are. There's a nice Chinatown, better than the one here. The music scene is definitely hip. Man I'm starting to miss home.
    Last edited by fa_jing; 05-21-2003 at 06:04 PM.

Oh c'mon FaJing, the only thing that ever came out Philly was the Fresh Prince and Cheese Steaks.

'Megapoint, Watch you mouth talk about Chicago.

How's the San Antonio Martial Arts scene? Good selection?

Steven

How's the San Antonio Martial Arts scene? Good selection?
    Not very good now, but getting better. There might be more TKD schools than McDonalds here, more than Burger King for sure. Quite a bit of KMA. There are a couple of wing tsun places, and a MMA place that I haven't checked out yet, which I believe I am owed an ass whooping from sevenstar and water dragon for not checking out yet.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

The Roots, Bill Cosby, Kurupt, Pink, soft pretzels with mustard, the Hoagie, Rasheed Wallace, Benjamin Franklin.

Noam Chomsky and Mr. Roper from "Three's Company" went to my highschool.

Oh yeah?!?! Well we got, uh we have, um well...

Well we got Michael Jackson! (I don;t know if I should be proud of that or not )

There really isnt much for TCMA here in town... I just got back from martial art supply store, saw a SC buisness card WD.... hehe
    That and shaolin-do were the only kung fu ads up.... the rest were tang soo doo, tae kwan do, kuk sool won, karate do, cardio kick boxing...... ect................

Music scene : pretty weak as f*ck. gotta go to austin to catch good hip hop, but austin goes pretty hard. seen common, roots, talib kweli in the past 6 months.