Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Fights/Your Techniques

right, until some reality fighter does it on video it can't work.

Which is the better attitude to have?

1. Assume something doesn't work until you have it proven to you.

2. Assume something works because Sifu told you so?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Just because it works for your sifu doesn't mean it will work for you. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. I take option C, forget about what people say works and doesn't work and do what works for you. The trick is figuring out what that is, but you sifu is the best place to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

3.) Assume something works because gray aliens telepathicaly downloaded it into your mind while you were watching Jenna Jameson perform the Lindy Hop with Kobi Tai.
    Regards

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Anyone applied any Hung Gar or Southern Fist techniques?
    yea, waaay back in the summer of 82, about 3 months after I started training in hung gar I used a front kick to the solar plexus of a guy that was swinging on me.

oh, wait, that's not just a hung gar technique.

but, I didn't get into a single fight the rest of my high school years
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Water Dragon, there is a lot to "proving" that a technique works. For instance most techniques are really reliant on the person using them. I know for example that high kicks would just get me killed, I can't kick fast enough. So I don't use them and might have a hard time proving to someone they can be useful. I don't punch particularly fast either but I can hit pretty dang hard, dos that mean if everytime I connect I ring someones bell, that that technique is going to work all the time?

I think the best attitude to have is to not worry about it so much, know yourself and your capabilities and train hard.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Just because it works for your sifu doesn't mean it will work for you. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. I take option C, forget about what people say works and doesn't work and do what works for you. The trick is figuring out what that is, but you sifu is the best place to start.
    That's a very good point. Regardless of whether it works for me, it still doesn't solve the issue of whether or not it can work because it may not work for someone else. I for example, like sweeps also. I know they can work. BUT, I'm 5'9 and stocky... that's not the profile for the typical guy who can pull off a sweep. several other guys my height and build have problems with sweeps. Since I have a lower center, pickups, hip throws, etc are easier for me than they would be for a tall person. It's all relative.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Golden Arms
    The first guy I ever used irimi nage on i later found out was a pretty **** good amature boxer. So I can safely say that the aikido throws work just fine against people with disciplined attacks as well.they are just a LOT more fun on people that throw their balance as they move Hung Gar works awesome in fights, but the only part of it you will be able to use well for a couple years is how hard it makes you hit. My sihing works as head of security for a large hotel here, and he has used it lots of times against people..he said he prefers tai chi though because it tends to not mess the person up so bad, they just cant figure out what the hell is happening.
    Im sorry, could you explain, Im not getting it when you said it only works for a couple of years is how hard it makes u hit? Are you saying that after a while, as you age, you cant hit as hard or are u saying only after a couple of years of training, how hard u hit improves?
    Milia Macerusk

Thumbs up

Originally posted by red5angel
    there is a lot to "proving" that a technique works.
    I like the way this is going; but I'd say take it a step further:

It's not techniques that are proven in the first place. If you gain superiority on someone (eg. of position, posture, and balance), you can pull off just about anything on them. In other words, it's not how you knock them down, but how you set them up, which is really the contention.

This can have alot of implications for training as well. Do you spend most of your time training techniques, or training methodologies that make techniques work? How does this relate to your agreement or disagreement with the above?

I think you can see this line of reasoning at play in judo's pedagogy of kuzushi, BJJ's positions, taiji's push hands, etc.

Originally posted by StickyHands
    Im sorry, could you explain, Im not getting it when you said it only works for a couple of years is how hard it makes u hit? Are you saying that after a while, as you age, you cant hit as hard or are u saying only after a couple of years of training, how hard u hit improves?
    It appeared to be that for the first several years, you gain skills in hitting really hard. After several years, all the other material starts to click in and become workable techniques, and you no longer have to rely mainly on only hitting hard. Presumably the other techniques are coded in in a way that they aren't focussed on or easily practiced until the foundation (which creates hard hitting power at even lower levels) is completely wired in.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Or it could be like a lot of our throws.. really sweet, but exceedingly hard to sink on someone in the same art..
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Originally posted by Golden Arms
    The first guy I ever used irimi nage on i later found out was a pretty **** good amature boxer. So I can safely say that the aikido throws work just fine against people with disciplined attacks as well.they are just a LOT more fun on people that throw their balance as they move
    That's what I figured. So contrary to what many people say in this forum, Aikido does work against resisting opponents right? It does deal with full force of attack or even a person calmly standing there? Because I found it really weird, Ive seen people in Aikido throw a flawless spin air throw from just by the uke sort of trying to give his hand like a handshake to trying to karate punch the nage, although I havent seen a demonstration where the uke was fully resisting.
    Milia Macerusk