Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to use rattan training rings

Rene's rings!...

O.K. that's enough rings from me!

Rattan rings... not a good tool. Makes you develop more bad habits than you would need.... and does not help structure development at all. Not recommended.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

ntc- true...
    but the advocacy persists and in the cycle of topics on this forum-it was about time for rattan rings--- soon there will be the iron rings on forearms!! And yes- there is a photo of Ip Man laughing and posing with iron rings.

Same old same old topics get recycled.
    No problem but amusing at times.

BTW- a passing question to no one in particular- I wonder whether folks (female and mail)who are into body piercing and wearing rings in different places including lips realize how dangerous they can be (to themselves) in a confrontation. Yesterday I saw a guy ina very serious "argument"
    and he was wearing two sets of rings on two sides of his lower lip.
    Egads.

Thumbs down Rattan Rings

In order to maintain contact with the Rattan rings I have seen practiced you would have to push outwards. Otherwise the rings would simply rest on your forearms. Pushing outwards during Chi Sao is against WC principles regardless of lineage. So practising with the rattan rings would definately hinder you chi sao since WC uses forward energy.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

But ,it looks so cool!...

Oups!... It's Randy W. !...I'm going to get flamed to the bones by Tapman now!...Oh crop!...

Now..... rattan TATTOO rings in the nose and through the ears may help, especially if they require a huge hole to be dug into the ears. Your opponent might figure that you would be a real tough cookie to handle while envisioning the pain it took to get those rings in... he'd leave you alone !!! (just kidding....)
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

Exclamation Shouldn't discount them

From the Mai Gei Wong website:

Tang Huen Sao

Rattan circle is as training tool used by many kung fu styles. Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun uses circle with diameter of approximately 25 cm (+/- according to each user) for strengthening certain defensive and attacking movements. Form consists of 15 "techniques", which are practiced separately and with great many repetitions. Reward for students is raising strength and explosive energy. Training with circle also helps to better realize the position of hands before body and to strengthen "Kiu Sao" - overthrowing position of hands of opponent. Techniques can be repeated as much as is possible and needed.
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Black and Blue, Try rotating with the rings for a while, then use that same energy during chi sao. You will be forcing your arms outwards. Just because some school uses it doesn't make it right. I know because I've chi sao'ed with someone who trained with the rings. It was to easy for me as he would push out and I'd take the center.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Wink

Hello,

I hear what you're saying. But it's my understanding that lineages like the one I mention don't use the rings to for Chi Sau development in itself.

I believe they use them for developing splitting power, to burst open a slight gap when attacking down the line. Well, that's what I heard... could be wrong. (so often am )
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)