Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: chan and wck

I like pickles, I hate carrots.

Thank you for the discussion. I have learned much more about you.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

weng kiu

The answers you seek Hendrik are in the wck itself but if you look for those answers inside books, online forums or white crane you will only be left with more questions.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

These debates on egolessness slay me.

Regards,
    - kj

The search for signs of intelligent life in the universe

<<Chan teaching is a teaching. A method of persuing buddha nature.
    Thus, it can be describe precise and concise what is Chan teaching.>>HS

--What is Ch'an teaching? Where is Ch'an? Keep walking, though there's no place to get to. Don't try to see through the distance.--RH

<<If the fist continous insist on its Time, Space, and energy. then it always is a fish.>>HS

--A fist has five fingers, and a fish has one tail. Hendrik, when will you drop a habit that has kept you from reaching your potential?--RH

Well, the fireworks have been most illuminating and fun! I thank this forum to give me a chance to reach out and crush some self. Ha! Ha!

No you're not!

Am too!

Yes he is!

You're not either!

Yo mama!

Nanynany...

Serenity and Peace.

You know KJ, RH, and PaulH, I really do try and make friends with everyone and after things have been said and done you do make me smile! Laugh alittle bit too, I might add.

Roger, go and visit www.hfy108.com there are many friends awaiting your presence! You truly are welcome there, I hope to see you there. Everyone else too of course! There are private as well as public forums there.

Peace everyone...

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Huen Lop?

Question Hendrik

Hendrik, aren't there different types of Buddhist teachings????

Sheldon
    Last edited by Geezer; 07-25-2003 at 12:34 PM.

Re: Serenity and Peace.

Originally posted by Savi
    You know KJ, RH, and PaulH, I really do try and make friends with everyone and after things have been said and done you do make me smile! Laugh alittle bit too, I might add.
    Laughter is good medicine.

Regards,
    - kj

Thumbs up You're alright man...

Originally posted by PaulH
    Hi Savi,

I'm only human. Like a "karmic" sailboat driven by strong gusts of passion but steered firmly by reason, I boldly chart the universe. The world is a stage and I just act my role.

Regards,
    You're an OK dude Paul. Keep on sailing...

Thumbs up Variants of Mahayana Buddhism:

Tibetan Buddhism:
    A mixture of Buddhism, Tantrism and the ancient Bon religion of Tibet. They have a vast collection of scriptures (tantras), which describe powerful rituals. Their teachers (Lamas) are said to be reincarnations of holy teachers who lived in earlier times.

The spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists is the Dalai Lama who is believed to be the reincarnation of Avalokiteshvara.
    Zen Buddhism:
    Developed from CH’an a school of Chinese Buddhism formed in the Seventh century from a blend of Taoism (Chinese philosophy outlined in the TaoTeChing). It aims is to achieve harmony with all that is by pursuing inaction and effortless) and Mahayana teachings. The school stressed experience rather than learning. One of the heroes of Zen is the fierce – looking Indian monk Boddhidharma who brought Buddhism to China.

Absolute faith is placed in a person’s own inner being. Zen came to Japan in the 13th century five centuries after the orthodox forms of Buddhism. It appealed because of its emphasis on the uselessness of words and the insistence of action without thought.

Zen teaches the possibility of enlightenment in the here and now, unlike the tendency that have developed in other strands of Buddhism as far off goals. It teaches that enlightenment is a spontaneous event, totally independent of concepts, techniques or rituals. Zen Monks are based on doing things, learning through experience.
    Pure Land Buddhism:
    Buddhist sect founded by a Chinese monk called Hui Yuan (AD 334 –416). It focuses on one particular scripture which tells of a living Buddha who inhabits another world system, a far off place known as the Pure Land. The Buddha is Amitabha and his followers believe that through faith they will be transported there after death.
    Nichiren Buddhism:
    A Japanese Buddhist reformer whose teachings are based on the Mahayana Sutra (scripture) known as the Lotus Sutra which contained the ultimate truth and that it could be compressed into a sacred formula NAMO MYOHO RENGE KYO (homage to the Lotus of the wonderful law).

The central practice of Nichiren Buddhism is reciting the mantra of the namo myoho rengye kyo. Nichiren denounced all other forms of Buddhism and when the Mongols threatened Japan preached a fiery nationalism, urging the nation to convert to true Buddhism.

http://www.racialjustice.org.uk/Type...20Buddhism.htm

Sheldon

Savi,

Best wishes to you as well. It has been good knowing you.

Originally posted by Phenix
    Ok ready to go back to the retreat....

Savi, get that book from Dilgo Rimpoche. It will help you and your friends...
    OK, Hendrik,

Go back into the retreat, but stay out of Bhutan.

Machine language analogies? That's a reach for a metaphor. But I guess we are on a machine dependent medium.

Do infants know a self? If so, do they know "other?"

I am dreaming about dreaming, but then some of us have to work, I guess. Not me, of course, but some.
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis