Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Carradine!

I loved the old Kung Fu series. I was quite young when it was out. It was probably one of my most earliest martial art influences and sparked my interest from karate to CMA, particularly Shaolin.

David Carradine has had constant struggles from what I understand. He is honest and open about them. I watched a special on him one night on "E" television. They did a biography on him. He has had some problems and at one point he was too caught up in the character he played in the Kung Fu series.

I did read some articles that he was studying martial arts now even though he never really had a martial arts background.

Originally posted by Dim Wit Mak
    When I think of the people who have been springboards for the popularity of the martial arts, I think of him, Bruce Lee and Count Dante.
    Count Dante? Sheeesh.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MasterKiller: I can certainly understand your "Sheeesh". John Keehan certainly had some problems, and will always be infamous for the Chicago Dojo Wars where he got one of his best friends killed. But the fact of the matter is, the guy could really fight. Thousands of kids joined the Black Dragon Fighting Society and learned stuff like "Monkey steals a peach." He was a pioneer in mixing martial arts, and is a legend to some. Anytime a person has to deal with a talented, aggressive person who perhaps has a few loose screws, they have a major problem on their hands. He has had a major impact on the martial arts.
    Figure Eight

Whatever.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

meh carradines a ****ing poser. he had only heard the term kung fu twice when he started on that kung fu series. ask him how he feels about being a twat faced chump.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Unhappy whats all this hating on Carradine?

could any of you be so successful as he in the Martial arts FILM industry? i have spoken with Carradine as well(about his role in Circle of iron;another role that Lee was supposed to play but died before he could be in the film) and carradine seemed to be a decent fellow. but you know he is an actor,,,,so whats the big fukin deal? he was a gymnist and did some light weight boxing before he got into films,,he got trained for movie martial arts and decided to stick with it. he capitolized on the MA craze in the 70's and thats that.

sheesh, cant a guy make a livin' without being burned at the stake?

Peace, TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I just feel people should know his other side, I mean everyone is making him into some sort of Saint in the development of Kung Fu in the United States. Especially in IKF magazine, I mean he did help make Kung Fu known...I'll give him that.

I will give him respect as a MA actor...I'm just trying to be an @ss and give him a hard time
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Re: whats all this hating on Carradine?

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    could any of you be so successful as he in the Martial arts FILM industry? i have spoken with Carradine as well(about his role in Circle of iron;another role that Lee was supposed to play but died before he could be in the film) and carradine seemed to be a decent fellow. but you know he is an actor,,,,so whats the big fukin deal? he was a gymnist and did some light weight boxing before he got into films,,he got trained for movie martial arts and decided to stick with it. he capitolized on the MA craze in the 70's and thats that.

sheesh, cant a guy make a livin' without being burned at the stake?
    There is certainly a difference between making a living at something and exploiting something. Carradine has exploited and pimped his role as Cain since that show was cancelled. I mean, you don't see the guys from Starsky and Hutch in cop magazines or the Duke boys at Nascar events. He's been swinging from the nuts of that TV show for too long and has deluded himself into thinking he was somehow the vehicle for Chinese arts to spread in America. He thinks he's a cultural icon when in fact he's just a B-level actor with no range so he's trying to hang on to a TV show America outgrew a long time ago.

Blog Entries
    ...and he makes RAD Tai Chi videos. Almost as good as Bob Klein's, sans the moustache.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Carradine has been a mixed bag over the years. I'd characterize him as getting bitten by his own ego/bravado at times, but overall I believe he has a serious love and knowledge of the martial arts, and he has had a huge benefit to martial arts awareness. It is very hard to distinguish and separate the actor from the martial-artist from the braggart from the scholar in his case.

Personally, he was a huge influence for me from his "Kung Fu" series and early movies in getting me fascinated with kung fu. He's a working actor, which means he's done his fair share of garbage movies/tv to earn a living, but his good works will live on far beyond his bad.

Garg
    And all that the Lorax left here in this mess
    was a small pile of rocks, with the one word..."UNLESS."
    --Dr. Seuss

The guy is an actor who dabbles in the martial arts, unlike Bruce lee who was a martial artist that dabbled in acting.

Carradine certainly influenced an army of slow speaking fortune cookie spouters to be sure, but i think that had a lot to do with alcoholism.

Anyway, he's not someone I would listen to if I am looking for solid tactical information. Heck, I wouldn't even give him that much time for his esoteric ponderings in that regards.

Just a soup of mixed metaphors, combos of judeo-chritianity fleshed out with taoist concepts and a confucian or buddhist ideal tossed in to the mix at an attempt for authenticity. In other words, and in my opinion, total hogwash. lol

For all he's said to have done for popularizing martial arts, he has also severly damaged their credibility with his cheesy ruminations.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs down

I would NOT like to meet david carradine again. He was very RUDE at the time I met him at Sifu Kam Yuen's in LA.

When I think of the people who have been springboards for the popularity of the martial arts, I think of him, Bruce Lee and Count Dante.
    Like PRC with wushu, bruce lee and the jkd/mma world, david carradine did more to hurt CMA then he did good. IMO

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com