Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chum Kil Video Clips from Wong Shun Leung Lineage?

Chum Kil Video Clips from Wong Shun Leung Lineage?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any video clips out there of the Chum Kil form from the Wong Shun Leung lineage?

Cheers,
    p$£ud0

The Science of Infighting has him doing some Chum Kiu. I don't remember if he does the whole form or not.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thanks for the reply Phil. I have that tape, it has a short clip of him doing the Chum Kil at the end of the tape, but it's only a few seconds long. There's also some short footage of the dummy form and the knives if i remember correctly, haven't watched it for a while.

I wonder where that footage is??? I mean, the footage for the second video that was never released.
    p$£ud0

i have wong doing all the forms and giving a seminar on them but i can't give the video out but if you have a question on something i could research it for you
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Thanks Ernie. Just tease us....
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Wong Sifu seems not to have minded being filmed. I am lucky enough to have four or five video's of Wong teaching and presenting seminars. These came to me from the very kind and very generous Sifu’s David Peterson and Rolf Clausnitzer.

Interestingly there appears to be slight differences in some of the movements. Rolf has explained this to me, saying Wong Sifu was constantly striving to improve his performance and understanding of VT. And that he did make changes as he saw fit. Though I in no-way see myself in WSL’s league I do uphold the idea that we need to constantly dissect, test and if possible prove wrong those things passed on to us. If you show me something I will do my utmost to test its validity and would expect the same.

On first viewing WSL’s forms lack the aesthetic quality that may appeal to some and I do not like all that WSL does but not for the above reason.

Andrew Williams.

Hi Andrew
    >>. . . I do uphold the idea that we need to constantly dissect, test and if possible prove wrong those things passed on to us. If you show me something I will do my utmost to test its validity and would expect the same. . . .<<

I wish more WC people thought that way. An art that doesn't grow will die out.

>>. . . On first viewing WSL’s forms lack the aesthetic quality that may appeal to some and I do not like all that WSL does but not for the above reason. . . .<<

I think his forms are a little different because he was a fighter and aesthetics might not have been his prime objective.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

phil
    I think his forms are a little different because he was a fighter and aesthetics might not have been his prime objective.

i think you might be tight from my training at gary's and exposure to others , the goal is purly function under pressure ,the forms are like a table of contents that we fill with our experiences ,
    but the fighting application and refinment in fighting is constantly stressed ,
    i often hear we will all look a little different but we must be able to apply what we know .

i have to see any exact form's from the people i have been exposed to but i do see similar intent in application .

happy turkey day people
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

IMO, esthetics are very far away from Wing Chun.Nobody will be drawn to Wing Chun because of it's "pretty forms" The real beauty of it's forms is in their meaning and development founction.

I also don't like to compare forms to some kind of catalog of moves. It would have been simpler to just write a list of them in the beginning if the forms where only some kind of reference manual.

While I agree with testing and dissecting in order to understand, my worry is that people change things before they understand them properly. The things that live the longest tend to grow slower don't they?

Originally posted by Sekabin
    my worry is that people change things before they understand them properly.
    We see a lot of that around here!

Re; changes--- good point by Old Jong- the closed window character:
    We see a lot of that around here!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An important distinction IMO that is easily ignored---
    changing or adapting an application can be a good idea if dome well... but involves understanding the underlying wing chun
    principles in the first place.
    Changing a major principle- often and usually without understanding it
    is a different matter. Could easily result in being wing chun in name only.

Joy, you are right. I have one question though.
    Do any of us know all there is to know about WC? Seems to me that most of us think we have the "real deal". Who really knows? None of us were there during the develpment of WC. Most of us depend on what filtered down to us.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    Joy, you are right. I have one question though.
    Do any of us know all there is to know about WC? Seems to me that most of us think we have the "real deal". Who really knows? None of us were there during the develpment of WC. Most of us depend on what filtered down to us.
    i have decided that i know more than the ancestors who taught writing so now i write without punctuation or capitalization isn't this more efficient and faster too obviously i am on to a good idea why don't you all do it my way we have nothing to lose
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Phil- None of us know enough about Wing Chun- that is true.
    Ip Man took more to his grave like many great masters than any single one of his students. That is why its good to exchange info across lineages in order to infuse something that may be missing
    in a line.

Regarding such infusion- let me use an analogy from the animal world- in this case canine. Complete inbreeding results in the deterioration of the line. Random breeding can result in a lot of
    sick street dogs. But in a specific narrow road in an amorphous middle the really superb breedrers- know how to preserve the line and yet infuse element of another good line- if they know what they are doing. I am not talking about the kind of cross breeding that resulted in the doberman.... but let us say- to get away from my own(Tigara Malamute or Samoyeds) dogs- Swiss or Alsatian or real German shepherds frpm top lines. Randomness and careless in breeding both have resulted in extensive hyp dysplasia in the US. One has to know what they are doing in order to bring infusion.

However, wing chun is not just what one's teacher taught- there is a subject matter IMO- the teacher can point but one can try to understand the logic of the subject.. Occasionallya superb student improves on the master... that IMO was the case of Ip Man and his teachers. And it could happen again.Good teachers aim for a few of their students to even surpass them.

But it is understanding the principles well that results in the continuation of a good art and even its improvement. Xeroxes of xeroxes dont come out very well. And faddish mixtures dont last long either.
    On the run- sorry for typos. I am missing Grendel's spil check.