Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: New SD Videos at Shaolin Center

My Sifu makes us learn certain weapons before others, so we are required to learn chain before he'll even think about teaching rope dart. Only 2 people in my school know it, and one busted his head open pretty good with it. I think it's a good idea to learn chain first...others may disagree.
    Defenitely learn chanwhip first!!! It's much simpiler than the rope dart. One mistake with the rope dart and you can kiss your teeth bye bye(I think it happened to a wushu coach in D.C.). Rope dart has a series of "knots" you learn wrapping the rope around your body and then shooting it out causing the whole thing to unravel. Check out Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon with the horseshoe to see what I'm talking about

Judge pen-

That is pretty cool that master mullins still uses the old requirements. Master schaefer had a big hand-written chart from grandmaster sin. I used to read that thing all the time. Now it kinda obsolete though...for us anyway.

themeecer-

Most schools are teaching the hua fist forms from third to fourth now. The drunken immortals are introduced at fourth to fifth now. I know that you have been around for awhile, so that may be something relatively new. And I know that your teacher has a slightly different set-up than a lot of schools.

Chain whip has got to be the all time best weapon ever. I have both of the shaolin do chain whip forms that have been taught out right now. I havent learned three-section staff, but cant wait. The swing where you catch it in your teeth is actually used for what you guys said earlier. The different places that you swing the whip off of your body helps you to change the distance of your strike as your fighting distance changes. Once you get the catching and swinging part down with your teeth, the strikes just really fall in place. It is a nice move! That and shooting it off of your head...pretty much anything that you learn how to make work with a whip is a great move!! I dont know if that form was originally part of hiang's set, but master schaefer teaches it in texas, so grandmaster sin must be teaching it in his schools now too.

Ben

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    If you were going to learn it from a video, he's the guy to learn it from. His rope dart is awesome.
    He was at Taiji Legacy... had that booth... I was hoping he'd do part of the masters demo...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

There is a cool rope-dart fight in Kill Bill.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Cool ... going to see that tomorrow after church. Was going to catch it tonight but I was out of town for a tournament. Getting to see the real deal is better than a movie anyway. Not too thrilled about watching Lucy Liu in a movie again, really. I guess I'll go for Uma, granted I don't see how she was ever a super model .. she's cute but she isn't a Christy Brinkley.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Just a warning. Ive heard Kill Bill is extremely violent (in a monty python, black knight sort of way).
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Cool .. I like violence.

What do I have against Lucy? Nothing, if you don't mind ugly skany hos. Ever since I saw her in Play It To The Bone I have despised her. There are so many hot Asian women in Hollywood, I have no idea why they keep picking her. Take a good look at this pic I am posting, and disregard that she is scantly clothed. Now imagine her without the perfect lighting and makeup. Hideous.

And please don't call her a Kung Fu babe .. did you see her fighting ability in that spy movie with Antonio Banderos?
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab

Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
    Just a warning. Ive heard Kill Bill is extremely violent (in a monty python, black knight sort of way).
    I saw a preview thing on E! and it was saying how one particular scene in Kill Bill required over 100 gallons of fake blood. Gotta love Tarantino!!!!

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never break under the pressure!

Well I just got of the movie. Bleh! What a waste of time. It had one or two good moments, but for the most part it sucked in the way only artsy ****sy flics can. I did like the little gal with the chain ball. And in all fairness this is one of the better times I've seen Lucy. It could have been attributed to her standing out in the snow, whith a white komono on brandishing a samurai sword.

I guess my biggest grip was the constant changing of directing style. If I wanted to go see anime I would go to a comic book convention and buy some there.

edit: They censored f artsy?!?!?
    Last edited by themeecer; 10-12-2003 at 12:56 PM.
    -shaolinarab

meecer, you are such an idiot.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Just got back from Kill Bill and really enjoyed it(esp. the kickass anime section ). It was very violent and there were a few parts that caused me to wince. The movie was kind of a wierd comedy though, lol. VERY artsy. Postmodern is the word I'm looking for(if I remember correctly from my art history class, lol). I love Lucy Liu, cool actress. I think a lot of people won't understand it though. It sort of combines that retro 70's distorted since of time style of Pulp Fiction, with anime and old kungfu movies, and a bit of wu xia style wirework & hong kong gun ballet thrown in A lot of the dialouge is intentionally cheesy though. Might annoy some :P He did some wierd stuff with the sound too.

Originally posted by themeecer
    Cool .. I like violence.

What do I have against Lucy? Nothing, if you don't mind ugly skany hos. Ever since I saw her in Play It To The Bone I have despised her. There are so many hot Asian women in Hollywood, I have no idea why they keep picking her. Take a good look at this pic I am posting, and disregard that she is scantly clothed. Now imagine her without the perfect lighting and makeup. Hideous.

And please don't call her a Kung Fu babe .. did you see her fighting ability in that spy movie with Antonio Banderos?
    Dude. Is that the best you've got? Not that I'm a fan or anything but seriously guy, everyone has a bad angle / bad day! The chick works hard, she totally entitled to look like **** for one shoot.

blooming lotus got a love thang going on for Lucy Liu.

Am I the only one turned on by this?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Originally posted by Serpent
    meecer, you are such an idiot.
    Why because I find Lucy ugly or that I didn't like the movie?

A movie's job is to entertain, this one didn't do that job for me. I was bored out of my mind. There were so many useless things in that movie. I don't care if it was reminiscent of such and such director, I found it annoying. What was up with the annoying water spout thing during the final battle? It kept going 'clunk.... clunk.' And where I live if it is snowing like that you wouldn't have running water outside, it would be frozen. What was up with the random beeps during the movie? And the use of anime? And the annoying use of black and white; when blood is being thrown across the screen I like to see it in color. And the use of spaghetti westerns? And so on...

When did things like:
    It sort of combines that retro 70's distorted since of time style of Pulp Fiction, with anime and old kungfu movies, and a bit of wu xia style wirework & hong kong gun ballet thrown in
    become good intellectual cinema instead of being random weirdness? (No offense to brad, since I quoted you there) I did like the making of the sword part of the movie, though. And a few minor other things that I won't remark on to keep some surprises intact for those who have not seen it.
    -shaolinarab

meecer - the fact that you don't understand it does not make it bad.

Things like this:

I guess my biggest grip was the constant changing of directing style. If I wanted to go see anime I would go to a comic book convention and buy some there.
    are not constructive criticism. They just highlight your ignorance.

Ergo, you're an idiot.