Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: horse to bow - where to pivot

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    indestructible: I can't read anything you say w/o hearing Bender's voice.

you'll get my vote for best audiolization at the KFM Grammy's.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Oso
    indestructible: I can't read anything you say w/o hearing Bender's voice.

you'll get my vote for best audiolization at the KFM Grammy's.
    My evil plan to conquer the world is finally taking place!
    MMMMWWWHHAHHAHHHAAHAHA.... cough,cough ah ha ha

I'm also a member of the wise and exalted "pivot on the heel" crowd.

What was said earlier is true, you maintain your root thru the stance shift if you pivot from the heel. You lose root pivoting from the ball.

If you would join me in getting up from your chair and setting yourself into a nice solid horse stance, we'll do a little group participation. Ignore the looks from those in the neighboring cubicles and humor me.

Test #1: Pivot from the heel as you sloooowwwwwly transition to a bow stance. Notice how your lead knee maintains its position over your root, feel how solid and nice your stance is throughout the transition. Notice how your center of gravity flows smoothly forward with the transition, enhanced by the strong yet graceful line of your foot-ankle-knee-hip. Bliss.

Test #2: Pivot from the ball of the foot, and slooowwwwwly transtition to a bow stance. Notice how your knee twists unnaturally during the transition. Notice how much tension and force are being wasted in your lower leg as it actually tries to counteract the shift in your center of gravity as it moves forward. You are actually retreating your forward point of stability as you move your weight forward! Notice how you have had to temporarily "lift" your root and resettle it as you finish the transition. Listen to the rustling as 1000s of former Shaolin Monks roll in their graves in despair at your weakened stance.
    And all that the Lorax left here in this mess
    was a small pile of rocks, with the one word..."UNLESS."
    --Dr. Seuss

Wink

I guess I meant a pivot centered in the middle of the foot.

Later in training this transition becomes an important part in generating power with weapons.

Exclamation

Wow, we just had this conversation at our kwoon.. And it is better at the heel!