Thread: mantis core curriculum

mantis core curriculum

Hello,

Could someone tell me what the core forms in the northern mantis curriculum are? I realize that it depends on the version, so I am curious about the following two in particular: Seven-Star Northern Mantis and Taichi Praying Mantis (especially from the CiuChukKai lineage). I don't mean the entire fomrs list as this may differe from school to school and sifu to sifu, but the bare bones forms that every school teaches becasue they are the kernel of the style. As an exmple, I am talking about something like Gung Gee Fook Fu, Tiger Crane, 5 or 10 Animal/Forms Fist, and Iron Wire are considered the 4 pillar/core forms of Canton/WongFeiHung style of Hung Gar. Different schools may have additional forms, but these four are always taught for this lineage. So what are the core forms for 7-star and Taichi Mantis? Also, why are the ones selected considered the core forms?
    ...don't think you are, know you are...

Just curious, but is TaiChi mantis a combination of Taichi and mantis..?

Re: mantis core curriculum

Originally posted by Falcor
    Hello,

Could someone tell me what the core forms in the northern mantis curriculum are? I realize that it depends on the version, so I am curious about the following two in particular: Seven-Star Northern Mantis and Taichi Praying Mantis (especially from the CiuChukKai lineage).
    I believe Bung Bo (Stamping/Stomping/Bouncing Step) is a form that is taught in most of the Praying Mantis systems. I think possibly the "8 Elbows" is another. There are more, I'm sure, but these are the only ones I could think of.

I've seen some other threads on this forum answering this question in great detail. If you don't get an answer you are satisfied with, do a search of the "Northern Praying Mantis" forum. You'll find it.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.

Smile Core forms...

Well, I don't speak for others. But as far as my experience in CCK TCPM goes, I think the essence of GM Chiu stuff is not in the forms. It is rather in the Sau Fa. Having said that the forms that are considered core in CCK TCPM would be the same with TJPM community at large meaning Bengbu, Lanjie (Luanjie), Bazhou, and Zhaiyao (only first road in CCK TCPM). If you are looking for GM Chiu own speciality then they would be Sau Fa, Mor Wan Jeung (Taiji Jeung), wooden dummy form, Whipchain, and rope dart.

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Qixing Tangalng:
    Beng Bu, Lanjie, Zhaiyao, Cuo (Cuo/Zuo/Duo) Gang, Shiba Suo, Rouling Quan are core forms. Others would add to this list Fanche and Cha Chui.
    hope that helps,
    B.T

mother forms

Of the Liang Hsuehsiang lineage the forms Luanjie and 8 Elbows are specifically listed as the mother forms.
    The Zhai Yao forms are the essential forms as implied by the meaning of the name "zhai yao"

But I think this misses the point.
    What is really impotant is the essential or mother hand method in training and fighting.

This isn't usually part of the forms, but the applications, or the moves of the forms are hard to apply without understanding this 2 man training.

Oops, I may have been misleading.
    It may seem that if you are without zhai yao you have no essence and devoid of luanjie and bazhou leaves you motherless.

This is absolutely not the case.
    In PM that I have seen most any form can be adopted as your personal favorite and your entire fighting style can be based off of it.

I know all but one of the forms listed by Brendan(only 2 zhai yao), but I think that in fact any one of those forms contains enough material to be your own personal "mother" form.

Maybe it is like Mantis 108 said, the essence is not in the forms.

Qixing Core

I forgot to mention, they may be core forms of the system but are certainly not all the most important forms, not by far! They are considered the core of a large curriculum that teaches a wide variety of methods of fighting. As Tainan said, one need not them all to know the system.

B.T