Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Do vs. Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe

Blog Entries

Shaolin Do vs. Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe

After our lengthy thread on Shaolin Do....I'm curious....what do you Shaolin Do guys think about Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe?

For those of you not familiar with the "style" here's the link:

http://www.oomyungdoe.com/

I don't want to hear this crap "well, I haven't been to a school so I can't comment."

Just based on the website, reading the history, looking at the curriculum....what do you guys think?

Does this seem like a reputable school to you?

Is this somewhere that you might check out and seriously think about training if you weren't busy with your Shaolin Do?

I'm curious because these schools.....much like Shaolin Do, are not considered reputable by almost all of the MA community.

There are many similarities:

1) A dubious and implausible history.

2) Only hold closed tournaments.

3) Claim to teach an huge variety of styles that are not closely related.

4)A belt grading system.

5) A centralized "head" figure from which all knowledge supposedly comes about all the styles.

Talking

Re: Shaolin Do vs. Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    After our lengthy thread on Shaolin Do....I'm curious....what do you Shaolin Do guys think about Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe?

For those of you not familiar with the "style" here's the link:

http://www.oomyungdoe.com/

I don't want to hear this crap "well, I haven't been to a school so I can't comment."

Just based on the website, reading the history, looking at the curriculum....what do you guys think?

Does this seem like a reputable school to you?

Is this somewhere that you might check out and seriously think about training if you weren't busy with your Shaolin Do?

I'm curious because these schools.....much like Shaolin Do, are not considered reputable by almost all of the MA community.

There are many similarities:

1) A dubious and implausible history.

2) Only hold closed tournaments.

3) Claim to teach an huge variety of styles that are not closely related.

4)A belt grading system.

5) A centralized "head" figure from which all knowledge supposedly comes about all the styles.
    "I don't want to hear this crap 'well, I haven't been to a school so I can't comment.'"

Then why did you ask ?

BTW, we don't only hold "closed" tournaments. Master Mullins has an open tournamnet in November. I'd love for you to stop trolling and come down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Re: Re: Shaolin Do vs. Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe

Originally posted by Judge Pen

BTW, we don't only hold "closed" tournaments. Master Mullins has an open tournamnet in November. I'd love for you to stop trolling and come down.
    More info please!
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Right now the tentative date is November 1st in Johnson City Tennessee. I don't know what the rules will be this year, but last year had forms, weapons, internal form (either empty hand or weapon) point sparring (uugh) and non-stop sparring. Non-stop is two 45 second rounds with head gear, gloves, shin pads, mouthpiece, and groin protection. The contact is not full, but they do allow contact to the head as long as its not excessive. Take downs are allowed if followed up with a strike, but there's no grappelling per se. The will break you after three seconds.

I'll let you know more when I know it.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

That is the "Day of the Tiger, Night of the Dragon V Invitational Tournament"?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yes, MK it is.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    . Non-stop is two 45 second rounds with head gear, gloves, shin pads, mouthpiece, and groin protection. The contact is not full, but they do allow contact to the head as long as its not excessive. Take downs are allowed if followed up with a strike, but there's no grappelling per se. The will break you after three seconds.
    Not ragging on you Judge's Pen, but that's a pretty weak set-up for sparring. 45 second rounds? That's not even half of what most people train for. No throws, I take it either?

"Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger

Not ragging on you Judge's Pen, but that's a pretty weak set-up for sparring. 45 second rounds? That's not even half of what most people train for. No throws, I take it either?

I agree its not ideal. Throws are allowed.

Well, most tournies don't allow throwing, so kudos for that.

How many different schools usually attend?

How does one get invited?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Well, most tournies don't allow throwing, so kudos for that.

How many different schools usually attend?

How does one get invited?
    There's only one other CMA school around here and that's Wah Lum. A lot of SD schools come down to attend and several karate and TKD schools come down. There is even a Capoeria school that fights. We basically invite every school in the area, and I'll check about other invitations. I really don't think the invitations are exclusive and he'll let anyone sign up.

I think that SD (the forum member) is coming up. You could catch a ride with him. I'd love to see you perform your Monk's Spade.

Does Wah Lum compete there?

Well concerning the original topic of the thread, here's my favorite quote from the site.

"The use of extraordinary Nae Gong energy to miraculously change the size of different parts of his body at will. Only a few people around the world are known to be capable of this feat."

Vi Agr A Ch'uan....very dangerous....

Fu Pow you need to learn this so the rest of your body can catch up to your fantastic ego. Have you considered starting a support group for the recovering SD stylist? Then they could learn some real material from you and be happy all the rest of their days.

You really put the FU in Fu Pow
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never break under the pressure!

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Does Wah Lum compete there?
    They did the year before last. I don't know why they did not last year. I'm hoping that they will again this year.

Originally posted by Evad

You really put the FU in Fu Pow
    Lol.