Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jow Ga, Hung ga , Choy ga Forms

Jow Ga, Hung ga , Choy ga Forms

does anyone know of any jow ga forms/ video clips on the internet if so email me SiHingJow@martialmail.com or post here..

Videos

Hi SiHingJow,

please look under

www.shaolinchowka.com

This school have Video about Jow Ga at his homepage.

Greetings

A question to Chow ga family...

Is your Chow Ka as the same as Chow Tai (one of the ten cantonese tigers)?

-----------------

Shaolin Chow Ka (Jow Ga, Zhou Jia, etc.) kung-fu lineage originated from the Shaolin Temples of China. As with other Shaolin styles, such as Hung Ga and Choy Ga, Chow Ka focuses on particular aspects of Shaolin that distinguish it from other Shaolin branches. Today, the techniques, forms, weapons, chi-kung and training methods of Chow Ka still follow their Shaolin origin.

The name 'Chow Ka' is taken from the family name of Chow, belonging to the five brothers who introduced their unique combination of techniques and philosophies.

hmm, chow tai, ten cantonese tigers...

i dunno, ill have to look into that... around what year(s) was he kicking?

reading the history...
    j(ch)ow ga is hung and choy.

Peace

Around the same time with Wong Fei Hung, Chow Tai was supposed to be the first Grandmaster of Chow Ga. His iron palm kung fu was one of the best among these ten contonese tigers.

hmm i kinda of doubt that just from the statement

"he was supposed the frist grandmaser of chow ga"

this is inconsistent with what i know, but i can easily be wrong.

chow lung formed the chow family fist around 1900. then he and 4 of his brothers, spread jow ga, becoming known as the 5 tigers of jow ga. a army general (li fuk lam if i remember right, but i was never too concerned with names) held a fighting compititon for martial trainier in which jow lung particpated and won. he died fairly soon after from phenomna. leaving the spread of jow ga to his four brothers chow biu, chow hoy, chow tin, and chow hip.

i will have to investigate the ten tigers further to find about chow tai. it is possible chow tai practiced chow ga mantis and not chow family fist. but im not sure.

interesting question though

Take Care

<<i will have to investigate the ten tigers further to find about chow tai. it is possible chow tai practiced chow ga mantis and not chow family fist. but im not sure.>>

No, Chow Tai was not from Mantis KF family. In this case, Chow Tai and Chow Lung are two different Chow Ga. They are not the same "Chow" in Chinese Charecter.

hmm, i guess there is yet another style with the same sound pattern for a name running around, good to know. I only brought up the mantis style becuase i have seen confusion over these two styles before.

What system is chow tai's then? i assume if he is the 1st "grandmaster" then he is the founder of the system?

Take Care

<<What system is chow tai's then? i assume if he is the 1st "grandmaster" then he is the founder of the system?>>

Chow Tai's Chow Ga Staff and Chow Ga Iron Plam are two major things in Chow Tai KF family. Now, just a few people still practice Chow Tai KF in southern China. Chow Tai KF and Chu Ga Tong Long are running out their times in recent kung fu history.

The five Chow brothers who originated Chow Gar (Jow Ga, Chow Ka, Zhou Jia etc) were:
    Chow Lung and his brothers Chow Biu, Chow Hip, Chow Tin and Chow Hoy. Chow lung was a contemporary of Wong Fei Hung (to put it in historical perspective)

Chow Tai must be from another family of kung fu, unless you are thinking of Chow Tin?

<<Chow Tai must be from another family of kung fu, unless you are thinking of Chow Tin>>

Chow Tin???

Chow Tai was one of the ten contonese tigers. And Chow Lung was not even born yet at that time.

Your original question was about Chow Gar/Jow Ga/Chow Ka… so to answer your question: "No Chow Tai has nothing to do with Chow Gar"

As far as the '10 Tigers of Canton' are concerned, they are not fixed in one particular generation. Wong Fei Hung became one of the 10 Tigers when one of the current 10 Tigers (at the time) passed away. Wong Fei Hung and Chow Lung were contemporaries, and also knew each other.

"No Chow Tai has nothing to do with Chow Gar"

They are two different Chow families (Chow Tai's Chow and Chow Lung's Chow are two different Chinese charecters)

Rolling_Hand

Apart from Chow Gar (as originated by Chow Lung), the only other Chow Gar that I have heard of is Chow Gar Southern Preying Mantis. Is that the style that you are referring to? If not, please tell us a bit about the style of the Chow Tai that you refer to. It is always interesting to learn of other family styles.

Fu-Pau,

Chow Tai was more well known than Chow Lung in mainland China. Chow Tai was famous for his Chow Ga Pak Kwa Kwan (staff) and Tit SAA Zheung(Iron Palm). Chow Tai's Chow Ga, Chow Lung's Chow Ga and Chow Ga Tong Long are three different kf families.