Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good Grappler vs. the Real Kung Fu Master

The Good Grappler vs. the Real Kung Fu Master

Who would win a fight between these two invincible warriors, and why?

Two words: CHI BLAST

Trick question. They might be the same person.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Assuming a Good ground fighter isn't of equal skill to a "Real" kung fu Master, then the Master should win because his footwork and counters should be good enough to avoid the takedown. If they were of equal skill. . . . then I don't know.

MP's right. There's no reason they can't be the same person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Well, since the Chinese figured out a long time ago that slippery silk pajamas are the ultimate anti-grappling outfit, the grappler would have no chance. However, if the grappler has entered into his 3rd month of high school wrestling, then I may rethink my position.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

For the most part we generally know what "good grappler" means. For this discussion I'll say that means the person is average at a number of ranges... takedown, throws, position, submission.

What is a Real Kung Fu Master? I don't think any mention of one has ever been posted on here. Would that be a Shaolin Monk?

I'll go with the good grappler to defeat the "whatever the hell a Real Kung Fu Master is" guy.

Well, my point is a master of _____ style should be better than someone who is merely good at _______ style (no matter what the art). If a good grappler can beat a kung fu master, then the guy isn't a real master.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Depends on if the kung fu master has any friends around, or is it a "controlled" environment like the UFC (read UNREALISTIC).
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

Depends on if the kung fu master has any friends around, or is it a "controlled" environment like the UFC (read UNREALISTIC).
    OOOoooo goody! Another hater! How Original!!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Well, my point is a master of _____ style should be better than someone who is merely good at _______ style (no matter what the art). If a good grappler can beat a kung fu master, then the guy isn't a real master.
    Anyone can be beaten, even a "master." Even Joe Montana threw a few intereceptions every year, and not everyone who caught one of those balls was a better player than him. A real master is someone who will win more often than not, not someone who can't be beaten.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Anyone can be beaten, even a "master." Even Joe Montana threw a few intereceptions every year, and not everyone who caught one of those balls was a better player than him. A real master is someone who will win more often than not, not someone who can't be beaten.
    Bull****! They were ALL better than Montana!!!

Originally posted by Merryprankster

Bull****! They were ALL better than Montana!!!
    I was going to use Otto Graham as the example, but I doubt anyone outside of Ohio would have gotten the reference.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

WD,
    First I was only going to give you a 2.2, but seeing as you actually got some responses, I have decided to re-score you at a 4.875

Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Now that there is some indisputably conclusive circular logic

Considering that the 'real' kung fu master was a chef, not a Wu Shu exponent, the good grappler.

Considering that the 'real' kung fu master fights with a 50lb broadsword and not empty handed - the RKF guy.

Or it depends on a great many factors...what kind of grappling? How aware of each others tactics? Who just ate a big burrito? Who's wife is supportive? Who's is a nag? They fighting with weapons? They oiling up or wearing silk pajamas and on and on and on...

Is it crossing hands or a deul? What kind of 'kung fu'?

If you fight, you know there are very few absolutes.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star