Thread: Baji + Piqua anyone ?

Baji + Piqua anyone ?

Anyone here studies the Bajipiqua system ?

I have personally learnt both seperately and have been trying to merge them for a few years. However, sad to say that I have been unsuccessful. I was wondering if anyone have any thoughts or experieces they would like to share

The surface levels of techniques seems to be ok. It isn't hard to cross between the slack use of the techniques of both system during sparring. However it power generation part that really frustrates me. Rather than complimenting each other, the big swinging & trusting power of piqua seem to get in the way of the twisting & sinking power of baji. I can't seem to flow from one to the other without changing the approach completely. Kinda like changing styles in the middle of a fight. Since I am aiming for a more harmonious (sp?) merge of the two, I want to know how I can inter-flow the power generation without changing the approach.

actually, I don't think I have accounted the problem here very well. It seems to sound that I am trying to use two styles as one while keeping them seperate. Oh well, for those of you who knows what I am talking about, well, you will know what I am talking about.

The relatively little of Piqua that I've been taught as of yet seems to flow very naturally from the Baji I'm doing.

I think one important thing to keep in mind in view of application is that the two styles engage at slightly different ranges, so the change from one to another accompanies the shifting of fighting range.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

The ranging of the two styles does not seem to pose a problem. Cause Piqua has quite a few close range techniques of it own. Hell, it has a couple of forms devoted to close range combat. Back when I started the merging, I merged those with the baji first. And then moved outwards to the smack-&-wack techniques piqua is known for.
    Still, becuase of the power generation problem, many small movements doesn't link well enough. The problem started to take place during the short range fighting. I kinda made do and ignored it. But the problem became more apparant when I added the long range techniques.

any other thoughts ??

Check out Tony Yang Laoshi's website www.wutangcenter.com. RAF, a forum member, has an excellent article on baji and piqua. That might help you in regards to your question
    "For ministers, Taji quan is used to rule the country.
    For generals, Baji quan is used to defend the country."

read that quite some time ago
    A nice article. Although not really what I was searching for

thanks anyway