Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help me get in shape

help me get in shape

i don't know what i need to do i am 5'11 ,240 pounds i have jus started to do kungfu again i am gonna try to go 4 times a week
    mondays and wendsdays for 2 and a half hours tues and sat for 1 and a half i have a gut now i hate it i only eat like twice a day mostly junk kfc or pasta or something i really need help i wanna get in shape i mostly would like to keep all but 20 pounds and have the rest as muscle. is this possible ? oh yeah i also don't have time or money for the gym but i am gonna buy free weights and stuff so please help me out

Jogging, basketball, sit ups, push ups, chin/pull ups, dip sets...

One thing that will definitely help is changing your diet. I'll tell you what I did(lost 15 pounds of fat,gained 6 pounds of muscle, and went from 17%BF to 7.5%BF in 2 months). You should lose yours quicker though.

What you want to do is try to lose about 10 pounds at a time. Take the weight that you want to be(10 pounds less then you are at that time)and multiply it by 14.25 That is how many calories you want to take in every day.
    For the amount of carbs,proteins, and fats that you can have every day do this:

Carbs:Calories(for the day) x .30 then divide by 4
    Protein:Calories x .40 then divide by 4
    Fat:Calories x .20 the divide by 9

Follow that until your close to being 10 pounds lighter then drop all that down by 10 more pounds and you should get steady results.

Another thing that will help tremendously is HIIT. You can read about how to do it here:

http://trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

It's a little over half way down the page.

What kind of results are you wanting to get with your wieghts?

Just let me know if you have any questions and good luck.

Actually, since you were only eating twice a day there might be a faster way for you to lose the weight. In the morning before you eat or drink anything weigh yourself(in the nude) and get your waist measurement at your navel. Post them on here and ill set you up a diet plan.

Originally posted by Viper555
    you want to do is try to lose about 10 pounds at a time. Take the weight that you want to be(10 pounds less then you are at that time)and multiply it by 14.25 That is how many calories you want to take in every day.
    For the amount of carbs,proteins, and fats that you can have every day do this:

Carbs:Calories(for the day) x .30 then divide by 4
    Protein:Calories x .40 then divide by 4
    Fat:Calories x .20 the divide by 9

LOL...didn't someone say they were led to believe there would be no math

check this out...

first and very important...do not I repeat do not mix sugar and complex carbs...things like rice, pasta, cereal, bread...and if you can help it avoid these things altogether...get your complex carbs from fresh leafy veg...and avoid sugary fruits...in fact ixnay on the sugar at every opportunity...invest in some equal or sugar alternative, ad get to luvin sugar free jelly, it's a good sweet fix w/no calaories and increases fluid intake

there are alot of really tasty fat free alternativs..my daugter is a fiend for foody delights, but she never knows the difference...

on rising have about 100 mls of lemon juice with your morning vitamin...then do a black coffee and/or a green tea ...take a pee and do some cardio, like a quick 1/2 hr walk/jog or aerobics sesh..maybe you'd like to do some pilates, skipping, shadow boxing or similar...

directly post workout, replace your fluids, with something like either an equal sweetened lemon juice with soda water or a "replace" supplement..
    first hr post workout : get into a protein shake...don't worry if you're feeling hungry, protein is what makes us feel full...give it about 15 mins...go take a cold shower to tighten up your mscles you just worked and invigorate our body...

after a shower you might like a carb..I highly recommend for yourself not exceeding 20 g of compex carbs per day...egg whites, being all protein are guilt free and will satisfy you...you can mix this with a lil chilli sauce or teriaki sauce, mayo or some leafy salad...occassional oily tuna, grilled fish, chicken or turkey is another good option...

for carbs if your nor satisfied from your leafy produce, go for a handful of rice crackers or weight watchers make really good biscuits for like 3-4 gms of complex carb per serve...maybe even check out some slim bar meal replacements and diy clear leafy soups w/ egg white and herbs..

protein shakes are unlimited and an occassional thermogenic shake is not a bad addition...you can buy a weeks supply of each for $50-70 ish

use stairs wherever possible, and don't be shy to leave the car a fw blocks out and walk instead...

go light on the dairy, except after 3pm...make it fat free if possible, and sip hot and cold beverages through out the day, like gree tea, hot nmd cold, straight water, sweetened or not, and lemon juice w/soda water is a great digetsive aide and metabolism booster.

It's really not difficult if you're interested and prviding you always have a tray of boiled eggs on hand, there's no reason to spend alot of $$$ or suffer hunger...hey they even make fat free ice-cream, so go ahead and through a scoop in your shake, make it on goats milk(another metab booster) and enjoy your new health
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 02-28-2004 at 06:39 PM.

ok i am feeling yall on the diet tip i want to look ripped darn body fat question how many days a week should i do kungfu among other things and also what is good for working out the back i want to get a tribal tatto thier but i want my backin shape along with my chest and abs and arms and i need more endurance lately when i free spar i run off of the adreniline rush afterwards i am wasted
    Last edited by greyfox; 02-28-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Originally posted by greyfox
    ok i am feeling yall on the diet tip i want to look ripped darn body fat question how many days a week should i do kungfu

I think as long as you're working our style at least an hour 2 a couple of times a week, should be sweet enough...

among other things

you're right...there's alot more to good kungfu practioner than just form/style work....aim for a lil exercise daily...min...20mins - 1hr

and also what is good for working out the back i want to get a tribal tatto thier but i want my backin shape along with my chest and abs and arms a

1.obviously puh ups are great place start...also lay on your front..hands under chin..raise chest and top abdomin off floor extend/squeeze arms (elbows bent) back as far as is your reach...come in strong..do...50 each time...this will work you chest arms, and upper back..

2.rest with hands undr chin.. legs flat back...extend/squeeze lower back/ lower legs upward...lower slowly...should feel it in your lower back ..add squeezing butt action ....do 60

3.sit with legs extended front toes up...arms parrellel out to side...twist twice same direction and breath out ..whoo...whooo....return to centre..repeat other side..push breath down, tummy tight..ribs in... breath down to your lower abdomin.......do 25 each side

4.same seated positon...hands under chin, elbows bent...bottom spine planted...back straight, ribs in..tummy tight..bend side ways so your elbows come maybe half way to the ground...keep both sides of butt cheeks firmly on floor

5.then grab the edge of chair..( while it's on the ground )/ stairs / a box....anything with a lil height...palms flat...finger tips facing forward..elbows bent...feet flat in front, spine loose...lower youreslf squeezing through shoulders each rep...go slow...then quick...do 30...work up to 50..then 70 ...then do a few times a day

nd i need more endurance lately when i free spar i run off of the adreniline rush afterwards i am wasted

both yoga..of which kungfu is an adapted/modified type version....pilates and walking even...will help you out here...try walking one min...joggging one min etc.. for 20 ish mins...

also, for added stamina...do knee raises...stand with knees slightly bent, raise arms, and quickly pull knee up, like you';re gonna slam someones' head into your knee...as you bring your arms down strongly, add slight twist...do this on each leg minimum 20 times...increase reps as you can manage...

cool...I think for now that 'll cover you....

have fun

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    after a shower you might like a carb..I highly recommend for yourself not exceeding 20 g of compex carbs per day
    Nice tips in general BL, but 20g carbs per day would put him into deep ketosis. Don't want to be advising that unless greyfox does his research. I'm gunna be doing a ketogenic diet soon, but I'm reading the (excellent) 350 page book "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. I want to know what I'm getting myself into, and McDonald's book is very thorough and written for an athlete's viewpoint.

Viper,
    How do you figure out how many calories of Fat/Carbs/Protein a given item has? It's usually labelled by Gram, instead, right? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Mike Falken

Protein has 4 cal/g.
    Carbohydrate has 4 cal/g.
    Fat has 9 cal/g.

Originally posted by Toby
    Protein has 4 cal/g.
    Carbohydrate has 4 cal/g.
    Fat has 9 cal/g.

Gracias, Toby.

Mike

A very wise man (Covert Bailey) said: "The best exercise is the one you'll do." If you like kung fu, but jogging bores you, do kung fu.

Do not deprive yourself - you won't be able to keep it up forever. But if you like steak, and you like ice cream, buy and eat the steak, and you won't miss the ice cream. Most of the various diet schemes end up restricting calories somewhat and doing some exercise, so of course they work (at least, for as long as you can keep them up). I would suggest living like our ancestors did - and I don't mean nineteenth century farmers; I mean the way people lived for 250,000 years - vigorous exercise, lean meat, lots of fresh fruit and veggies.

If you have energy after your kung fu classes, you might try strength building and endurance work. Building more muscle will not only give you the energy to work out longer (by making it easier to move around), but the muscles burn up the calories. Long slow jogging will get you lean faster, but wind sprints will get you fit faster.

If you cut the calories more than a little bit, you will be fasting. Only lean people can afford to fast - it teaches your body to *conserve calories ("Help! It's a famine! Cut the metabolism!") You want to teach your body to *burn fat, and you do that by using fat to fuel exercise.

Eat better, not less. And don't increase your exercise too much all at once. If you seem to burn out, drop all the extra stuff for a couple of weeks, just do three or so kung fu classes a week, then graduallly raise the amount again.

I had a 5-hour kali seminar yesterday, and just finished a 2-hour class in jujitsu and taiji tonite. I'm 53 and in it for the long run.
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.
    - Chaucer

I don't recall anyone saying anything about fasting...In fact, I reccommend eating several times (up to 6 or 8) a day...

as for Keto diets, providing he keeps up fluids and electrolites with the sugar alternative and soda water etc there is no need for this type of plan to be detrimal..even over a long period....but this only my personal experience combined with the textbook knowledge from DIET PRESCRIPTION AND NUTRITION CLASSES ....

What ever folks..I know it works and that there is hardly a more effective way to do it quiclky...take it or leave it..I'm not fussed good luck with whatever you decide

BL,

I'm not saying keto diets don't work. In fact, I'm trying one myself once I'm prepared for it. Just saying greyfox needs to know what he's getting himself in for. There may be harm in him just cutting to 20g/day carbs without knowing what he's doing or what's happening to his body. E.g. what if he did that for a few days and then went out for a night and drank a lot? Alcoholic ketoacidosis? Dehydration? Or just much more susceptible to alcohol? etc. But I'm sure you know all that, just pointing out that greyfox should know it too before trying it.

excessive alcohol consumption under any circumstance is going to be at the detriment of your health no matter what freakin eating plan your on

lol..I'm sure fox's got a lil common sense himself, it's not rocket science, just some healthy eating...

think he'll be ok..and if he's sincerely hungry, I really don't think the guy is gonna sit there fading away to shadow.....I'll give him credit for that much I'm sure