Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: im converting to muay thai

Tong Long Training

Hi Ging Mo Fighter,
    Did you do any padwork with Gawain??
    Most destructive hand and leg techniques in Tong Long will get you out of trouble from a Thai Boxer.

Aussie John

Hiyaz

i studied Ging Mo for a few years myself. I wasnt just a ~2 day a weeker~ but i trained basically 6 days a week and was a part of the demo team (altho the demo team was mostly a big joke and the only thing i really liked about it was the lion dancing).

Ging Mo is probably one of the best styles around for raw street fighting. The power generated by some people i know is quite amazing.

but alas, the school was jsut too commercial. Honestly, 80 dollars for a 9 sectional whip when in in se asia they are like 8 dollars. PALEEZE!

I have since quit the school because of these and other reasons. But i wouldnt go past the training they provide. Now i am boxing, the training is awesome in that too much like thai boxing. but i think only fitness wise, its the only reason i am still boxing. if you could add the fitness training to the kung fu training then you'd be set! thats my opinion anyway without droning on about too much.

im just curious as to who you are ging mo fighter? and you joker?if you want you can icq me to speak? 23283717

you got something **** right about the "trainee program" they offer. sure you can become an instructor, the cost is just extreme. and i have personal experience to back that up. your basically a slave 24 hours a day. I have intimate knowledge about all this stuff aswell. imho its not / wasn't worth it. forget about opening up your own school either. royalties, gradings. pah!

aussie john: have you done padwork with gawain? if so let me ask, how much did you pay to do padwork with gawain?

the training there is the best imho. TOO BAD THO because it drives anyone who is decent out of the school (not to be concieted or anything! heh)

Originally posted by Eddie
    Well said k-no.
    ging mo, its not about the style as much as it is about the fighter.

It's also about the training. Perhaps his school just isn't doing it for him. I started longfist after leaving muay thai (school closed) and longfist just didn't give me the same workout as MT, and the level of contact wasn't the same. I now grapple (bjj and judo) and the old intensity I had with the MT training has returned, as well as the contact level.

At the end, fighting is still fighting.
    opne thing to remember, you wont be able to muay thai for too many years (too many injuries). Why give up kung fu?

true, but some teach it more efficiently.

I know someone who fought full contact for his 50th birthday present to himself. Train smart and you'll be okay. That applies to any style. He may not be competing at his old age, but he can definitely train.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

pad work

GingMoImmortal ,
    No. I haven't. But I am in the same generation as him through a different lineage. My students do pad work in their traning session.

Re: Tong Long Training

Originally posted by Aussie John
    Hi Ging Mo Fighter,
    Did you do any padwork with Gawain??
    Most destructive hand and leg techniques in Tong Long will get you out of trouble from a Thai Boxer.

Aussie John
    what are you basing that on?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If only to provide a possible alternative for serious martial arts training, my shifu has just recently accredited an instructor in Perth. The system I study is Yang Mian, and having studied a variety of arts, including muay thai for a number of years, I honestly feel this system to be very effective. I've personally grown alot as a person since having started training in yang mian, and continue to do so with every session. Kristian (the perth instructor) is also an awesome martial artist, and from memory has mma experience, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, give him a call if you interested, if only for a demonstration and the sake of reference. His contact number is 0410 730 860.

On a slighly different note, do any of you Perth guys know how (Jujutsu) Master Jan De Jong school is fairing since his unfortunate passing?

JanDeJong passed away? I didn't hear, and im sorry to hear about that, I heard he did wonderful things for jujitsu, silat and aikido in Perth
    Use attack as your indestructable spirit

Yeah, a few months ago now unfortunately. A great loss to the martial arts community. I was just wondering how his school was fairing since, as I know he was very much the heart & soul.

Btw, the Yang Mian website is www.yangmian.com
    Last edited by Azrael; 11-23-2003 at 11:45 PM.