Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-Do answers challenge.

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    The Southern Shaolin temple (if it even existed as a center for martial arts) was destroyed before Su Kong Tai Djin was even born. We've already established this.

The written legends about the Fukien Shaolin Temple and NOW archeological evidence backs this up.

If Su Kong and Ie trained at the temple then please tell us where that temple is located?
    No we have not. We have established that one temple in Fukein was destroyed before this time. There were others. Please tell you where the temple Su Kong trained in is located? Can't do it .. it's destroyed.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Can't do it .. it's destroyed.
    Destroyed and obliterated off the face of the earth aren't exactly the same thing. There should be some archeological evidence from an attack by government forces on a religious monastary as recent as 1900.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Well the evidence can be there whether or not it has been found yet. Time and luck may prove it's discovery. Granted we could both be dead by that time.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab

Arnold's(as in Schwartzneger) Battle of Columbus March 5-7 San Shou turnout was pretty huge last year, and it's probably one of the biggest open tournements around. There's seperate divisions for Contemporary wushu, classical wushu, karate, tae kwon do, jujitsu, etc. etc. Plus there's a huge fitness expo going on along with it and the Governator usually shows up to give a brief speach and pick up his honrary blackbelt, trophy, plaque, whatever else piece of crap they decide to give him
    I may be down there as well. Probably wont compete, but i may go to support the team and check it out.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

I was looking for more on Su Kong and I found two non-sd sites that mention him...

http://evolution.massey.ac.nz/lectur...s/hypertri.htm

http://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb41/lecture14.pdf
    On page 12 at the above link.

Both of these sites are about genetic defects (hypertrichosis) and cite su kong as an example. However, it doesn't relate their sources for the su kong pic and info.

Holy crap! How did you find that? That's cool.
    -shaolinarab

As for the circus/traveling performers, I think it's entirely possilbe. Most likely though we'll never know for sure, I do remember Sifu Mike Mullins mentioning one time that the "chicken walk" we do sometimes for training was what the gaurds of the travelling caravans would do back in the day. It could also explain why we have "parts" of so many different styles. I don't think it actually devalues our art in any way, but I don't know if it's true or not. And most likely GM Sin might not either. But those are the breaks. "Pure" Shaolin Kung Fu doesn't exist anymore. And I don't think we ever claimed ours to be "pure."
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

And I don't think we ever claimed ours to be "pure."
    originally posted by themeecer
    Take heart that you are studying the most comprehensive art in the world with a direct link to the Shaolin temple. Fortunately our art left China before the 1950s or we would all be studying wushu instead of the pure art we have now.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Hey! That one's on Meecer.
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

MK,

did you get a haircut or something, b/c something looks different about you today?

It's my Halloween costume. This year, I'm trick-or-treating as the publisher of Kung Fu/ Taiji Magazine.

I'm surprised you recognized me!

Blog Entries
    I just emailed the people who lectured on the picture of Su Kong.

We may soon know the origin of that picture.

I'd be quakin in your boots SD fellas....

Either they have an independant source or they found it from an SD website. At worst we are arguing over the same stuff as before.

Fu Pow, you never responded to my post on the Drunken Immortals system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I really like that travelling performer theory. It's not only possible but plausible as well, though I'm not certain it's true, but I'm really not certain anything's true. We weren't there. But regardless, whomever it belongs to should get a reward for creativity.
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

Blog Entries
    I found this on a site called skepdics.com:

pseudohistory
    Pseudohistory is purported history which

treats myths, legends, sagas and similar literature as literal truth
    is neither critical nor skeptical in its reading of ancient historians, taking their claims at face value and ignoring empirical or logical evidence contrary to the claims of the ancients

is on a mission, not a quest, seeking to support some contemporary political or religious agenda rather than find out the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the past

often denies that there is such a thing as historical truth, clinging to the extreme skeptical notion that only what is absolutely certain can be called 'true' and nothing is absolutely certain, so nothing is true

often maintains that history is nothing but mythmaking and that different histories are not to be compared on such traditional academic standards as accuracy, empirical probability, logical consistency, relevancy, completeness, fairness, honesty, etc., but on moral or political grounds

is selective in its use of ancient documents, citing favorably those that fit with its agenda, and ignoring or interpreting away those documents which don't fit

considers the possibility of something being true as sufficient to believe it is true if it fits with one's agenda

often maintains that there is a conspiracy to suppress its claims because of racism, atheism or ethnocentrism, or because of opposition to its political or religious agenda
    I think you SDers are guilty of every one of these things.

And then when you get called out on it you say, well, we don't care anyways cause Sin The's a great guy.......
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 10-21-2003 at 04:25 PM.