Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: space adds: pretty ****ed up

space adds: pretty ****ed up

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Orion, the Big Dipper and Andromeda could be joined in the heavens by ads for soft drinks and cigarettes if a Russian inventor's device catches on.

Alexander Lavrynov, a spacecraft designer, said he has patented a device for putting advertising into space that would be seen from Earth, Interfax news agency reported Wednesday.

"Space commercials could embrace huge areas and a colossal number of consumers," he said. "This would literally be intercontinental coverage."

He said the satellites would be visible in the night sky by employing sunlight reflectors, with multiple satellites linked together to create a message large enough to be seen.

"People would be able to see writing in the skies from the Earth no worse than they see the stars," he said.
    where's my beer?

And people wonder why I'm a misanthrope. This guy needs to be ground up into little pieces.
    Hope is the denial of reality.

We sail the seas, of negativity
    to banish kindness from this place
    (Sans scruples, sans humility)
    To behold the fierceness of wolves
    assailing ye saints thoroughly
    (Sans love, sans compassion)
    To behold the wails of thine in affright
    whilst evil preyeth upon thy hearts
    (Sans warmth, sans pity)
    To behold a world, darkly astir
    rising in madness and mystery
    (sans light, sans life)

this is one of those "flying car" ideas. Every once in a while someone sort of revisits it and stirs the pot. Fortunately it's not practical on any level for any company to take it very seriously.

Yeah, I don't see Coke spending a million dollars to advertise in space, when no one is outside anymore anyway....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

If Coke could make a buck off of it, they would....

You seen any Tampax cars in Colorado? I've seen several cars this year with ads splattered all over. I'm assuming someone got a price-break to rent the space, or they are company cars, or something.....

I hate corporate culture.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

You seen any Tampax cars in Colorado?
    No, must be an Oklahoma thing
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Yeah, I don't see Coke spending a million dollars to advertise in space, when no one is outside anymore anyway....
    i agree with master killer ... if the technology becomes available coke, pepsi, and budweiser most certainly will.

they all spend millions on superbowl advertising so whats a multibillion dollar campain that the entire globe can see even if its only for a few minutes?

i just hope those comparing it to the flying cars are right. if it does happen i hope that it's at least reserved for special times like the superbowl or something ... that might even be kind of neat. then again, it would just be laying the way for the spamming of our skys.
    where's my beer?

ok if everyone chips in to buy me a plane ticket to moscow i will personally fly to moscow and beat the guy to death and destroy all his notes and data on the matter.

what a crappy idea that is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i just don't see it happening. First of all it would become an international issue, on top of that fact that you would have people in an uproar about screwing up the nice view. It's sort of like wanting to put a big billboard on Mt. Mckinnley or something.

It's not going to happen now. First, Bush has to launch Sky-Net, then the Terminators have to come to wipe out humanity, and then you'll see the ads. I'd say 3 years, tops.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

That's grotesquely appalling. If it ever comes close to happening, I say we skin him, fill the skin with rocksalt, then sew it back on.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

ooooh, chang Style wants to use Tibetan Golog tactics!

I like that idea!

Let's do it just for the taste of it!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

What's Tibetan Golog? I was just using my imagination to come up with something horrible.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

The golog (sometimes called golok or other variations on the name) are a people of the high plateau of tibet.

When emissaries were sent to make peace with them and to curtail their vicious raids and banditry, the emmisaries were sent back skinned then filled with rocks, sewn up then thrown over their horses.

so, pretty close to the same idea except that salt has too much value on the plateau to stuff a dead man full of it. But your idea came pretty close to their "diplomatic replies"

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Dude thats freakin' crazy..

but ah, yeah, isn't all of Tibet on a high plateau.
    practice wu de