Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinking. That is a wrong word

Sinking. That is a wrong word

As title,

People use the word " sinking" alots and more than alots.

Weight sinking to feet, breathing sinking to Dan Dien..... goes on and on.....

IMHO, I don't belive a bit of all of these.
    Thus, with all these "sinkings" intructions... have you see those give these good "sinking" achieved advance level..... themself?

The Word should be "settle" not Sinking.

It is just like when one place a class of mud water in a quite place and then the dust "sinking then at the end settle " naturally.

Make that change to settle in stead of to sink ,
    and one will breath great and "root" great.
    Trying to "sink" ? one just push a reverse gear.

it is about settle in all condition naturally. it is not about trying to become a Woodern Dummy and SINK into the ground

Believe it or not.

Your turn.
    Last edited by Phenix; 06-30-2003 at 02:22 PM.

Re: Sinking. That is a wrong word

Originally posted by Phenix
    As title,

People use the word " sinking" alots and more that alots.

Weight sinking to feet, breathing sinking to Dan Dien.....

IMHO, I don't belive a bit of all of these.
    Thus, with all these "sinkings" intructions... non comes achieved and advance level.....

The Word should be "settle" not Sinking. Make that change and one will breath great and "root" great. Trying to "sink" ? one just push a reverse gear.

Believe it or not.

Your turn.
    Good point regarding the nuances of the words.

Still, words are just words, and I cannot say that one word is a right word and another word is wrong.

If a wrong word is used, but the right underlying idea is transmitted person to person, then the word has done its job no matter which word was used. A rose by any other name and all of that.

Sometimes we don't even need words to get the right idea across. The richest parts of communication are non-verbal. This is not merely my opinion, but what has been demonstrated through formal studies. So we are very poor in this medium.

Having said that, I still enjoy dickering over words, LOL. While not averse to the word "sink," I too far prefer the word "settle" both for its connotation and its numerous implications. So I personally agree with your distinction.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

I like the word...Sit!
    This way,I can look at a whole class and yell SIT !...It's fun!

Old Jong- did you mis-spell the word-to escape the censor?.

Yuanfen!!!!!!
    The result would be relative to addiing a "T" to sink!...

Maybe I will put together an online translator, for "WC newspeak" -> "English":

Sink -> Settle
    Heavy -> Light
    Energy -> Force
    Force -> Clumsiness
    Root -> Height
    Qi -> Yi
    Yi -> "I have no idea what I'm talking about"

Originally posted by [Censored]
    Maybe I will put together an online translator, for "WC newspeak" -> "English":

Sink -> Settle
    Heavy -> Light
    Energy -> Force
    Force -> Clumsiness
    Root -> Height
    Qi -> Yi
    Yi -> "I have no idea what I'm talking about"

This simple:

Sink ---> let is naturally settle, just wait a little but not prolong it.
    Heavy ---> that is the feeling of the opponents' should not be one's. one has to feel light
    Energy ---> how much do we feel while walking in our body? we need to move our 100ib? 200lb body every steps....
    Force --> local tensing
    Qi --> smooth in breathing and motion
    Yi--> attention and intention.

Re: Re: Sinking. That is a wrong word

KJ,

hahahaha,
    Certainly, I am trying to stir my english up

But seriously, translation is a problem. especially, when the sifu though and we don't experience it or totally understood.

Like in the drive in, one order 3 coke and 2 pop corn. and we always has to make sure it is not 2 coke and 3 pop corn. those type of communication......

Chinese to chinese communication has been a problem since you see different of version of teaching..... Chinese to English even worst. but the only communication can close the gap is the Drive In style of repeating and feed back.....

Re: Re: Re: Sinking. That is a wrong word

KJ,

hahahaha,
    Certainly, I am trying to stir my english up

But seriously, translation is a problem. especially, when the sifu though and we don't experience it or totally understood.

Like in the drive in, one order 3 coke and 2 pop corn. and we always has to make sure it is not 2 coke and 3 pop corn. those type of communication......

Chinese to chinese communication has been a problem since you see different of version of teaching..... Chinese to English even worst. but the only communication can close the gap is the Drive In style of repeating and feed back.....
    May I have fries with that?

You're right. On the Internet, communication is difficult, but even with feedback, can we be sure that we're talking about the same kind of Coke and popcorn?

How do you train to be "light" as opposed to heavy? Is it never correct in your opinion to be substantial in one's horse?

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sinking. That is a wrong word

Originally posted by Grendel

How do you train to be "light" as opposed to heavy?
    Regards,
    When we walk is it light or heavy? or just walk?

sinking vs. settling

It is just like when one place a class of mud water in a quite place and then the dust "sinking then at the end settle " naturally.
    For application purposes often "settling" is not enough.
    it is not about trying to become a Woodern Dummy and SINK into the ground. Believe it or not.
    Sometimes it is. Believe it or not.

Re: sinking vs. settling

For application purposes often "settling" is not enough.

without even achieve settling. the rest is day dreaming.---HS

Sometimes it is. Believe it or not.

Certainly, that will become hard bow and no longer agile WCK. In additional, after 40 years old check up to see if the heart still function properly if training this way. doesn't matter about believe, no health no advance martial art. try it and see.. --Hs

Re: Sinking. That is a wrong word

Hendrik wrote:

The Word should be "settle" not Sinking.

---I see what you are saying. But IMHO "sink" is a more generic term that would emcompass what you mean by the word "settle." "Settle" seems to imply a more passive activity, whereas "sink" can be either passive or active. Actively dropping the weight by bending the knees in order to apply a downward force is "sinking", but I don't think "settle" quite describes the activity properly.

Keith

Re: Re: sinking vs. settling

Certainly, that will become hard bow and no longer agile WCK.
    WCK no need be agile all time.

In additional, after 40 years old check up to see if the heart still function properly if training this way. doesn't matter about believe, no health no advance martial art. try it and see.. --Hs
    Training what way....? Sorry not sure what you're saying here.

15. Re: Re: Re: Sinking. That is a wrong word

Chinese to chinese communication has been a problem since you see different of version of teaching..... Chinese to English even worst.
    And English to English the worstest!!