Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: horse to bow - where to pivot

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Then I guess we should all convert to HS wrestling!
    The world would be safer, as most HS wrestlers are not so hot.

lol, no.. that wasn't my point

There are many ways to do everything that are just different

I really need to start organizing my thoughts better before posting so they come out more
    Don't back track now, TW. You're on a roll.

Your originial point was that such talk is useless because you never needed to worry about these transitions in your HS wrestling days.

I'm eagerly awaiting your next argument about how learning to punch is useless because you never needed to punch someone to pin them. It should be very enlightening.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by chingei
    The world would be safer, as most HS wrestlers are not so hot.
    I'm offended

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Don't back track now, TW. You're on a roll.
    Backtracking? Sure... if that's what you call clarifying something I said that is being taken differently than what I meant

Do you think a consensus will be reached in on this thread or does the answer even matter?

Sorry if my post hijacked your thread Falcor

Backtracking? Sure... if that's what you call clarifying something I said that is being taken differently than what I meant
    You compared this discussion to an article in BB on how to walk properly, in effect saying that the discussion taking place was pointless.

If that was not you intention, please clarify for me what you original point was in posting that statment.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

No problem. I never get offended or riled up about internet forum posts anymore.

You do bring up an interesting point that in real life usage, you never do it exactly like textbook. But then again, when you're training you've gotta start somewhere. I think of it as doing those in-text problems in physics books where you're given a frictionless surface or some such. Real life is not that simple, but those sample problems often help you to understand the principle behind the thing.

Anyway, what I was after is what other people use - different people in different arts do the same things differently. Sometimes they may seem totally contrary to each other, but they make sense within their internal order of logic. So far I've heard some neat discussion on the heel v. ball-of-feet v. arch. Keep it coming!
    ...don't think you are, know you are...

Master Killer, I understand the problem now. I was not saying that the techniques using the transition was pointless... just this discussion was without context.

cool Falcor, some of my posts can get people riled up and that is rarely if ever my intention.

What do you train?

I don't remember being taught any specific way to make this transition, but I noticed that I did it while pivoting on the heel and then shifting my weight to the arch and ball while projecting forward into my bow stance. This felt the most natural and I didn't feel like I was sacrrificing any speed while doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

What is the fighting application of this pivot?

At my fake monk government issued wushu school we do it on on the balls of our feet.

Some pivot with both heel and toe while transferring through stances. For example, if you are turning to the left your left foot should pivot on the heel and the right foot should pivot on the toes. This prevents your back foot(right in this case) from getting buried and gives you a slightly wider base so you don't do the tightrope wobble thing. Anyone else do this?

Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
    i use the front part of my foot and eventually use my whole foot and waste to pivot. put your hips into it too so you can get that snap.
    Hewph! I was starting to wonder if I was understanding what you guys were calling Bow-stance. I Don't really pivot, per say. It's more of a snap of the upper torso. Do it fast enough and with good persision, you end up in bow. Do it wrong, it looks more like 5-star. {shrungs} 'S how I do it anyway.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    What is the fighting application of this pivot?
    Depending on the system/teacher of course, it can be (for example) a way of training power generation, of getting the body and feet into the striking.

Also, people are talking of pivoting in place, but that's just one way to shift from one to the other. You can step from one to the other, with either foot (though, of course there will still be pivoting going on, but it sort of takes care of itself). IMHO, this is key to actually realizing how these stances work in application. Step with them, don't stand in them.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake