Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The Art of War" ???????????

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    I am having a similar problem with Wesley Snipes' "The Art of War."
    let's just forget about that for a moment....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I personally ahven't even finished to book yet, and by finish I mean really read it, thoroughly understand it etc. and I have used his philosophies too many times to count in everyday life.

School, work, video games, basically life.

It's similiar to staying calm in a fight. Everyone knows it's the best basic step to a confrontation, but in reality how many can truely utilize it?

There is no question, for me atleast, that this has helped me out in every area of my life when applied.

Study the Art

I have probably three dozen different translations of Art of War in my library. I have the Foreign Languages Press version right nere on my desk. It's a brilliant work, but it does take some time to understand it. I certainly agree that there's nothing more annoying then hippies mindlessly quoting Art of War (although I've never experienced this personally, but I do know a lot of hippies and can imagine how annoying that must be.) Where Art of War becomes truly fascinating is the study and intrepretations that successive scholars have put on it, everyone from Zhuge Liang (strategist of the Three Kingdoms) to Mao. It often seems unimpressive after the first few reads, but it's a strategic treatise, one that is meant to be put into practice, so if you just read it, it won't work. Apply it. Then after you get some reactions, start to work through the commentaries. Just like many CMA concepts, like say horse stance, it's simple on the surface, but gets truly deep after daily practice. In the end, it sets a martial foundation that is immovable.

If Art of War doesn't work for you, you might try the 36 strategies. That one is a bit simpler, more direct, and easier to apply at first.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You ever read, Book of the Five Rings?

Its a book on strategy by Myamoto Musashi. I had to read it a few times before I started understanding the deeper meanings behind the book. I think that the Art of War is a similar experience.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, you're saying it's common sense when to leave locals in rule of a tributary and when to put your own governor in place
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by red5angel

Who wouldn't?!
    One out of two Bush's.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

this may help

a very good website dealing with Art of War

www.sonshi.com
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

Blimey!!!!! Didnt realise this would get such a big responce.

Thanks for all ur views and opinions. Some pretty good points made. Thanks gangstarfist, will order that book asap. I think i should try looking at the book more deeply and maybe then i'll understand.
    "Turn your face to the sun, and your shadows will fall behind you."

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but out of curiosity, what are you looking to get out of the book? Reading it will not give you a sudden awakening into how to become a great fighter. I read this and "A Book of Five Rings" around the time that I was a freshman in high school, and that was the expectation that I had. At first, I was like "wtf is this?" - especially about five rings.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thank you PT-Kali.

Therefore, I have heard of military campaigns that were clumsy but swift, but I have never seen military campaigns that were skilled but protracted.
    Maybe someone should send a copy of this to G.W.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

KC & MK - i had that joke yesterday.... but i had to let it go..... too easy..... .........
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

go rin no sho

Of course I've read Book of Five Rings. In fact, I even wrote my thesis on it for my provost master at arms degree. I was very into Musashi for a period - my Kendo/Iaido/Battojitsu days. Funny you should mention it because I just recently dusted off my Kendo Bogu for show ans tell at my kid's pre-school. Her classmates are all into swords, which makes me sort of a god to them. It's cute. Have you tuned into the Musashi TV show? It's a series out of Japan - I've been enjoying it when I catch them. Not much swrod play though, more of a melodrama.

Anyway, back to understanding the Art of War... I think that on need to examine any great text on four levels:

First is literal and that is the lowest. You can think of fundamentalist Christians and their interpretations of the Bible. Most martial artists probably only get this far with strategy books sadly. This is why I recommend 36 strategies, because it works quite well ont he literal level. Since AoW is mostly speaking about moving armies, unless you are a leader, like the captain of a football team or a manager.

Second is ethical. Think of Aesop's fables. Are you fixated on the idea of a tortoise and hare raced or do you perceive the lesson of persistance. Here is where AoW begins to show its compassion, which is unusual for your typical ruthless strategy books (like the Macheivelli's Prince).

Third is allegorical. This is a bit more abstract. Think of the Prodigal son. In AoW, this is where the commentaries become really interesting, since the various commentators over the centuries are working out the allegories for you, except of course, in some cases, they come to completely different conclusions.

Last, and highest, would be inspirational. Does it inspire you? For me, AoW didn't inspire me for a long time. It was required reading for my field of research, and perhaps the reason why I have so many translations was that it wasn't satisfactory at first, while so many great strategists really venerated it. I felt I was missing something in translation. It wasn't so much the translation, it was its elegance that eventually won me over. Now, I can't even open it without getting quickly absorbed, not just for martial arts, but as a way of life.

BTW, I used to have a book tape of AoW, I think it was Cleary's Shamballa version. The narration was a little hammy in a stodgy British way, but it was great for commuting.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

sorry off topic here:

Gene-

They have a Musashi series in Japan? That sounds neat. Can you give me any more details? Perhaps an internet link or something...

Also, did you see that they are remaking Zatoichi the Blindswordsman (and it looks really awesome)?

Sorry to interupt topic.