Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/24 or 3/30

What did your mom tell you about contradicting me Yenhoi? Go to your room.

Originally posted by red5angel
    Actually FP, thats not totally true, let me explain. Generally low impact aerobics is considered the best way to burn fat.
    Not true. Go look up information on EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption).

The other trick is to ingest protein in copious amounts. Cardio workouts will burn muscle before fat.

Thats also why the morning is the best time to do cardio, before you eat breakfast since it forces the body to burn fat.
    Can you site a source for this "info"?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    GOAL: Get ready for the Sport Jujitsu Nationals Oct 4. Lose 25 lbs so I am right at 208. That way I can go either weight division. Feel like I'm fit enough to do 5 - 8 min bouts in a day at top speed.

My thoughts on the Creatine: I have a pretty physical job. If I am going to start getting up and training at 7am, go do my job, and either teach class (M,W,Tr) or train jj (Tu,Tr) I need to not be so physically drained at the end of the day. My understanding of the creatine is that it allows the muscles to work longer with less fatigue. Today, for example, I ran my three miles, did back and bi's, and then dug a 4'x5'x1' deep hole in dense red clay, and then did the usual warm up with class. (150 jj's, 100 abs, 40 pushups) Tu/Tr workouts are supposed to go from an hour and a half to 2 1/2 hours (i know, I'd like them to be that long anyway).

So, am I wrong about the creatine helping my muscle endurance through out a 14 hour day?

My joints are starting to be really shot, so the glucosimine/msm and flax seed oil.

The whey protein is just an extra boost of protein between meals.

I like Bill Pearls simple formula of 1/2 your body weight in grams of protein.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Well, first of all the problem is that your signature is too loooooong!

Second of all, I've never really heard of people using creatine while trying to lose weight. If you do so much labor during the day, you should be glad that it's causing you to burn those extra calories.

Also, if your target weight is 205, and you said you want to lose 25 lbs to get there, I would recommend more than 120 grams of protein per day (the number you had mentioned before). Generally speaking (and everyone has a different opinion), I would say get at least .75 to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. So if you're at 230lbs right now, 120g of protein is barely half of that. I'm talking about maximizing the amount of muscle that you keep, however.

So, I would personally recommend to take back the Creatine and buy more protein instead if you can't get enough protein from meals.

Good luck.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

ok, today's lesson is to not his F5 on the post reply page !

Ironfist, ok, I'm obviously under-informed about creatine. Why would it inhibit fat loss? If it is conducive to lean muscle gain through helping you train longer and lean muscle gain=increased metabolism then I think it would at least be neutral and not a negativ influence.

Work: (sukks,bad) If I could do physical work all the time it would be one thing. But, cuz I'm da [size=1]boss[/size=1] I have to go from the big hole to problem solving for my idiot employee's, back to the hole, to meeting with administrators, back to the hole, to meeting with a sub, back to the hole. So, I'm drained by the end of the day but havn't actually done any sustained labor to actually benefit from. And, after 21 years of kung fu, I definitely make physical work a work out. I've made things like digging and chopping, etc. a matter of sets and reps since I was in high school.

My fat% is pretty high, 30 something I think. So, really!?! up to a 1/1 ratio of protein to weight?? The problem again is work, difficult to take time to do 6-8 meals (in the 200-300 calorie range) a day. So, breakfast is a meal for me as well as dinner/supper. Anything else in between has to be fast and small.

thanks for the input
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Ironfist is dead right about your sig, by the way!

Also, if you're trying to lose weight to fight and not just burn fat, then be careful with the protein. If you lose fat but put on lean muscle, you might gain weight - lean muscle weighs more than fat!

Also, I'm still waiting to hear some proof that muscles are burned before fat and why cardio before breakfast "forces the body to burn fat".

Any takers? I'm open to being educated, cos I ain't no expert.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

One theory about cardio in the morning before anything has to do with the low glycogen level in the morning. Since you don't have much glycogen in the morning, you tend to use your fat stores to use as energy. BUT! there isn't any hard evidence that doing cardio in the morning will actually do that. So do cardio whenever you want.

Also, that gazelle thing is crap. The pendulum motion is actually doing all the work for you, so you don't get any workout.

High Intensity Interval training is not just raising the intensity during your intervals. It's doing the max effort doing your intervals. So you jog or walk for bit, then you sprint as hard as you can for a bit, then you job/walk, then sprint hard, etc.,

I was talking to this chick who said she did intervals. And she said her interval length was 5 minutes. I said that was BS, but she said she's really fit. I don't know, maybe my cardio sucks. But I don't think I can sprint hard for 5 minutes.

red5 -- creatine won't inhibit fat loss, it will inhibit WEIGHT loss. creatine causes the muscles to store more water, thus making you more water heavy.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

rub, ok, that makes sense with the creatine.

hmm, I pay more attention to the way my clothes fit and the way I look than the scales. Although, in this instance the poundage does matter. I only got about a 30 day supply of creatine anyway AND I already opened it so I'll see what it feels like before I buy anymore.

thanks.

i'm not the first or the only with a long sig.

just the best quality

protein uptake limit?

maybe more misinformation but I heard somewhere a while ago that your body couldn't absorb more than about 20 grams of protein at a time. It would shunt the rest away as waste.

true or not?

If true then what is the time limit on this. at 8 meals a day this would mean eating every 2 hours at more than 20 grams/meal to reach 200 grams. So, the math doesn't work out...

No, the amount of protein intake at once shouldn't be a problem.

Actually FP, thats not totally true, let me explain. Generally low impact aerobics is considered the best way to burn fat.
    Sorry, bud, but you are incorrect. Low impact aerobics does not burn as much fat as a properly structured interval program. There have been numerous studies which show this phenomena and it has even become accepted in western sports science which is generally a few years behind the cutting edge. Not only that, but low impact/sustained effort aerobics actually premote greater fat storage, so even though they burn fat, your body adapts in a way that makes it more likely to send any access calories consumed straight to your adipose tissue.

Serpent, 12 years of weight lifting and running

Rub - right, I know what it does, however I find a lot of guys who are just getting started or are just getting serious about weightlifting tend to pick up on the supplements a little too quickly. Thats not to say Oso, your "new" at it.

FP - I can agree with you on the interval stuff, I just read a nice article on it last night and it sounds interesting, something I may experiment with here soon. However I have to disagree with the low impact assessment, that just hasn't been the case in my experience.

Oso, your body will only absorb so much of anything at one time. Typically most of the rest is released as waste, although your body may choose to store it as fat if you aren't eating properly. This all depends on your goal of course. My russian body building girlfreind used to eat every two hours, even getting up at 2 am to have a piece of chicken or something, so she could get enough protien and not get too hungry, because if you get hungry your body attacks your muscles.

Ford, I have looked for examples of HIIT but as usual there are many suggestions. Have you got a good reference for HIIT? What I don't seem to be finding is a total duration. I see everything on the intervals from 1 to 2 mins up and as little as 15 seconds down but nothing on total time. Is 24-30 minutes of interval enough? Could a lesser amount of time be effective?

tia

Thats not to say Oso, your "new" at it.
    now worries, i'm the first to admit confusion on this. Back in HS (81-85) there was no discussion of nutrition. This is the first time i've trained for competition since then. So, here I is, asking...if only you silly fuggers would stop ****ing on each others legs about your opinions ...there are certainly more than one view and a google of the net shows tons of college and pro sports nutrition sites...each supported by sports med pros.

I appreciate all advice and will attempt to figure out something that works for me out of it all.

My observation about the low impact approach is that you have to sustain it for a long period of time. I've been sitting and watching the last 10 minutes of the aerbics class that's before my class and seen the same people do it twice a week for 2 years now...and there is no noticable difference in their body appearance. Their cv system is surely in good shape but with their approach of taking 2 5 minute breaks in an hour, I don't think they are going to drop any weight.