Originally posted by trilobite

The fact is that skill in the ring isn't exactly the way you fight on the street. Many tournaments have rules mostly for insurance reasons. But in a fight there are ABSOLUTELY NO rules. That's why I tend to do bad in sparring, I like to use things that insurance companies would not like to see. I'm not a bad fighter, but I can barely spar for my life.
Two things:

1) I love how people automatically assume that rules are always obeyed in tournaments. I know of boxers who practiced entire combinations of fouls AND got away with during nationally covered matches. I'm sure the BJJ guys know of other dirty players, as do the San Shou guys, and the Shidokan guys. It's amazing how easy it is to give up on rules when you know they're not being enforced or the infraction is out of sight.

2) What were the "dirty" tactics that you used in practice? Were you biting ears off? Spitting in faces? Biting off eyebrows and spitting it back in the person's face (my favorite rugby story of all time, btw)? Details, man, details. Or, would that be self-incriminating for all the dead bodies you've left in the wake?