Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: koryu

Shootfighting? I didn't know that.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Relevat to the topic (flash site)

seems relevant to the topic

A video series site it seemed, yet with information and techniques (some showed).
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Patrick is many things! Yes - he was a shootfighter. He was actually instrumental in helping to coin the name "Pancrase" in the early days.

Go to his site and check out his photo albums. You may even stumble across me!

I currently train in a Sogo Bujutsu (an art including jujutsu, kenjutsu, iaijutsu, naginatajutsu, tantojutsu, jojutsu among other things). I have also had brief experiences with other koryu and some gendai jujutsu (primarily Hakko Ryu).

When speaking of koryu, you are traditionally speaking of Japanese arts founded pre-Meiji restoration. Some arts have a very clear and distinct lineage back to the founder while other arts can be a family art, passed on only within the family without much thought of using menkyo (licensing systems). There are family ryugi still practiced in Japan (one popular teacher is Tetsuzan Kuroda in Omiya city, Japan).

As for koryu in the US, besides those mentioned by Kenso, there are a few Yagyu Shinkage Ryu groups (both Edo and Owari groups); Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo study groups; Shidare Yanagi Ryu Aiki Bugei (although there's apparently some dispute as to whether it's a koryu or gendai); Tendo Ryu Naginatajutsu; a couple of Mugai Ryu Iai Hyodo affiliated dojo; Kuroda-ha ryugi study groups; Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu (although a gendai bujutsu, it has roots in a koryu system); Toda-ha Buko Ryu Naginata-jutsu; Itto Ryu Kenjutsu (a few different variations); a couple of different Araki Ryu groups... to mention a few (I'm sure I still missed some). This does not include the various Eishin and Muso Shinden Ryu affiliated dojo. So there's plenty of koryu to pick from.

On a different note, I can think of another similarity between kung fu and some koryu. Some koryu systems use a unifying principle to tie their weapon work and empty hand, i.e. their jujutsu movements are congruent with how you would move with thier sword or how they use a tanto. I think this is similar to some Kung Fu systems like BaJi or Xing Yi, AFAIK, where the movements of the empty hand (read 'principles') are the same as the use of the spear within their respective systems... or so I've read (please correct me if I'm wrong).

KG

links

BTW, some good resources regarding koryu are:
    www.koryu.com
    www.furyu.com

KG