Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: General Question for the Forum

knitting needles???? WOW, thanks for the idea...I'll have to add that along with my Spyderco....

cool
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

Spyderco & knitting needles ... a winning combination!

now I gotta go find a copy of Invincible Asia ... glean a few new moves (heh).
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

packing

I packed in High school and college - knives, chains, I was really into those high impact plastic knives - CIA letter openers as they're called. But after some unsavory brushes with the law in my undisciplined youth, I stopped packing. Now, in my undisciplined middle age, I just carry a key chain leatherman, but not on planes, etc. Occasionally I'll have a paint lid opener that fits neatly into my closed fist, but I've even stopped carrying that lately. I figure if someone attacks me, they'll probably have a gun and I'll be SOOL.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene- No use in being SOOL, you should really try one of the smaller Spyderco. I carry a Merlin (www.spyderco.com), small enough not turn the police's head, light enough that sometimes you forget it's there, and VERY NASTY.
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

I wouldn't imagine it's that tough to make a screw-on spearhead. I don't have a sculpture class this semester, so I don't have access to the metal shop (and my metalworking skillz are for sh!t anyway) but I feel certain you'd have an easy time getting a custom job.

I think a little forge-work, then a little tap-and-die ought to do the job nicely.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    I carry a 6 inch flexible whip that can turn into a 7 inch rigid club with me everywhere I go, even the shower.
    And I bet it's always in 7 inch rigid mode when you're in the shower, right?

I've never carried a weapon. I am a weapon.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

sc guy,

Although it sounds very cool, I would not recommend trying to use it against a bear... I mean I guess if it's your only alternative... BUT...

Some bears (Brown bears or Grizzlys) get to be 1200 - 1500 lbs. THAT"S BIG.

I'd hate to be faced with a bear that big who's ****ed off at the spear jab I just gave him! Let's just say that you'd probably have one shot at it, and you'd better pierce his heart or your a goner fo sho.

I carry a retractable baton with me. I have accidentally dropped it 3 times. 2 times I received weird looks from people.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Is that one of those nerf-swords made with a mop handle wrapped with foam rubber?

Anyway, great story!
    There's two major midieval reenactment organizations - Markland and the SCA. Markland weapons are rattan wrapped in an inch of closed-cell plumbing insulation. SCA weapons are bare rattan.

Having been active in both, I've heard quite a number of mugger being surprised by steel plate stories.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

I would think the Civ and Mat are illegal since the blade's length is really what cops look for.

While true the Merlin does have it's weaknesses, as you suggest, it's strengths are great also. The hook blade can be passed off as utility, and as I mentioned before it's very lightweight. I like to use the reverse grip (you can hide the knife that way), plus with the angles we use in kali, the "cutting" effect will be downright nasty. I've tested the Merlin on everything from human cardboard targets to sides of beef, and frankly I don't even see stitches "fixing" a full power slash from the Merlin in this manner.

EmptyCup- All good blades you have there. Nice to see someone with some shank knowledge

Me personally I like serrations, but then again it's warmer here in Texas than where you're at!

Kerambits are great weapons, and unfortunately that's what the police think as well. Over here a kerambit is considered a "weapon", much like the balisong. Our laws over here don't make much sense. For example a good ol' boy can carry a Buck folder openly on his belt, but if he had one of those cheap switchblades (which would fall apart upon impact) he would go directly to jail.

Kerambits are great weapons, and I really like them. In kali we consider it all an extension of the arm. One of my kali friends carries a sharpened flat-head screwdriver in his car.