Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan?

Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan?

Hi guys.

I did a search on all the forums for info but the only result that matched was by a post in 2001 by someone who no longer seems to have an account here.

Anyhoo - my question is this:

Has anyone heard of this system before? I've never heard or seen anything about it and am curious. It seems to be a combination of 'northern' and 'southern' fist or something. I have a friend who took it up and i'm wondering if it's a bit McDojo-ish.

http://www.sussexkungfu.co.uk/ and http://www.nampaichuan.org seem to be the main websites for this.

Thanks

I believe Ffab, who is the webmaster for cyberkwoon, is a practitioner of this style. Go to www.cyberkwoon.com and try doing a search there. You might have to register as a member their first, though.

Nah, it's Fut Gar Kuen. Esoteric Cantonese Southern Shaolin. Close cousin to Hung Gar and CLF.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Nam pai

I think that Fabiens stuff is called "Nei Pai" or internal style.

Nam or Nan is cantonese for "south"

So, Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan only means "Southern Shaolin Style Fist"

I wouldn't even say it was fut gar, hung gar or clf, it's just "Shaolin" Kungfu from the Southern traditions.

In my former school, one of the Style is called "Nan Sil Lum Hak Fu Pai" Which basically translates as "south shaolin black tiger style"

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, however Kung Lek, the art taught by this group is Fut Gar.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

In my former school, one of the Style is called "Nan Sil Lum Hak Fu Pai" Which basically translates as "south shaolin black tiger style"
    I thought PAI indicated "family" or something like that. Man, I need to learn some Chinese.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Hey MK-

"Pai" means "style / school or system"

"Gar" means Family.

At least, as far as I know.

I suppose a Pai could easily be within the boundaries of a family though.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thanks guys

I guess its a case of same stuff, different name.

nam pai chuan

There are nam pai chuan branches in New Zealand ... seems quite flakey, quite the mckwoon, i would say.
    'If we do not go within, we go without'.

This seems to be the same southern style that is trying to claim to own all of Shaolin wushu in Canada - they list Reverend Sek Koh Sam, the so called abbot of the Shaolin Temple in Singapore, as part of their lineage. See:

http://www.shaolinwushu.ca

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1160/trdp116069100e.html
    Last edited by rik; 12-28-2003 at 05:20 PM.

Re: nam pai chuan

Originally posted by mad taoist
    There are nam pai chuan branches in New Zealand ... seems quite flakey, quite the mckwoon, i would say.
    There is nothing flakey about Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan. The style has a direct lineage back to traditional Shaolin. Interesting to note that in the recent National championships for Chinese martial arts where there the sanshou was open to all styles Chinese and non Chinese. Nam Pai Chuan never lost one bout to any other style. Resulting in seven national champions.

One of our precepts is "assume nothing" perhaps you should consider this.

I think it's a little harsh to say they're trying to claim ownership of all Shaolin Wushu. They've registered their school name as a trademark. As I understand it, this is not an uncommon practice in Canada, and may me that they've had problems with former students or imposters.
    From their photos I can't say there's anything wrong with their kung fu (unless those photo'd have been training for twenty years), and Sek Koh Sam has various representatives around the world who aren't affiliated with this group (Jurg Ziegler in Switzerland springs to mind).
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Ben Gash wrote:
    I think it's a little harsh to say they're trying to claim ownership of all Shaolin Wushu.
    I find it rather insulting and ridiculous for one organization to lay claim to exclusive ownership of an ancient piece of Chinese culture and further claim it is their intellectual property.
    Ben Gash wrote:
    They've registered their school name as a trademark. . . .
    No they have not. They are trying to register
    "Shaolin Wushu" as their trademark.
    Ben Gash wrote:
    As I understand it, this is not an uncommon practice in Canada, . . . .
    Actually if this happens, it would be very unusal - as it would be in most other countries. According the trademark guidelines, as I undersand them, you may not register a word or words such as 'Shaolin wushu' which are clearly descriptive, or a word or words that are clearly designate the place of origin or words that constitute the name of the wares or services in another language–such as "gelato," Italian for ice cream; "anorak," Inuktitut for parka; or "Wurst," German for sausage.

r.
    Last edited by rik; 02-11-2004 at 01:52 PM.

I believe the shaolin wushu registered trademark attempt was denied anyways, so it's here nor there really.

It was denied for all the right reasons i understand.
    my personal opinion is that trying to horde the shaolin name for one school is a bit of a cheesy move anyway. lol

even the actual shaolin temple is more generous than that.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"even the actual shaolin temple is more generous than that."

look carefully at their website

http://www.shaolinwushu.ca