Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Critique This Technique

It's not such a big thing, but far be it from me to stop everyone from ganging up on a guy and beating him like an adultress showing some ankle at a taliban fund raiser.

Anyway, the other problem with going to the crook of the arm, imo, is that it still leaves your neck in the opponent's control. Even excluding sleepers and carotid closure, your neck is in danger, and thus, you are in danger. I just think it's best to have urgency getting your neck free of ANY hold, and so I think it's better to make your first step getting free, not your second.

On the flip side, if you can get your chin dropped, it's better than nothing, but that hold is on, and you are at the other person's mercy.

It's interesting that the main voiced concern with having your neck encircled is unconsciousness, and not crippling injury. Because the guy's security and thus somehow "trusted"? or because of competition mindset? Not that it affects how well you can escape, just got me thinking. Would a neck break from there be faster than a choke and/or closing off the carotid? Or do I watch too many old movies?

It's actually really hard to break a neck, even from a position like that. Mind you, look at that dude's forearm!

However, I won't discount considerable cartilage damage or bone chips - the vertbrae are lumpy little bones. Then there's muscle tears, etc.

There's also holding the choke too long and starving the brain of oxygen into brain damage, but that's unlikely.

And yes. You watch too many old movies.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Post well whatever doods

you say that i am wrong, okay then. you say my method wont work, ok then. i am the polar opposite of correct then right? okay then.

just remember that even though you think what you are saying is FACT. i KNOW from paying attention in school that your comments are OPINIONS, and so are mine.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

That must be how you got your arse handed to you

Hehehe...
    ATTN Peoples....
    I learned a pretty nifty counter to the choke hold... starts off turning your head to the crook of the elbow...
    Guess TWS wasnt that wrong after all.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

It's the difference between theory and practice

Originally posted by KC Elbows

It's interesting that the main voiced concern with having your neck encircled is unconsciousness, and not crippling injury. Because the guy's security and thus somehow "trusted"? or because of competition mindset? Not that it affects how well you can escape, just got me thinking. Would a neck break from there be faster than a choke and/or closing off the carotid? Or do I watch too many old movies?
    I presume there are numerous people besides myself on this forum who have been choked unconscious.

I'll hazard a guess that while there are numerous people on this forum who've been neck cranked there's *no one* on this forum who's had anyone break or dislocate their neck.

In any case, with the exception of time frame (highly, er, compressed with a break), I can't see how the counter would be any different.

As an aside, while I've trained several neck breaks in my lifetime, I can honestly say I have no confidence in them. Those who do are in a disjoint set of the scariest people on earth and the scariest people in their own mind.
    Wing Chun has lots of sayings. If sayings won fights, WC would rule the world (presumably by talking its opponents to death).

Empirical evidence strongly suggests this has yet to happen.

--anerlich

The Willow Sword:
    you say that i am wrong, okay then. you say my method wont work, ok then. i am the polar opposite of correct then right? okay then.

just remember that even though you think what you are saying is FACT. i KNOW from paying attention in school that your comments are OPINIONS, and so are mine.
    tnwingtsun:
    That must be how you got your arse handed to you

Couldn't have said it better myself.

TWS, what you are suggesting is like saying that an effective block for a powerful front kick is to absorb it on your face. Sure, it will slow down the kick and end the confrontation, but it's absolutely not the right thing to do.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

I learned a throw from it. Works either way. Doesnt matter which way you turn your head unless you suck. You gotta be pretty slow... we worked it tonight.

Edit: At lest while throwing.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    I learned a throw from it. Works either way. Doesnt matter which way you turn your head unless you suck. You gotta be pretty slow... we worked it tonight.

Edit: At lest while throwing.
    Dude, you try to throw a guy like that when he has you locked like that he'll rip your head clean off.

Unless you are referring to the trip throw described earlier (stepping behind his leg) in which case you'd snap your on neck if you tried to do that and turn your head toward his elbow at the same time.

Ok.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

SD--

I think I learned that too, but the problem is, it's not off a rear naked choke. It's off a normal headlock, which is most certainly NOT the same thing.

I could very easily be wrong though. Which throw are you using to counter it, and are we talking headlock or rear naked choke?
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

SD, describe it. I'm curious, and not saying it's absolutely impossible, but it just doesn't jibe with my experiences. i.e. share your knowledge here.

Fragbot,
    I inferred that the counter would be the same. I was just commenting on the fact that perhaps that thinking didn't place the proper urgency on getting out.

And while I agree neck breaks may not be as sure as chokes, I'm not about to volunteer to verify their efficacy.

Interestingly, last night in Judo we practiced turning our head toward the elbow, making sure to tuck the chin behind the elbow, and then throwing.

"Interestingly, last night in Judo we practiced turning our head toward the elbow, making sure to tuck the chin behind the elbow, and then throwing."

Crip- Im talking about off a rear naked choke.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

One more time...

Could one of you describe this manuever?