Thread: Advice to new mantis practitioner

Cool Advice to new mantis practitioner

Hey everyone,

I've been doing praying mantis for only about 7/8 months and i'm really getting into it! I'm only 15, but have had previous training in ITF Taekwondo.

I would be very grateful for any advice on the style, and some help on how to train alone and develop my techniques.

Many thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

only advice is to forget all your taekwondo training.

Root out the basics of your style and then practice your @ss off.

If I was learning mantis from scratch, with what I know now, I would concentrate on single movements(basics) and simple applications 3 -6 hours a day. Simple moves + thousands of repitions = a badda$s fighter-period.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ask you sifu for his advice.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone,

Are there any particular ways that i could develop my mantis claw? Do any praying mantis training aids/aparatus exist?

S
    Black Mantis

blackmantis-practice the basics. have you started stance training? if so, drill that. important to develop a good root-or you'll get knocked around very easily. get used to being close to people. mantis fights up close as opposed to taekwondo that fights at a distance. grip strength--it will develop more as you do drills that involve grabbing. you could try an eagle catcher . or just grab a tree or a bean bag or whatever.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    or whatever.

okay, BTL, I'll stay on topic...

I'll just go from a relaxed hand position to a 'mantis claw' position as fast as I can as many times as I can till the muscles don't work no mo'.

doesn't train specific grabbing but trains the reflex, imo.

try judo to help with grip strength.

it's fun and your forearms/hands will be tired and sore after practice.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Training the mantis claw method uses a bean bag.
    Throw it up and catch it.
    If you tire after 10-20 throws it is good.
    Work up to 100 consecutive throws or more before going for a heavier bag.

There are throws to classmates as well as throws behind back, over shoulder, under legs etc.

This is a part of the oldest tradition of PM.

What type of bean bag?

The kind you sit on? Or like a hackey-sack that is filled with beans, or truly just a bag that is filled with beans?

Sounds interesting, I'd like to give it a shot, just need a little more info on the bag...

Thanks!

Like a bag you practice iron palm with.
    Made of canvas.
    Heavy enough so that your fingers lose grip ability after 10-20 throws.

A hacky sack would be too little, but if you can throw and grab a bean bag chair with one hand I would say you have a good grip.