Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for a new student

Originally posted by BeWater
    I absolutely agree. However, isn't there a certain amount of faith (I don't mean that in a religious way) in one's sifu and in the system itself that is required? I mean, how can I really know whether something I've been told is valid or not?
    Early on, it is difficult to know the wheat from chaff. The fact that a teacher can dominate students isn't in and of itself sufficient evidence of the quality of what is being taught, though often enough it's the benchmark applied. However, and especially very early in our work, it may be the only tangible evidence we have to go on. Over time, increasing exposure to others outside one's own school can help to provide a reality check, and keep us honest with ourselves.

Furthermore, does it even matter -- isn't it just as important that one has confidence in what they've learned?
    Yes and no. False or misplaced confidence can be a liability and a hazard. It's also not much fun trying to undo improper habits built over years either, and well worth the trouble and patience to get off on the most solid start possible.

There is a lot of good "advice" in the preceding posts. I would also suggest "be sure you have found the right teacher for you." Again, time and exposure will tell. Unless one lucks into it, finding a great teacher is easier said than done. And back to your point, till we know enough to make some reasonable assessments for ourselves, we need rely on a certain amount of faith and trust. Hopefully not blind faith though. The best learning requires us to honestly question and perpetually evaluate.

Some thoughts, anyway. Best wishes in your training, and enjoy the journey.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

P.S. I am indeed hopeless, and more than likely depraved. Caveat emptor.

BeWater- judgement calls are inescable- including trusting your teacher after you have made the initial decisions to join.

Censored- yes- Socrates was known to be interested in nuts at times!

kathy said
    [increasing exposure to others outside one's own school can help to provide a reality check, and keep us honest with ourselves.]

well put , when in doubt test it . and all should be made clear , if it doesn't work take the problem back to your teacher if he can't give you a good answer or solution, find another teacher ,

teacher s all have different strengths and weaknesses most gravitate to what they feel works for them , i'm on my third wing chun teacher , and work out with a few other sifu's from time to time , i look at the universal truths across the board , and focus on those concepts .
    the truth comes out when you test and question , your body and experience will tell you right from wrong . it's when you fail to question and tst everything that you can get lead astray.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

4. Re: Advice for a new student

Originally posted by BeWater
    Hi!

I recently started studying Wing Chun -- I'm about six weeks into it. Two questions (sort of):

1. If you could go back, is there anything you'd do differently as a beginning WC student? Perhaps do more Siu Lim Tao, pay more attention to posture, etc. Any nuggets of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

2. Can you recommend any supplemental activities that have greatly enhanced your WC ability? And I don't (necessarily) mean things like BJJ which may enhance your overall combat effectiveness -- I'm wondering specificially about things that augment your WC. Perhaps Chi Kung exercises?

Thanks!
    Watch Bruce Lee movies and chain punch incessantly till you black out! Then get up and do more, everyday. Work at looking tough in the mirror while doing this exercise as your video tapes rewind.

my secret is out
    Watch Bruce Lee movies and chain punch incessantly till you black out! Then get up and do more, everyday. Work at looking tough in the mirror while doing this exercise as your video tapes rewind.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

6. Sorry dude, but sooner or later the truth about how to master Wing Chun had to be told. I'm just glad I was the one to do it.

Sincerely,

IconocastAlphaDog

Practice(improve) your stance for 10 years.
    S.Teebas

take inspiration from little triumphs.my first bong sau to
    work [against a palm strike jab ] was bliss and ultra.

Russ.

Breathing is important, in my silly opinion. No breath = no strength.
    I agree breathing is important. I practice breathing drills myself from yoga and RMA.

But in *my* silly opinion:

* The benefits claimed for qigong go far beyond realistic efficiency and endurance during movement or exertion into the realms of the ridiculous.

* Nobody I've come across who teaches "Wing Chun Qigong", or pontificates about it on this forum, gives any real indication they know WTF they are going on about.

Thus IMO it is better left alone, lest students fall prey to the belief that alleged development of arcane abilities of unprovable veracity will somehow take the place of more mundane but more practical hard training in the basics, let alone provide a quicker path to real ability in fighting.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

The benefits claimed for qigong go far beyond realistic efficiency and endurance during movement or exertion into the realms of the ridiculous.

High-level qigong is as realistic as high-level martial art skill. IOW everyone makes claims and few can back them up. This has everything to do with human nature, and nothing to do with any particular field of study.

Nobody I've come across who teaches "Wing Chun Qigong", or pontificates about it on this forum, gives any real indication they know WTF they are going on about.

I never suggested that anyone should join a qigong distance learning course on KFO. To contrast: do you think the average Wing Chun pracititioner on this Wing Chun forum knows WTF they are talking about?

Thus IMO it is better left alone, lest students fall prey to the belief that alleged development of arcane abilities of unprovable veracity will somehow take the place of more mundane but more practical hard training in the basics, let alone provide a quicker path to real ability in fighting.

Most people will achieve nothing in Wing Chun, regardless of any belief or allegation to the contrary. Perhaps they should avoid it altogether then?

High-level qigong is as realistic as high-level martial art skill.
    The second is demonstrable, unlike the first.

IOW everyone makes claims and few can back them up.
    I don't make claims I can't back up.

I never suggested that anyone should join a qigong distance learning course on KFO.
    Nor did I. I'd suggest that no one should bother with qigong (as opposed to correct breathing, they are not the same), be it via distance learning or anywhere else. IMO WC and qigong are unrelated, and thus a background a WC is unrelated to having a clue about qigong.

do you think the average Wing Chun pracititioner on this Wing Chun forum knows WTF they are talking about?
    I've been willing to make that assumption about you so far. Am I wrong?

Most people will achieve nothing in Wing Chun, regardless of any belief or allegation to the contrary. Perhaps they should avoid it altogether then?
    You seem to be struggling on against the overwhelming odds, apparently. I'm not in a position to forecast whether you will achieve anything. Good luck, you seem to feel every one of us here will need it.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

RELAX

everything else is easy to change later on, if u start tense, u end up 3 years later like so many people i roll with, they are tensed up, fighting me, they think they are doing wing chun but they still arent. its sad and funny at the same time.

RELAX now when u only just begun and the way will be easier and more fruitful. once u relaxed u can always tense if need be. Tense people find it kind of hard to relax.

RELAX
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century