Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this school?

I saw them do the Xing Yi demo in person before, and I just saw the video. It sucked, and it will always suck. Why? he does it like an 'external art' The power of the strikes were driven by his hips like a regular karate punch. I also saw the Chen 18 video. I think he needs to be more relaxed.

Originally posted by Brad

Ok, the way I was taught was the left arm would come downwards as a trap and the right hand would shoot up much like his did. Also he quickly pulled it back as if it was some sort of quick jab. In our form the right hand would open up, turn over, catch the forearm, left left would come over catch the shoulder and you would pull the opponent in while the right foot comes up to almost waist level(with foot facing outwards) and then the right foot(along with the rest of the weight) would come down on the opponent's knee and you end up in a low long cross stance, right hand pulled back behind you and left hand in from.
    Don't know how well I described it... I'll find pics if I can, lol.
    Pictures would help Brad. If you could do that and send them to me that would be great. BTW, you missed quit a lot of discussion on these forms!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Kumkuat
    I saw them do the Xing Yi demo in person before, and I just saw the video. It sucked, and it will always suck. Why? he does it like an 'external art' The power of the strikes were driven by his hips like a regular karate punch. I also saw the Chen 18 video. I think he needs to be more relaxed.
    Who was "them?"
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Shaolin Do guys. Particularly the atlanta branch people.

Thanks Brad. Is this your school?

Yeah, I did miss a lot! By the time I backtrack through all the posts I missed, there'll be two more to read, lol.

Thanks Brad. Is this your school?
    No, that's just the only online pics I could find It's from http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/index.html
    my favorite internal style website

In Atlanta, the first thing I'd try to do is find a student of David C.K. Lin who is teaching publicly. Master Lin is only teaching privately to advanced shaui chiao folks these days, but I'll put dollars to donuts that one of those guys he teaches privately will be willing to teach you.

http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/ is the main site of his organization, and davidlin94 at us.sina dot com is his email address. He's very forthcoming about his art, don't be afraid to write.

There will be absolutely no question that you are learning an effective martial art with the strongest possible lineage.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

A student of David Lin would be a great find. One of the guys I train Shaolin-Do with studied under Victor Ke. Shuai Chiao is very practical. "When in a fight hit the guy with the biggest rock you can find, and you can't get a bigger rock than the earth."

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I'll second that suggestion.

I forgot all about Master Lin. I went to a seminar of his a couple of years ago. Great stuff.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I'll third it.
    If you can find a good shuai chiao teacher, go with that.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

You see what I mean? We NEVER agree around here like that!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I'd go with the sc too.... but thats just me
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by RedSkaNite
    Well I have decided to look for something else. This school MAY be O.K., but you guys have convinced me that I don't have the knowledge to be sure of judging that accuratly for myself. I will look for something less controversial for my first MA. I am going to sit in on a Wing Chun class tonight, and on a Shinkendo/Aikibujutsu class later this week. Thanx for all of the info!
    Greetings redskanite,

I was wondering what you hope to gain from martial arts. Self-defense? Forms? Just a hobby?

The reason I ask is because a lot of schools are geared towards hobbyist practitioners. That is, they don't do any kind of sparring, etc.

I live in Marietta myself, and I've been around to a lot of the schools in the area. Currently I'm a student at the Atlanta Judo Academy, but I was a student at the SD school in Marietta for 8 years. Also, my father was a student of Francis Fong in wing chun.

I know lots of people in lots of different schools. If you let me know what exactly you're looking for, perhaps I can hook you up.