Thread: A question for all Wing Chunners

A question for all Wing Chunners

A question for all. I am in search for what meets your needs for a web based store. A store that deals only for Wing Chun people. What would you like to see or what would you buy.

Most appreciated..

kung fu shoes with cloth soles
    If you have real skill, everything is dangerous.

* remember all serious practictioners are life long students

Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai Jiang

Seems simple enough. I would think you would want to carry a quallity line of wooden dummies, long poles and knives. A good dit da jow formulation. Perhaps a line of training knives made from wood or high impact plastic. Empty wall bags to be filled with beans, shot, or gravel. Various T shirts with WCK related designs that are not affiliated with any one school. Pick one or several lines of WCK books or videos to carry. Maybe some open-finger gloves, chest protectors and head guards for those that get into doing WCK in san sau competitions. And as mentioned, various models of footwear: cotton soled shoes, plastic soled shoes, and the short boots for people to pick from. That's what I would do at least. :-)

Keith

Online WC store

KPM,
    Thanks for the ideas Doc. I've already recieved my first order of Cold Steel Butterfly Swords that I plan to sell on my site. Also, I have had a friend in Canada making a PVC dummy made to the specs of the original Koo Sang dummies. The arms are made of wood and are the same as the Koo Sang arms. The original fault in the arm spacing has been fixed. We are ready to take orders for them. WC gear with generic WC logos is also a really good idea. I could see wearing a T shirt with a generic WC logo the next time I go to an event where there are other WC people to show unity.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

5. Good quality skipping ropes.

Things to avoid: cheesy patches with dragons and words that say "Kung Fu Federation" and so forth; and Bruce Lee books/videos.

secret scrolls that end all arguments over lineage once and for all...
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

Would be nice if all Wing Chun schools could get along with others and no BS like we are better then they. I would like to buy T-shirts with Wing Chun text and maybe with a good slogan, something like the famous "the shortest line between 2 points is..." that fits.

No trademarks from either school, thats up to the schools out there. BTW a really nice website you have there Phil Redmond. I have my own website about wing chun, you can check it out if you want: http://www.rodswingchun.com (in need off a update).
    [R0D]

Originally posted by foolinthedeck
    secret scrolls that end all arguments over lineage once and for all...
    LMAO!
    "I've learned....
    That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it" (Andy Rooney)

I've already recieved my first order of Cold Steel Butterfly Swords that I plan to sell on my site.
    Cold Steel make Butterfly Swords?

If that's Cold Steel, the knife company I'm thinking of, they would be a slick set of blades but SUPER EXPENSIVE ...

Any more details?

Now if Spyderco made swords, I'd HAVE to get a pair.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

anerlich -

Good luck getting them shipped and/or owning them in Australia.

You can do it if you have the appropriate weapons licencing, but from what I have heard, it's a seperate proccess to get them through customs (need a letter of some kind, I forget)

My Sifu has a collectors weapon's licence (he has a LARGE collection of knives) and had a lot of trouble once just bringing back knives in his suitcase, because even though he has a weapon's licence, he needed extra paperwork.

Just a word of warnin' if ya never brought weapons in from overseas before
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'

Cold Steel BJD

Hey Anerlich, They are from the famous Cold Steel Co.
    Have a look at this;
    http://www.coldsteel.com/88bf.html
    If you have ever seen the Cold Steel demo tapes/CDs you know how amazing their edged weapons are. These sword will cut through flesh and bone.
    Neurotic might be right about getting them to Oz. Maybe you should look into it.
    Phil
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 06-09-2003 at 12:43 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

secret scrolls that end all arguments over lineage once and for all
    I had a copy. I lent it out and never got it back.....lol
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thanks Phil. I have a couple of Cold Steel knives and agree they are excellent.

Neurotic, thanks for the tip, I've experienced first hand a couple of times the difficulties of getting certain weapon related items and videos through customs. That said, a pair of ArtMasters swords I ordered for my Sihing's wife for her to give to him as a birthday present sailed straight through no probs.

My Sifu has a couple of sets of really nice razor sharp swords handmade by Australian knifesmiths. By all accounts the size of the blade means they are really demanding on a knifesmith, and the guy charged him well over $1000 AUD per set and basically said he wasn't keen to do it anymore as it was so difficult.

BTW, You need to be REALLY careful with sharp swords. Another acquaintance sliced a finger and suffered permanent tendon and nerve damage just putting the thing back in the scabbard. Don't even THINK of sparring with them.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    secret scrolls that end all arguments over lineage once and for all
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Phil Redmond

I had a copy. I lent it out and never got it back.....lol
    Phil
    Psssssst........ word is Alpha dog traded it for the moderator position. LOL.
    "I've learned....
    That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it" (Andy Rooney)

Notice how AD is conspicuously quiet about the missing scrolls and his part in their disappearance?
    "I've learned....