Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Use your body as a shield"

I like to use a variation of that move when I am facing an opponent who is focussing on staying back and using his kicks to keep me from closing distance. In other words against a kicker.

Hey Fa Jing!

Originally posted by fa_jing
    I like to use a variation of that move when I am facing an opponent who is focussing on staying back and using his kicks to keep me from closing distance. In other words against a kicker.
    Fa Jing, good to hear from you! Is this motion also in the WC you practice? What is the variation you speak of?
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Do you remember the thread on TWC anti grappling and the clip that went with it? Thats where I saw the hop knee entry thing. Go to that thread click on the link and there will be a bunch of clips to chose from.

I can't watch these videos at work, so I don't know if these are similar to the one I saw. But based on the various descriptions on this thread, I think we are talking about different things.

The technique I saw in the video was definitely a "jump" or "hop", not a "lunge". I do not intend to pick specifically on TWC on anyone else, but I want to know if that specific performance is considered technically acceptable or advisable. That's why I ask for some TWC folks to post a clip of that specific performance. Anyone is free to comment, but if I ask about an apple please do not answer about an orange.

Censored

The entry shouldn't have an upward hop. Taking into account human imperfection there should be little if any hop/jump. Ideally it should be a lunge.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

MORE ON THE TWC HOP ENTRY

The very nature of a hopping motion implies an upward movement of some sort since both feet are elevating off the ground. IT IS REALLY A MATTER OF DEGREE. It is more of a forward lunge then it is an "upward" hop - but still there has to be some upward movement or else it isn't a hop.

tHE "LOST FOOTAGE" video of William Cheung doing the three forms, the Wooden Dummy, and other material that was originally filmed in Hong Kong circa 1979 is in my opinion the finest example of the TWC forms and dummy available. He was about 38 years old at the time.

Victor,
    When Keith and I first saw the "Lost Footage" tape that Sifu made from an old 8mm movie we said, "Sifu, you're not going to show this to anyone else are you? ..grin. We were glad to see the kicks on the dummy that were left out.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr