Thread: How much time to get to Chi Sau

How much time to get to Chi Sau

Hi! I'm wondering how much time it took for each of you to get to the point where you began to Chi Sau. And I don't mean Don Chi Sao, Tsui Ma, Luk Sao, etc. I mean how long before you began to do real Chi Sao.

Of course, I realize there are tons of factors that affect this: how hard you train, natural ability, number and helpfulness of older and younger students, your sifu, etc. So, I'm not trying to determine how long it will take *me* to get to Chi Sau based on your responses -- I'm just curious about your experiences and the differences in lineages.

As a secondary question, which unarmed form were you on at the time? I'm assuming most people are on Chum Kiu when they get to Chi Sau, but that's just a guess.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water . . . Be water, my friend.
    -Bruce Lee

We make a distinction in my lineage between 'poon-sao' rolling arms and chi-sao which uses this as a base for attacks and defence.
    Actual chi-sao I would say about a year and yes I was studying chum-kiu at the time.

Thanks for the reponse.

I think Luk Sao may be the same thing as (or similar to) Poon Sao, because my Sifu refers to Luk Sao as "rolling hands" and says it is a precusor to Chi Sao.
    -Bruce Lee

BeWater-you ask:
    Hi! I'm wondering how much time it took for each of you to get to the point where you began to Chi Sau. And I don't mean Don Chi Sao, Tsui Ma, Luk Sao, etc. I mean how long before you began to do real Chi Sao.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wouldnt look down upon dan chi sao- its part of chi sao and a very important part. One can start with dan chi sao even before learning chum kiu. A teacher should corret the details in dan chi sao. Good dan chi sao is a prelude to other chi sao and you learn some unique things in dan chi sao.

Joy,

Don't worry, I'm not looking down on Don Chi Sao or any of the other precursors to Chi Sao. In fact, I have great respect for all those exercises. I'm just curious about Chi Sao specifically since it seems to be a significant milestone in one's Wing Chun training.
    -Bruce Lee

I have great respect for all those exercises. I'm just curious about Chi Sao specifically since it seems to be a significant milestone in one's Wing Chun training.
    BeWater,

I can understand your perspective. I rememeber first seeing chi-sau and thinking how mysterious it looked! But my advice is to enjoy the journey and not worry about the future too much. Think about what's on your plate before desert arrives.
    S.Teebas

S.Teebas,

I appreciate your advice and, believe or not, I am following it. I work very hard at my forms and exercises because I see my older brothers doing Chi Sao and I know that the only way for me to get to that point is to work hard. There's really no way for me to rush through things. If I'm not ready for the next step my Sifu will not give it to me. Everything must be earned and I am *very much* enjoying the journey.
    -Bruce Lee

at our school it takes as long as it takes to get to chi sau.

it may take some people a year or longer, others a month. it depends on how much time you put in, and how hard you work.

if you train an hour a day for a month, and someone else trains a half hour a week for a year, you've put in more time and will be ****her ahead than them. heck at our school you may be doing chum kiu at the end of the month while the other person is still working through siu lim tau!
    Travis

structure in motion

In Traditional Wing Chun one arm (dan chi sao) drills, pak sao drills, and bong-lop drills should be followed by basic two arm chi sao fairly soon...

If you're not doing at least some basic two arm chi sao (luk sao - rolling hands)...within six to eight months of joining the school...
    something is wrong.

There is just to much ground to cover in the overall curriculum to wait much longer than that.

re chi sau

hi guys, i aggree with sifu victor, you should be taught, dan chi and double hand as soon, as possiable particulaly, getting forward energy right. and doing poon sau movement is very important, good luck in your training russell sherry
    russellsherry

when i began we never did any drills, so you could say that we began chi sao from day one. the first action i took was to touch hands with my teacher.

having said that, i did dan chi sau only for the first 3 months or so, very boring but great foundations, for the next 6 months it was only rolling both hands, last 3 months of first year was chi sao i think..

when is the best time? from day one IMO, but in the same way as i found it, i'd recommend doing boring dan for the first 3 months.

now chi sau is everything... but then i have no gong lik too PTL
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

I was the same as foolinthedeck.

I did chi sao from day one. And san sao. So I don't consider it a milestone at all.

Luk sao was a milestone.

TjD -- I know what you're saying, but I'm mostly curious about everyone's personal exprience, not a theoretical time frame.

foolinthedeck and Edmund -- that's very interesting. Do you mind telling me what your lineages are?
    Last edited by BeWater; 07-23-2003 at 05:45 AM.
    -Bruce Lee

Originally posted by BeWater
    foolinthedeck and Edmund -- that's very interesting. Do you mind telling me what your lineages are?
    BeWater,

Don't think it's a lineage specific thing. My teacher has studied 3 different lineages: Pan Nam, Yip Man and Sum Nung.

Dan chi sao within the first few lessons and luk sao I was doing within 6 months BTW.

bewater:
    my lineage is Darryl Tam / Michael Tse (UK) -> Yip Chun.
    same as Dezhen2001 - and he still trains with them so any further queries to him.
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century