Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how does choy lay fut deal with wing chun

Re: how does choy lay fut deal with wing chun

Originally posted by wahh
    hi,

i was wondering if any choy lay fut practiioner can tell me how they would deal with a wing chun fighter.

Has he trained in anything besides wing chun? Has he been training longer than you? what's the height/weight difference? size does matter, as does his reach. There are way to many factors to legitimately answer such a question...

you gotta make him play your game, your rules. don't let his style dictate the fight.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

This little chestnut about Wing Chun v Choi Lee Fut always comes around.
    Having studied both systems I’ve never really understood the some of the arguments.
    Both systems you punch, block, elbow, knee, palm, kick, sweep, push, and throw.
    "Ira furor brevis est !"
    ====================;;;;<>
    I didn't want fries with that or even soda doesn't any one in this dam country ever listen.

not seen CLF :|

Originally posted by alecM
    This little chestnut about Wing Chun v Choi Lee Fut always comes around.
    I have only seen CLF in a book, I haven't had the opportunity to see it properly. I thought CLF was a longfist style, while WC is short fist? It's just in this book the CLF Master was doing a Fan form and a Spear form which looked longfist.

Anyone want to tell me a bit about CLF? Very interested.

SmallAssassin you could check out these links for a start
    Have a look at these links
    http://www.chuskungfu.org/movies.htm
    http://www.choyleefut.com.au/update/gallery.asp
    "Ira furor brevis est !"
    ====================;;;;<>
    I didn't want fries with that or even soda doesn't any one in this dam country ever listen.

or: http://www.clfma.com./
    have a look at the "master class" section... some good videos of sifu Chen Yong Fa of the Chan family lineage.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Validity of te question aside, why does no one ever mention been choy?
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Question

I do
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Been Choy: a Dot (whip) technique with a hint of Ding (nail on). A lateral swinging backfist. Very powerful, very nice (looks good in forms as well).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Some lineages call it dot choy.

Lightbulb

hey guys,

if i may be allowed to offer my opinion?!

when it comes to choy lee fut and wing chun, people only see the obvious differences between the 2 systems. of course, clf "LOOKS" like a long range system, and may seem ineffective to wing chuns infighting, but to the intiated, and with the proper guidance from a sifu who is worth his weight in salt, would show you the finer points of clf.

clf is only long range if thats all you see. but when i went to kansas city and exchanged hands with some wc students i showed them that clf is not what it appears to be. but that is as far as i will go on that because i feel that fighting strategies should be discussed amongst people of the same style so not to give up our secrets. and that goes for any style.

if we knew all of each others secrets, then why would we practice one particular style? look into clf and everything from infighting, grappling, and ground fighting to devestating hand techniques is all there. you just have to use your knowledge, ability, and creativity to make clf work against any system.

thanks for listening,

frank
    Fight to win!!!

Blog Entries
    Welcome back frank. I'm glad to see you are taking your medication again. BTW, nice choice of name...SifuX....very funny.

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread. On the topic of sensitivity, I think CLF definitely develops this. Chuin is not only a great block, but a great clear as well...as well as a downward Kum (it can act in a similar fashion as lop sao).

True our main goal is to hit the body (at any range), but we have both hard and soft ways of clearing limb that's in the way of the gate we wanna hit. Through drill practice, a CLF guy can develop quite a bit of sensitivity. So if I attack with a Gwa to an in-fighter, I know how he's gonna block it, because there's only a finite amount of ways to block it- so, I've developed that sensitivity of what to do right after that.

Incidentally, the full technique of Chuin La is a block and a clear (a grab pull downward). So our curriculum does incorporate sensitivity training in a unique way.

I think what the real challenge is, is who can get inside. Whoever manages this, whether WC or CLF is gonna dominate. Once you get inside, it seems like it's over- just plow forward be it chain punches or continuous CLF elements.

An interesting thought to ponder is how would a WC guy handle multiple CLF opponents, or how would a CLF guy handle multiple WC opponents.

(Hi Fu-Pow! Been a long time!)
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Yo Yo Yo....

Several wing chun people have told me that they would close the gap and then do the usual wing chun stuff. They said that in close distance CLF has the disadvantage since they can't use the sweeping motions.

Coming from a Bak Hsing background, we are very linear as well. The fight doesn't start until we meet, so the best way to get the party started is to step up and in.

We want to be in close. That's the only way to get what we want.

nospam.

I can only speak from my experience and Bak Hsing background..we move fast, relentless, and cover much ground.

I recall fighting in tournaments and other stylists would comment on our mobility. We had one fellow who operated his own gung fu school of a different style come to us to learn as he was amazed at our foot work and command of hands.

We have few sets, concentrate on the ground up and practise a lot of mobility drills and training. One of the hardest things to do is practise traditionally and then train traditionally. One of the rare finds in any kwoon is a teacher who knows how to incorporate the traditional (concepts & training) into the fight. That is why so many throw out the traditional as antiquated and useless, but why train one way, yet fight another? This is why our fighting mirrors our sets.

nospam.

sc guy- Ip man wasnt changinga principle- he was applying it in the advice that he reportedly gave. Wing chun is a double handed system. With the right amount of chi sao timing experience- sometimes you need and can use both hands to control the person throwing a powerful blow like some clf swings.