Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Spear?

Question Southern Spear?

Don't chew me out on this one, I really just want to know:

Why is Southern Kung Fu's spearplay so different? It doesn't seem to have the same essence as Northern spear. Choy Lay Fut's Spinning Spear comes to mind here. I mean, the weapons can be used differently according to the style, but the principles remain the same, right?

"Spearplay like an undulating dragon", That's what my Sifu always tells me. Southern spear seemed to lack this quality IMO.
    The only thing I can think of is that, due to it being primarily a Northern weapon, Southern spear forms are mainly to familiarize the practitioner with the method of attack.

It's almost like it's a completely different weapon depending on if you're a Southern or Northern practitioner. I was hoping someone could give me some history on Southern spear so that I could better understand the difference. Is there a different spearplay theory in Southern Kung Fu? Please educate me!
    Amitabha

BTW,

Spinning Spear is still cool. As is Southern Kung Fu.
    Amitabha

Well, if you begin with the premise that in kung fu, weapons are an extension of the body, then just as southern kung fu hand forms appear different to northern hand forms, southern weapon forms are going to be as different in appearance to northern weapon forms.
    I trust that makes sense.

You should also be aware that southern spear is more similar to southern staff (single head staff). Typically southern spear is done with the right hand leading like staff, whereas in northern spear the left hand leads. The Spinning Spear form that you are referring to is known as Jau Chueng or left side spear and is a bit more northern in flavor than some of the other spear forms in our lineage but still southern in style.

Another form that some know in the Lee Koon Hung lineage is Wun Hop Cheung and this is a true northern spear form that was passed on to sifu from Shek Kin. When I learned this form i began tp understand the difference between northern and southern spear.

It is the same with staff southern staff is different from northern staff.

As the saying goes Lam Kwun Buk Cheung - Southern Staff Northern Spear.

Peace.

Thumbs up Thanks for the Response!!!!!

Also, do any Southern styles use the different types of spear heads, like the "bodyguard" head sold at MartialArtsMart?
    Amitabha

I have only ever seen the standard 'elongated diamond shaped' spear head (with red tassel) used. That is not to say however that some schools or styles don't use something different?

By the way, I don't think that the Chinese spear (as described above) is a "northern" weapon. I think it is just as common in the south as it is in the north.

I agree that Southern styles use it just as much. What I was getting at is that it was more widely used in the north because of the amount of space they had, where as weapons like Butterfly Knives, to me, are primarily Southern because they are more commonly used in Southern styles where close range combat is prevalent.

I guess you're right though, you can't really call spear primarily anything due to the fact that it's used in nearly all styles of Kung Fu. Sorry if I offended anyone!!

And thank you for such an open response! I feel like I learned a lot!!!!!!!
    Amitabha

Hi guys,

Chan Family Choy Lee Fut also has a Snake's Head Spear form. It is the Spear tip that looks like a snake (or a windy road).

Sincerely,
    Dutch

i saw an interesting jow ga spear form, by the daughter of the master that has his school in virginia beach. she was good and the form was nice.

One of the reasons spears or lances are probably seen more in Northern kung fu than in the Southern systems is that the spear was originally a cavalry weapon, a good weapon to use on horseback because of it’s long reach much longer than a sword also for the same reason for foot soldiers to use against someone sitting high on horse back.
    The length of spears used in the North differ 6, 9, to 12 feet.
    The long spears were used to protect archers from attacking horseman much the way a pike was used to protect musketeers in European armies, I think Xingi still use this kind of spear in their practice.
    Also In the Song dynasty because of trouble China was having with the constant invasions by the Mongols and the other nomadic horsemen it was compulsory in some of the northern provinces for every man to practice the spear.
    "Ira furor brevis est !"
    ====================;;;;<>
    I didn't want fries with that or even soda doesn't any one in this dam country ever listen.

Spearplay

Hi all.
    Maybe part of the difference is the differance in terrain, in Hung-gar"s plum flower spear many of the techniques could be used in a tight alley or on a boat.
    tomcat

Guys!
    The whole of Southern China is not 'urban alley ways and harbours'! They do have some open spaces you know… and Northern China does have the odd building, settlement and city too, it is not all open plains either…

Whatever the militaristic origins of the spear in China it has been around in Northern and Southern kung fu styles long enough to be well established as a traditional weapon in kung fu. I think the differences in usages stem mainly from the different philosophies and principles that exist between Northern and Southern kung fu styles generally.

As CLF Nole mentioned the Southern Spear does have similarities to the Southern Staff.(IMHO alot of similarities) In movement and power. But when playing the spear you must play it with that Dragon flowing spirit. Southern styles tend to play there weapons more rooted as opposed to Northern Styles. That is why you do not see many slap downs or arial moves as in the Southern Spear as opposed to the Northern Spaer.
    Also you can not be bais for how practitioners play it. Because I have seen many Southern Spear players perform their spears as Northerners and vice versa.
    That is why in the North the Spear is King of long weapons vs. the mighty Staff which is the long weapon of choice for the South.
    mono68

Thumbs up My New Best Friend!

I've got a whole new respect for Southern Kung Fu!!!

Today I learned a Tiger Fork form!!!! The stance and strength training is AWESOME!! I got a 13 pound Tiger Fork from martialartsmart... It's my new best friend!!!!!!!
    Amitabha

You learned the tiger fork form in one day?