Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Went to a boxing gym...

Originally posted by ComeToJesus
    You shoud probably try and put the skipping rounds together. More like 20 minutes of constant skipping, rather than 3 minutes then rest. I'm not just talking out of my a$$, I used to kickbox.
    The way I used to train was leaving the skipping for the end.
    Nothing wrong with 3 and 1. I've kickboxed also, and I trained that way. You do it that way for several rounds. Why? because that's how the fights will go.

Now that I compete in grappling, I train 5 minute rounds, as that's how my matches go.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Some friendly advice, If you have any intention of going back to cma, you should quit the gym.

Boxing is a good art, no less so then any other cma art.

The tenants of boxing and cma are very different. Lesson learned under some real pressure as in the ring will stay in the body and mind, espeacly if you’re good at boxing. These habits are very hard to break..

enjoy life

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    i got too much on my plate right now to even think about getting serious at a boxing gym, but i firmly believe every man, woman, and child should be able to throw a decent jab, cross, hook, and uppercut.

And be able to take one and recover,although thats not the goal ,if ya can't take a punch you might want to consider taking up
    underwater basket weaving.

bamboo leaf = that's the type of advice that gets kung fu students beat up. ANYTHING you can do that teaches you to fight you should not hesitate to learn.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Originally posted by SevenStar

Nothing wrong with 3 and 1. I've kickboxed also, and I trained that way. You do it that way for several rounds. Why? because that's how the fights will go.

Now that I compete in grappling, I train 5 minute rounds, as that's how my matches go.
    I find it better to do longer rounds than your normal rounds would last. That way you're more prepared.
    Another thing that I find weird in boxing/kickboxing is that people train with "bag gloves", but then fight with sparring gloves which are heavier. To me it would make a hell of a lot more sense to train with gloves heavier than the gloves you spar with.
    Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, do more than what will be expected of you in the ring beforehand. That way you can concentrate on your technique, and not your burning shoulders/cramps etc..

I find it better to do longer rounds than your normal rounds would last. That way you're more prepared.
    No you aren't. Training to go 15 minutes straight is way different than 5. Pacing is all wrong. Train instead to to go MORE rounds.

Another thing that I find weird in boxing/kickboxing is that people train with "bag gloves", but then fight with sparring gloves which are heavier. To me it would make a hell of a lot more sense to train with gloves heavier than the gloves you spar with.
    Different gloves for different purposes. We trained with both heavy and light impliments in track and field for different purposes.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, do more than what will be expected of you in the ring beforehand. That way you can concentrate on your technique, and not your burning shoulders/cramps etc..
    Agreed!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all the great posts!

ComeToJesus - I am going to try to skip for longer, I have problems keeping motivated when doing the same thing for a long period of time but I definaely agree with you. I would like to be able to skip for 15 mins solid as well as in rounds, I guess it depends on my mood.

fa_jing - I have been sparring with my cousin a lot, he is a boxer and he used to do kung fu so we spar with different rules (and sometime none). To be honest I am mainly doing boxing for the fitness. I enjoy the sparring too, I haven't done it in ages (probably nearly a year) and definately need to improve as I am well out of practice! I am scared of some of those boxing guys, I am 240lbs but some of those guys - even the ones weighing 140lbs have such incredible power!

bamboo_ leaf - I probably wouldn't go back to CMA again, I am enjoying what I'm doing. I am fed up of learning loads of techniques, I'd rather practice a few regularly, I still practice kung fu in my own time - I miss the kicking, but I decided I needed to train my hands much harder for the next 6 months.

ComeToJesus / Merryprankster - I don't really like bag gloves at all, I know the foam is more solid than boxing gloves but I either use 12oz gloves or none (though rarely none when using the heavy bag).

Out of interest has anyone here trained in boxing for any length of time? I definately have a lot moe respect for boxers now than I did before, especially their fitness, footwork and power.

MP has bent the correct over and nailed it.

As far as gloves go, I'd spar with 16s, fight with 12s, and when I hit the bag, I do so bare handed.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I boxed for about 9-10 months, going between 4 and 5 times a week.

I had a really great time. But I'm better at grappling and have more opportunity to really excel there, so I had to make a choice.

That said, it was really great fun.

And yes, good boxers hit very hard and very fast. Even average ones hit hard and fast.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Boxing

NPMantis,

I trained Boxing for 3 years straight, 4-5 days/week, 2-3 hours/day when I was in college and even headed up my school's boxing team. I had a great time and it was my introduction to the martial arts. I weight over 180 lbs with very little fat, but I fought at 140 back in those days! Man! I was a bean!

Ford Prefect

What do you do now?

Boxing ? I agree it is a MUST DO, go to a gym get in a ring and get wailed on by somebody who knows how to use their hands and lucky they use 16oz gloves eh? Go home lick your wounds and figure out how to deal with their style of attack. Get back in the ring and try again. Like a fish out of water -- not being able to use your knees or feet eh?

I've spent time with boxers. My brother in-law was Golden Glove's some years back I was amazed at how fast he could go from long range to short range and nail my jaw. Later I learned how to deal with him by using upper and lower body which he called cheating hahaha.

Bottom line is he (my brother in-law) showed gaping holes in my martial arts. Glad I found out in the ring and not on the street.

UM.

NP Mantis,

After boxing, I hit Ba Gua for a little bit, but ended up focussing on BJJ for a few years. During this time, I also trained JKD, Muay Thai, Folkstyle Wrestling, and Judo to round me out. I was injured in early 2002 and right when I was finsihed rehabbing the injury I caught Lyme Desease which destroyed me physically and neurologically (partly paralyzed, lost 30-40 lbs of muscle, etc). I was just able to recover enough to consider myself healthy a little earlier this year. I haven't trained since my injury and probably won't until after I get married in June of next year. Them's the breaks. I figure when I go back, I'm going to focus on boxing again, and train a little JKD/Muay Thai to keep other skills fresh. I don't think I'll ever get as serious in MA as I once was.

"until after I get married in June of next year."
    Congrats.

I work the bag with no gloves, usually until I wind up breaking my hands open. (They stopped busting open for a while, then I moved and took the bag down for 2 months, now the break open again) Then just wear gloves when I break my skin. Sparring we wear 4oz gloves, nothing more. I plan on buying some 16 oz to spar with just to speed up my punches.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    I was just able to recover enough to consider myself healthy a little earlier this year.

And congratulations on that again, by the way. I've been incorporating wind sprints into my workout lately, and upon looking at your daily workouts I realize that you're in far better shape than I am

I haven't trained since my injury and probably won't until after I get married in June of next year.
    Hey, congrats.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn