Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suplementing Tai ji

Question Suplementing Tai ji

I consider myself to be yet very young -both in age as in tai ji- but I would like to do other martial arts while studying Tai ji.My sifu thinks I should study Aikido,but I`m really interested in Shaolin Kung-fu.I heard both are really phisically demanding,but I also heard that Shaolin gives me more agility.I could use a second opinion.

Go with your Sifu's advise.

He knows and can see things that you can't yet atleast.
    Witty signature under construction.

I`m not disagreeing wiht you,nor my sifu,but it just not seem right to me.I mean,I`ve seen Aikido,and it`s very nice,but it has a lot of grabbing,and the impression I have from Tai ji is the opposite,because usually,Tai ji students are slimmer and -PHISICALLY ONLY-weak.For me,that`s why they avoid grabbing and that kind of stuff.That`s why I`m confused.Again,I`m not disagreeing with you,I just don`t understand why these styles combine.

Lin-wu

Speak to your Sifu again and voice your concerns about his advise.

He might have reasons to suggest Aikido, maybe to develop certain aspects that you are lacking now.

Remember your Sifu will give you advise that will allow you to grow the best and develop your abilities to the max.

As for not seeing grabbing in Taiji, it is there you simply might not have been shown those applications. Most of the moves can be used in a variety of ways.
    Initially you need to learn to move the Taiji way, shift weight the taiji way, etc.

OTOH, if you are more interested in a shaolin looking taiji than maybe Chen Taiji is the answer for you.

Personally, I don't think it is a good idea to study multiple arts unless there is a solid reason for it.

Cheers.

Thanks,LC.I appreciate your suggestions and will do as suggested,but i do not intend to leave Yang Tai ji (it`s really cool and ,besides,my brother does Chen Tai ji and I dind`t like it much.although I have nothing against it,Yang Tai ji seems more appropriate for me).You really helped me here,and I will address my sifu about this.

Lin-Wu
    Immensely grateful

The most important questions are:

- Does he actually know anything about Aikido (i.e. practiced it himself)?
    - Does he know anything about the particular school he would send you to?

Remember your Sifu will give you advise that will allow you to grow the best and develop your abilities to the max.
    Unless they are simply mistaken. Teachers make mistakes too.

Personally, I don't think it is a good idea to study multiple arts unless there is a solid reason for it.
    "I will because it's interesting" is a solid argument. "I won't because my teachers will get p1ssy about it", unfortunately, is a solid counterargument.

Originally posted by [Censored]

"I will because it's interesting" is a solid argument. "I won't because my teachers will get p1ssy about it", unfortunately, is a solid counterargument.
    Have to disagree there, for me a solid argument is more than the "simple desire" to do something.

Things like:
    Studying style X will add this skill which I am lacking in.

Studying style Y will get me closer towards the goal I have set myself.

If we simply did things because the looked "interesting" i think we would find that mastery of any endevaour/achieving goals will become a thing of the past.

Just my toughts naturally.

Tai ji students are slimmer and -PHISICALLY ONLY-weak.
    Ever see pics of Yang Cheng Fu of the Yang familly your style is named after?

Anyway, if you really must find something to learn in addition to Taiji you should also check out Xingyi or Bagua if you have access to it...

Taiji needs no supplement...

Taijichuan isn't known as "the Grand Ultimate Fist" for nothing. Taji is a DEADLY martial art that when practices properly can give practitioners amazing strength, speed, and agility (just like all internal martial arts). Your sifu sounds very openminded, however, I don't see the need to go out and learn another system. I would like to make one suggestion however. Do a lot of standing meditation. It will increase your power tremendously. If he hasn't already ask your sifu to teach you the "Universal Post" posture about 30-60 min a day should be good for developing suitable amounts of power that are applicable to Taiji. Be content with your system and you will the the great benefits you will receive.

Josh Skinner

Taijiquan is not called The Grand Ultimate Fist, or at least the name doesn't mean that at all. Other than that, I agree that you shouldn't need to supplement your training with another art, especially since you sound like a beginner (sorry if i've made a mistake here). Just focus on getting the principles in your body.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Better translation for Tai Chi Chuan is:

"Great polarity fist"

or

"Grand Extreme fist"

Which points to the Yin/Yang duality(taiji).

Cheers.

OH!

I had always heard it meant Grand Ultimate. I'm a Xingyi practitioner myself so about all I know about Taiji is what it looks like when someone else is using it on me, lol. To say it is a formidable art is an understatement. Thank You for the Correction.

Josh Skinner

Josh.

It is common mis-translation that unfortunately is being widely accepted as the "correct" one.

Agreed, that it is a formidable art.

Do the shaolin
    just my opinion.
    Bless you