Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newtonian mechanics and Punching

Newtonian mechanics and Punching

Just some thoughts …..

[list=1](1) F = m x a
    (Force = mass x acceleration)[/list=1]
    Force required to move mass m (your fist) with acceleration a. This is just a really simplified model.

Since a = rate of change of velocity with respect to time, we can also write:

[list=1](2) F = m x dv/dt
    Where dv/dt is the rate of change in velocity.[/list=1]
    So if you imagine accelerating your fist, from rest, then to achieve the greatest force you want to either get to the highest speed possible or do it in the smallest time interval; preferably both.

But what happens when you make contact? Well the idea is to try and transfer all the momentum (or energy, used interchangeably although they are different things) of your punch into your opponent.

Ideally you'd transfer 100%, which brings your fist to a rest and all the momentum/energy is transferred into your opponent. Imagine the executive "cat's cradle" toy, where you've got a row of steel balls suspended by string from a frame. You draw one ball back, it hits the other balls and the ball on the other end is flicked back. Well that what you want your punch to do.

We can re-formulate equation (2), because momentum p = m x v (mass x velocity). So:

[list=1](3) F = dp/dt[/list=1]
    The greater the change in momentum the greater the force imparted to the opponent. So if the opponent is at rest, or coming towards you, then the momentum of your punch will have a greater effect than if he was moving away.

If we look at things from an energy viewpoint. The kinetic energy of your punch, converted from your muscular potential energy, is given by:

[list=1](4) 1/2 x m x v2
    (half x mass x velocity squared).[/list=1]
    The faster your fist is moving, the more kinetic energy you will impart to your opponent at contact.

"But what about heavy weight boxers?", I hear you ask; "they can punch harder than light weights". Probably many reasons for this, but I can think of 2 off the top of my head:

[list=1]1) I'm only describing the fist, propelled by the bicep/tricep muscle pair. In reality you're punching with your whole body and therefore the larger the body mass, the more momentum you can deliver.

2) There may be a limit to how quickly one can move a fist, and it may have nothing to do with how big you or your muscles are.[/list=1]
    So for a given mass, I think it may be better for someone to work on their punching speed rather than just get bigger. As has been said before on this forum, there are many kinds of speed in WC (or any martial arts for that matter).

Probably it's easier to increase body mass, or even just arm mass, in relation to the square of the velocity. Is it easier to gain 9 kg, or to increase the velocity of your punch by 3 m/s (which is a LOT)?
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Originally posted by Tak
    Probably it's easier to increase body mass, or even just arm mass, in relation to the square of the velocity. Is it easier to gain 9 kg, or to increase the velocity of your punch by 3 m/s (which is a LOT)?
    Yep, good point there. Is it easy to gain 9 kg of arm mass? That's 19 (British) pounds, which seems like a bloody big increase in bicep size!!

However, if we're talking dv/dt. Then decreasing the time it takes to reach your previous speed from rest (i.e. improving your acceleration) generates more force.

dv = velocity/speed at impact - rest speed (0), so dv is positive and is effectively the speed at impact.

I think an important point when discussing equations like this is to always step back and ask yourself how can you benefit from such a mental exercise. How is it helping you to train better and improve in your wing chun? In the end you need to learn to relax more for speed and power? train your root better? work harder more in general, or in specifics? Do you need equations to tell you this?

Sure, just using a simple example. Also, if we're figuring body mass instead of just arm mass, 19 pounds is almost nothing. It would be very difficult to increase your final velocity by 3 m/s, too. It seems like there is a diminishing returns barrier attached to speed that isn't quite as stringent for mass.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Tak- Schroedinger's cat could possibly have something more nsightful to contribute to the dicussion of a wing chun punch- more that Newtonian mechanics possibly?

Hmm, are you suggesting that the punch exists in a dual state of hit and miss until both parties check to see if it has landed?

Or that WC practitioners should be confined in a small box?

I think an important point when discussing equations like this is to always step back and ask yourself how can you benefit from such a mental exercise. How is it helping you to train better and improve in your wing chun? In the end you need to learn to relax more for speed and power? train your root better? work harder more in general, or in specifics? Do you need equations to tell you this?
    Hmmm. Does bashing shaolin-do benefit your training? Or does surfing the net benefit your training? Or does drinking beer benefit your training? Maybe it is just a discussion. Nothing more. Maybe some of us like to talk about physics Yes i know that sound crazy, but guess i am, since i'm also studying it (some)

Gotta get back to this tomorrow.

Does bashing shaolin-do benefit your training?
    No, it reinforces any negative attitudes I have.
    Or does surfing the net benefit your training?
    Yes, it gives me food for thought. Except this forum.
    Or does drinking beer benefit your training?
    Yes! Carbo loading!

Crimsonking is correct imo.

Yeah I only put this thread up after a previous thread on the power of Wing Chun punches got a bit long and somewhat off topic.

I only chose to describe a very simplified situation where only the fist is moving, which I acknowledge is not very realistic.

A stepping punch I think would be quite easy to describe. The momentum of the body is added to momentum of the punch:

Total momentum = M x V + m x v
    (M = body mass, V = body speed, m = fist mass, v = fist velocity)

So this adds credence to the belief that a heavy fighter will punch harder.

As for a turning punch, i.e. twisting the torso about the centre line, I don't have the equations at hand for angular momentum and it's conversion into linear momentum. I'll return to this in a later post.

By the way can any one give me an estimate to how quickly they "twist". Answers on a postcard and in units of radians per second!!

Originally posted by CFT
    So this adds credence to the belief that a heavy fighter will punch harder.
    What if we tweak the question to the heavier fighter having 'the potential' to punch harder. Without that, it sounds like a question of individual development in the hitter. We all know small people who really pack some punch.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I can't help but think about the story of the bumble bee. According to the mathematical calculations of aeronautics engineers and scientists, the bumble bee cannot fly. It's wings are too small relative to its big body. But the bumble doesn't know that. It is not concerned about all the mathematical calculations saying that it can't fly. So, it goes ahead and fly!

IMHO, constant practice is a better way to improve our punching power than all the mathematical equations combined.
    Last edited by Wingman; 11-14-2003 at 01:50 AM.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

Originally posted by Wingman
    After reading all the posts in this thread, I can't help but think about the story of the bumble bee. According to the mathematical calculations of aeronautics engineers and scientists, the bumble bee cannot fly. It's wings are too small relative to its big body. But the bumble doesn't know that. It is not concerned about all the mathematical calculations saying that it can't fly. So, it goes ahead and fly!

IMHO, constant practice is a better way to improve our punching power than all the mathematical equations combined.
    That's a good story and underlines the problem of oversimplifying the problem. The "model" that proves the bumble bee cannot fly assumes that the bee flies in a fixed wing mode, like an aeroplane. Therefore given it's wing size, it was calculated that it couldn't possibly generate enough lift, and therefore couldn't fly. Obviously nonsense!!

Subsequently, scientists have discovered that the bee's wing actually moves in a more complex figure-of-eight pattern and I think that it can generate lift in both the down- and upward-stroke (if I remember correctly).

Obviously mathematics is no substitute for practice, but sometimes mathematical models provide us with insights that are counter-intuitive. Many modern athletes and sportsmen/women make use of the techniques of bio-mechanics and sports science in order to improve their performance. Obviously they have to train and practice as well.

What about the seeming trade-off between dize and speed? I've often noticed that people who gain a lot of muscle mass often lose speed. Also, if a fighter is twice as big as you, that does not mean that his arm (the object that has momentum during a punch) is twice as heavy as your arm... So the payoff for having increased mass under this admittedly limited model is arguable.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity